News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ari Techner

Re: Video Of New Holes At Royal Portrush
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »
I walked the new holes last year while they were growing in.  They are definitely better than the holes they replaced however I felt like they were a little out of character for the rest of the course.  Still a positive change and I think the old 16th will be a great finishing hole.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 07:35:14 AM »
#8..."the left hand side is just unplayable".  Doesn't sound good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »
He might have rehearsed his speech a bit more, after he had rewritten it a bit.

The left side didn't look unplayable. Most slicers won't know it's there, among the tyros.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »
Ronald

You must be joking.  Did you see the rough?  Hitting a bunker over there would be a blessing.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »
With less mounding at the rear left side of the green they'd be great views of the Valley Course and towards the town. Spectator mounding comes to The Open?
atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »

Ciao

I noticed that in general on the pictures and video of the new holes.
Traffic in time will help, but likely not by 2019.

That said, most of off the fairway was unplayable the last time I was there.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »

Ciao

Portrush is a difficult driving course that doesn't suffer loose play...such a shame because the design is wonderful.

Ciao

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
Would they keep the rough that high for everyday play? I based my supposition on that presumption.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:00:50 AM »

Ciao
No worse than both the left and right of most all holes at Saunton East being nearly unplayable.  ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »

I was there about a month ago.

It's easy to really like the 7th since it climbs its way through a natural valley all the way to the green.

The 8th has a tough uphill tee shot, where you really want to cut the corner, but missing left is likely a lost ball.
And there's almost no point taking the risk, since you cut off so little.

Rights is no bargain either .... lots of long grass there too, but we'll see how they prepare the hole.
The rest of the course was much more playable than 10 years before, with more immediate areas cut.

Greens are both well contoured and tend to shed shots at the edge.

The holes are better than the old ones because the setting is far superior.
People can nitpick small details, if they like, but really, they are an improvement when you get down to it.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Josh Stevens

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
Never played the course.  Do the new holes gel with the rest?  I will look for some pics, but the new ones look a bit modern??

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 07:49:25 AM »
Ian

What did you think of the The Valley changes? To me, this is the far bigger question.  The Dunluce was already world class so it didn't really need an upgrade. 

Ciao

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »

I thought the new 15th was a really nice par three.
Plays tough when into the wind off the sea (because of the elevated tees)

The new tee shot was a lot of fun on the extended 17th, which is now the 16th.
Played as a fun short five, worked well.

The new (old?) 17th was a strong par three playing into the dunes (nice setting in bowl)

The 18th for me was a let down.
Tee shot provides a pretty view behind.
But the hole is either a straight forward lay-up or a play for the valley left of the green.
Thought this could have been far more interesting with different choices
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
Sounds like changes are pretty good.  Considering the loss of the great 1-2 punch of 5 and 6, do the changes make The Valley better or worse?

Ciao

Ben Voelker

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
Sounds like changes are pretty good.  Considering the loss of the great 1-2 punch of 5 and 6, do the changes make The Valley better or worse?

Ciao

Sean,

I played the Valley last October (I did not play the old 5-6).  My thoughts on the finish are very similar to Ian's, the two par 3's are good, the 18th is a bit bland and the I like the current 16th as a par 5.

The biggest issue to me is that many of the holes in the middle of the valley are similar and not that interesting.  With the old 5-6 they would have been broken up a bit more, but they seemed to dominate the middle of the round to me with the current course.  Overall, I found the Valley to be a bit of a letdown considering the praise I had heard before I visited.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
Ben

I don't know the order of the holes on The Valley so its difficult to discuss the flow of the course.  I thought the old Valley started off quite slow and didn't really get going until the 5th, then fizzled at the end. 

I do think that if the course now goes 1-4 then jumps to the old 7th, then that is not a great start at all.  BUt then I never bought into the Valley as a Doak 7. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:58:28 AM by Sean_A »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »
Never played the course.  Do the new holes gel with the rest?  I will look for some pics, but the new ones look a bit modern??
The new holes practically have to gel better with the rest than 17 and 18, which were out of character with the rest.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »

The 18th for me was a let down.
Tee shot provides a pretty view behind.
But the hole is either a straight forward lay-up or a play for the valley left of the green.
Thought this could have been far more interesting with different choices

I thought the 18th was pretty good. Choose to lay up or go long off the tee. Good green complex it seemed to me. Talking to staff in the clubhouse at lunch between rounds I was told they thought the old 18 was a lousy par 3, so the new hole is much improved. Only been there once, so couldn't say myself.

Conor Rankin

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »

Ciao

Portrush is a difficult driving course that doesn't suffer loose play...such a shame because the design is wonderful.

Ciao

The winter rough management program I think is aimed at reducing the problem of over punishment just off the fairway. Removal of the difficult and thick meadow grass whilst retaining the tall wispy grass for visual intimidation from the tee similar to Muirfield

David Davis

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Have to say I'm a huge fan of Royal Portrush before the changes and I absolutely love the new holes. While a few of said they don't feel they fit in with the rest of the course. This is such a general statement, why don't you think they fit in? What is it specifically about those holes from an architectural perspective that gives you this feeling?

I think the new holes are fantastic personally. They were designed to fit perfectly in the landscape and are routed wonderfully through perfect links land that was already there. The shaping of the greens is excellent, ties in perfectly with the surrounds and allows for excellent pin placements.

The new blowout bunker on the right side of 7th is such a cool dedication the best feature on the old 17th and doesn't look forced at all either. It's like it was always there.

Simply two great new holes to replace too average holes, improve the routing, even make the walk make more sense and certainly jump a great course even higher up in it's standings.

In comparison, Turnberry's renovation which is absolutely sublime IMO still is not as good as Royal Portrush now and that says a lot. The main question should be, has Royal Portrush raised the bar even past Royal County Down to take over the top spot in Ireland. I feel it has but want to make it back to RCD next year to reconfirm. Imagine it has, this can only be good for golf in general. As RCD will perhaps decide to follow it's brother and improve on the last two holes. Not saying there is any more wrong with them than there was at Portrush but.....

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back