News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Had an interesting discussion today with a few of the Highlands locals about the par 3's at RDGC and Golspie. It seems the set of "threes" at Golspie are considered better by many, as a set, than those at RD.

Golspie has five 3's (2,6,10,16,17) and they all play to a different point on the compass. Each is totally different from the others, varies greatly in the shot required, and play to a great range of distances.

The RD 3's (2,6,10,13) do not offer the variety of style or challenge of the Golspie 3's, my friends argue. The RD 3's only play in, basically, two directions and (with the exception of the exceptionally difficult second) offer a somewhat similar challenge.

We had great fun playing this "who's best" game.

What say you?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Boerger

I give the nod to RD, but not by much. I've only played Golspie once and RD twice, but Golspie was recovering from some conditioning issues which has some bearing on my choice (and obviously experience). #2 and #6 at RD really impressed me.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Niall C

Mike

Indeed, an interesting question and I’m probably not best to comment but that’s never stopped me from wading in before ! So…..

Of the RD par 3’s the best two are the 2nd and the 13th. The only thing that detracts from the 2nd for me is that the gorse is too close (or at least it was last time I was there). The 13th in some respects is a fairly standard design but just done very well. It reminds me a bit of the 10th at NB, except that the NB green is more angled.

I can’t say I think a huge amount of the other two par 3’s at RD. The 6th is a basic benched in green that doesn’t offer the same strategy option that the 2nd does, while the front cross bunker makes the 10th near impossible down wind or even with little wind for your average punter I suspect. Can’t help thinking with a little remodelling of that bunker it could be made a much better hole

I’ve only played Golspie once so harder to remember but no clunkers from what I remember although the hole with the ponds in front would be better without the ponds IMO. The stand out hole is the 16th and probably the best between the two courses. Not a lot in it but probably Golspie by a head.

You will note that I only mentioned wind once. I think it matters not a jot which way the hole faces because at some point you are going to winds from all directions. In that respect I think holes should be at least playable irrespective of wind direction hence my criticism of the 10th at RD unless of course it was designed with the intent that you bounced the ball over the bunker, but I tend to think not !

Niall 

Sam Andrews

Re: the 10th played Dornoch twice last week, first time into a wind, which was fine, but second time with a bit of breeze behind. I stuffed the shot but bounced the ball over the bunker, while one of the party nobbed it off the tee only for it to worm its way onto the green between the centre and right hand bunker. We couldn't believe it. Seems the play downwind is a stout putt!
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Ally Mcintosh

Golspie.

Dornoch is one of my favourite courses. The par threes are more elegant than at Golspie but not as much fun. And without the variety.

Thomas Dai

To me the most interesting of all the par-3's combining both courses is the 2nd at Royal Dornoch. But the next 5 would all be from Golspie with the others from RD propping up the listing.
Anyone care to add those at Brora into the mix? Maybe even Tain or Skibo?

Atb

David McIntosh

Golspie edges it for me.

The greens on 6, 10 and 16 at Golspie are fantastic and the 2nd is no slouch either. The only one of Golspie's par 3s I wasn't that keen on was 17, which I thought was fairly ordinary and a bit of a long slog. One of my playing partners told me Mackenzie had a hand in the two-tiered 16th green - can anyone verify this?

I think the 2nd and 6th are the best par 3s at Dornoch. The 13th is a solid hole but not in the same class as the other two and the 10th has its issues due to a lack of playability downwind. Despite this slight criticism, Dornoch is still up there as one of the best courses I've played.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:29:54 PM by David McIntosh »

Mitch Hantman

There is someone who knows both courses intimately.  I wonder when David Tepper will chime in here......... ;D

Bill_McBride

I'm in the Golspie camp, although I did like Dornoch's 6th a lot.  Both 2 and 10 were a crap shoot.  Lots more variety at Golspie and all five very playable.

David_Tepper

"The 13th is a solid hole but not in the same class as the other two"

The new elevated tee on 13th at RD improves the "look" of the hole greatly. From the new tee, you get to see almost the entire surface of the green as well as a sweeping view of the beach and the Dornoch Firth. If the new tee box is not being used on the day you play there, be sure to take 20-30 seconds to walk up on the tee to admire the view. 

