News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Re: Artificial Tee @ NCAA Women's Championship
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
They could have just put down wood chips or sand for a tee box. I have played many a tee box with no grass, just sand, here in Virginia Beach. Or they could have moved the tee all the way up to the fairway like they did at TPC Las Colinas several years ago and make it a par 3, or short parr 4, for the day.

Keith Grande

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
For a "links" course, there sure are alot of trees...

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »
For what it's worth, relative to the linked routing, the nines are flipped for the tournament.

Do they have two clubhouses and ranges or...?

Andy Johnson

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »
Place is best defined as amateur golf course architecture. I played it a few weeks ago, I put together a writeup on the conundrum which is Jerry Rich and Rich Harvest Farms.  http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/rich-harvest-farms-review

Buck Wolter

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
If you read the golf week article, there was much difficulty in planting a tee. so much so, in fact, that golfers began to abandon driver and simply hit hybrid off the turf. So many good turf pads out there that allow you to plant a tee, that this faux pas is unforgivable and avoidable.

http://golfweek.com/2017/05/19/ncaa-golf-women-rich-harvest-farms-artificial-turf-tee/

Hard to believe they couldn't have seen this coming -- coming on the heels of not seeding the #1 ranked softball team in the country in the Top 16 you have to wonder how seriously they take women's athletics.

That's a joke right?
Nearly every college in the country has more women's sports teams than men's.
Some sports have more intercollegiate participants than there are in high school.

They hit off a mat off one hole to squeeze an event in under trying circumstances.
love the quote "some of the participants had never hit off a mat in their life"  Really?
NO CHANCE that's true with indoor studios, etc. or God forbid-a driving range mat-oooooh
ZERO
My alma mater dropped baseball so that we can keep equivalent scholarships but that is not the NCAA making that decision its the feds. Did you read the article? They couldn't get tees in the mat far enough to tee a hybrid the right height -- like playing the final four with 10.5 foot rims.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

BCowan

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »
Have u ever heard of short tees?  I swear they come back from college dumber.  Where do u think the Midwestern college teams practice in the winter time?  On mats. 
The members or guests most likely hit off that tee but that's unacceptable for a skilled college player that practices 3-4 months off mats? As mentioned earlier the lack of sunlight prevents grass from growing. This course was nice enough to give up their facilities for 2 weeks and they have to endure this nonsense.

If you are so concerned about equality why don't you petition Kingsley to host this instead of bitching and doing nothing.  10.5ft rims is laughable anaolgy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:23:42 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
Have u ever heard of short tees?  I swear they come back from college dumber.  Where do u think the Midwestern college teams practice in the winter time?  On mats. 
The members or guests most likely hit off that tee but that's unacceptable for a skilled college player that practices 3-4 months off mats? As mentioned earlier the lack of sunlight prevents grass from growing. This course was nice enough to give up their facilities for 2 weeks and they have to endure this nonsense.

If you are so concerned about equality why don't you petition Kingsley to host this instead of bitching and doing nothing.  10.5ft rims is laughable anaolgy.

Kingsley hosted a Spartan Invitational several years ago (Maybe that's why you're upset) -- I don't think it has the 'resistance to scoring' necessary and fescue can't put up with that many giant divots being taken in 2 weeks.

My bitching has everything to do with my hope that NCAA golf makes the leap to big time --there are countless courses that would love to hold this event, within 30 miles you could find 15 better candidates. Maybe you should petition Uof Mich to replace all the tees with mats -- think of the cost savings and there's no difference -- maybe replace the greens too I hear you can barely tell the difference.  These aren't kids and this isn't the Ann Arbor city junior championship.

“I hit a hybrid off the tee, and the tee wouldn’t go down,” Baylor’s Amy Lee said. “… I was kind of afraid of popping it up in the air. (The tee) was probably triple the height of what I normally put it.”

That's the best they can do?

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

BCowan

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »

Kingsley hosted a Spartan Invitational several years ago (Maybe that's why you're upset) -- I don't think it has the 'resistance to scoring' necessary and fescue can't put up with that many giant divots being taken in 2 weeks.

My bitching has everything to do with my hope that NCAA golf makes the leap to big time --there are countless courses that would love to hold this event, within 30 miles you could find 15 better candidates. Maybe you should petition Uof Mich to replace all the tees with mats -- think of the cost savings and there's no difference -- maybe replace the greens too I hear you can barely tell the difference.  These aren't kids and this isn't the Ann Arbor city junior championship.

“I hit a hybrid off the tee, and the tee wouldn’t go down,” Baylor’s Amy Lee said. “… I was kind of afraid of popping it up in the air. (The tee) was probably triple the height of what I normally put it.”

Spartan invitation ain't the NCAA. Maybe you fescue elitist who think u are so smart should rethink your outlook. 

Like those 30 other courses would want to host 2 weeks of golf and give up their course.  Petition UM, it isn't long enough to host NCAA for men.  Replace tees with matts, that is about the dumbest comeback.

Inverness already hosted the NCAA, my father voluntered, he didn't sit on the sidelines and bitch. Many of my friends growing up played D1 golf and toledo went to NCAA.  These college kids are pampered beyond child worship. In fact one kid behavior was so awful he wrote the college university and they had prior problems with the kid and he was removed from the team of well respected SE US school.

Maybe Amy Lee should use her noggin and break tee in half or carry different length tees.  What a moron. Many skilled players can hit a driver off the deck.  Amy Lee is an example of the dumbing down in America in general. Please tell this to Lee Trevino, he would prob throw up.  Your outlook is part of the problem in the US

Buck Wolter

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 04:27:05 PM »
You win, Amy Lee and I are too dumb to argue with that

Buck Wolter

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »

Spartan invitation ain't the NCAA. Maybe you fescue elitist who think u are so smart should rethink your outlook. 

Like those 30 other courses would want to host 2 weeks of golf and give up their course.  Petition UM, it isn't long enough to host NCAA for men.  Replace tees with matts, that is about the dumbest comeback.

Inverness already hosted the NCAA, my father voluntered, he didn't sit on the sidelines and bitch. Many of my friends growing up played D1 golf and toledo went to NCAA.  These college kids are pampered beyond child worship. In fact one kid behavior was so awful he wrote the college university and they had prior problems with the kid and he was removed from the team of well respected SE US school.

Maybe Amy Lee should use her noggin and break tee in half or carry different length tees.  What a moron. Many skilled players can hit a driver off the deck.  Amy Lee is an example of the dumbing down in America in general. Please tell this to Lee Trevino, he would prob throw up.  Your outlook is part of the problem in the US

Thanks for the new Moniker --I like Fescue Elitist better than Moron

BCowan

Re: Artificial Tee @ NCAA Women's Championship New
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
Ur welcome. It's funny u don't see the irony in your bitching. U begrudge artificial tee, yet ur club can't handle hosting duties due to grass selection.

I once played a US AM qualifier and one green was poa on left half and pure bent on the right half.  The Bent half was much firmer. Everyone had to play it.  In the end we were fortunate to have a course to host us for the day.  First world problems.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:24:28 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back