News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Banchory or Ballater ?
« on: May 25, 2017, 05:08:10 AM »
I'm going up north for a few days with friends and playing Balmoral on the first day. The question is where to stay over night afterwards and where to play the next day. The choice is either Ballater or Banchory. Anyone have any thoughts on those two ? Clearly there are other options but the choice is coming down to these to so comments on them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Niall

Thomas Dai

Re: Banchory or Ballater ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:17:23 AM »
Been quite a while but i have played both quite a few times and Ballater is the better imo. I believe Ballater has a MacKenzie connection.

Tell us more in due course Niall, about Balmoral as well.

atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »
Ballater certainly

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I've played Ballater and quite enjoyed it. Not played Banchory though and was interested in finding out if it was worth the diversion. I suspect we will probably stay in Ballater as well.

Dai - Ballater does have a MacKenzie connection in that he redesigned the course and also designed a nine hole relief course that is now largely lying under the caravan park.

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
Ballater is certainly superior to Banchory, both in terms of design quality and setting. Banchory is still charming, but in a ten-game match Ballater has it 8-2.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Not the answer to your question, but I'd stop at Dalmunzie Castle for 9 on your way-up...well worth an hour, if the sun is shining!

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 05:18:32 AM »
Clyde

Absolutely. I've already suggested it but I'm not organising. Knowing the other players in the group, a couple of the par 3's at Dalmunzie might be a bit of a challenge for them in terms of carry distance. I also suggested Pitlochry both for a game and as a stop over but suspect we'll end up in Ballater which will be no hardship.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »

Why chose Niall? The day is long enough to play an easy round at both.

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:40 AM »
Niall
No doubt it is Ballater over Banchory.

Yet Banchory is worth seeing for for a few of its holes.

And if seeing quirk is your thing, then the blind uphill par 3 16th meets the criteria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXOgM23Fg8
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:29:17 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »

Why chose Niall? The day is long enough to play an easy round at both.

Jon

Jon

Let's just say that I represent the youth policy in this fourball. I'm not sure we are even doing two rounds of the nine hole Balmoral course never mind two 18 hole courses in one day.

Brian

Thanks for that. I was hoping you would chip in. For you and others that know that area, what's the general order of courses along Deeside in terms of quality ?

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
Niall,

Braemar has a couple of cool holes. Aboyne has more than a couple. I'd put both ahead of Banchory but many would argue that point as Banchory tended to have a good club feel, a better budget and hence better conditioning than all of the others. Ballater wins out over all three.

Deeside has had a few too many hands making changes. Affluent membership and decent day out.

Peterculter a relatively average modern addition.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Braemar has a couple of cool holes. Aboyne has more than a couple. I'd put both ahead of Banchory but many would argue that point as Banchory tended to have a good club feel, a better budget and hence better conditioning than all of the others. Ballater wins out over all three.
+1. If your driving via the Glenshee road, Ballater makes even more sense.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back