Jon Wiggett

David,

the new tee may improve the visual but does it improve the hole? By the lack of mention of this by you I suspect not. Still, I will get a look at it tomorrow so will be able to form my own opinion. It will also be the first time I will have played the 13th since 1987.

As to the question it is hands down Golspie for me. Excellent set with variety in the length, direction and challenge of the hole. If I have one gripe about Dornoch it is the fact that the par 3s all ask the same question with the 10th being the worst of the bunch.

Jon

Sean_A

Both sets are good.  I think if the gorse was cleared out for Dornoch's 2nd that I would choose Dornoch...because the 2nd is the only really potential world class short hole on either course.  As it is though, with gorse crowding the hole, I would go with Golspie, but its a close run thing because I think Dornoch's 6th is the second best short hole of the lot. That said I don't care for the 10th and I despise the walk back for 13...the hole isn't good enough to justify the walk.   

So there is a new tee on Dornoch's 13th...making the walk back to the tee even further?

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:55:37 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Crane

Somebody is trying to get on Teppers good side!  I am so glad that I played Golspie with him - my wife hung a picture she took of the course in our den.

I thought the 16th was just a super hole and very photogenic.

Now that I think of it, they were all great.

But I have a special place in my heart for R D.

Fun discussion, but it just comes down to opinion and taste.

Kyle Henderson

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Andy Shulman

Several of you have mentioned gorse that encroaches on #2 at RD, but I don't recall it being an issue from my visit there in 2013.  Has it been added (or allowed to grow in) since then?  I recall the hole as clearly the best (and most challenging) of the par-3s at the two courses.

Niall C

Andy

My recollection of the 2nd at RD, certainly anytime I've played it in recent years, is that it is very hard to be right of the green or indeed fall off the green to the right and not end up in the gorse. That might be more perception than fact but I don't think so. Not sure of the left side as I'm more of a slicer than a hooker.

I suppose you could argue that the penalty for missing accentuates the lay up option but I tend to think the recovery from the side of the green would be tough enough (and more fun than playing out of a gorse bush) to make you think of laying up. When all said and done, how often do you come across a par 3 that offers strategic options.

Niall

Thomas Dai

I'd be curious to know the percentage of tee shots that reach and stay on the 2nd green at Royal Dornoch. I suspect the percentage would not be high.
Atb

David_Tepper

"One of my playing partners told me Mackenzie had a hand in the two-tiered 16th green - can anyone verify this?"

David M. -

I have never heard anything at all about Mackenzie being involved at Golspie.

DT

Charles Lund

Dave Tepper might remember the reason I have fond memories for the 17th at Golspie.  I generally don't like par threes where I hit driver, but #17 at Golspie is one I will remember.

Charles Lund

Niall C

David

I don't think anyone at the MacK Society have heard of it either. I suspect someone once called it a McKenzie style green because of the tiers and then people assumed he designed it.

Niall

David McIntosh

Niall,

I suspect you are right as Golspie is all Braid as far as I'm aware. The 16th wouldn't look out of place on a MacKenzie course though so easy to see how someone could make the (incorrect) assumption.

ChipRoyce

@michaelwhitaker I'd assume Mr. Jerry Kluger, your current traveling companion, was part of the conversation with the locals.

Assuming that he didn't accidentally (or intentionally) start an international incident, curious to hear his opinion on the topic?

Steve Salmen

The new 13th tee, though only a few feet left and a few feet taller, makes the hole look a lot different to me.

The assistant super told me about it before I saw it for myself. I was very skeptical because I feared it would make the player carry the left bunker.

It's the same yardage but allows you to see much more if not all the green and more of the trouble around it. I'd be fine if the club got rid of the old tee.

Jerry Kluger

With ignorant bliss I hit the left front corner of the 2nd at RD and stayed on the green. Did not play Golspie but did stop by and see a few of the holes.

Niall C

This new tee at the 13th RDGC, how old is it ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back