News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Can you name this clubhouse?
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
i only ask because it amuses me that Jason Day's allergy to coming to Australia extends even to shooting promo videos for Golf Australia.

Looks kinda like Riviera and Sawgrass but I'm confident it's not either.

Can anyone help?

David Davis

Re: Can you name this clubhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
First thought indeed Sawgrass, second thought if you are sure that's not it is PGA National. My guess it's in Florida with palm trees and the set up and roof. Can't think of anything in Cali where he might hang out for a tournament.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
I think it probably is Sawgrass. Here is an article with him there, wearing that same shirt and hat: http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-players-championship/news/2017/03/07/jason-day-media-day.html

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
I'll go with "Fred". :)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
It's that ostentatious beast, faux-Spanish Colonial monstrosity that they built a half-decade back for the golfing conquistadores of Ponte Vedra Beach.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Sawgrass
Mr Hurricane

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
Off topic but does anyone else feel that Day is following a similar track as Tiger with his various ailments and swing as hard as possible approach? At 29 the guy has had a lot of injuries and can see him breaking down by mid-30s.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
Definitely the TPC Sawgrass

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
Definitely Sawgrass.  I was an associate "member" there 30 years ago and played there often, and the food was good and the clubhouse minimal (for Florida).  When I was last there 3-4 years ago with the family it was a Vegas wanna be sprawl.  I think they have achieved their ambitions.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
I had a conversation with a chap the other day about clubs and clubhouses. I asked what he would like to see happen to make the club better. His response..."As long as no one was hurt, I'd like to see the clubhouse burn down and be replaced by a wooden pavilion with a small bar, limited catering and most definitely not enough space to hold functions, dances, agm's and the like". Interesting answer. I am quietly asking others their thoughts on his suggestion.
Atb

MClutterbuck

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
I had a conversation with a chap the other day about clubs and clubhouses. I asked what he would like to see happen to make the club better. His response..."As long as no one was hurt, I'd like to see the clubhouse burn down and be replaced by a wooden pavilion with a small bar, limited catering and most definitely not enough space to hold functions, dances, agm's and the like". Interesting answer. I am quietly asking others their thoughts on his suggestion.
Atb

The course across the street from ours built a very large club house (considering its location) in 2007 following the advice of its US course architect and copying what was being mostly done in the US at that time. It was always more than half empty, and never cozy and welcoming.  Entire rooms were never used. It burnt down a few years back and it was rebuilty quite a bit smaller. It is still too big.

We are looking at building our permanent club house. My goal is to stay below 3,000 sq. feet. Every member I have talked to is in agreement.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »

Most golf architects I know fight budget increases for golf all the time, and then sit back and watch clubhouse budgets spiral out of control.  We argue that its golf that brings them in, often to no avail.

Most clubs would need no more than 10-12K SF, and could probably get by with a little less.  Public courses can get by with 6K SF or a little less.  Have seen them built at 4500 SF, but never have enough office or storage.  And, ADA laws mean you can't legally use attic for storage, as it might affect the civil rights of a person confined to a wheel chair, who couldn't perform a job there that involved going upstairs, at least without building a $50K elevator......

How many 25-40K SF monstrosities do we see sit empty most of the year?  A lot, but its always a different entity making the same mistake.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

MClutterbuck

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 04:28:11 PM »

BTW, what are the best examples of putting greens right on the Club House? We have a windy site, would love to have our putting green right next to or even partially surrounded by the Club House, protecting it from prevailing winds.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »
I reckon in three words MC has very nicely described how a clubhouse ought to be......cosy and welcoming. :)
Atb

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »

BTW, what are the best examples of putting greens right on the Club House? We have a windy site, would love to have our putting green right next to or even partially surrounded by the Club House, protecting it from prevailing winds.

I really like the one at Crooked Stick

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
M Clutterbuck

Royal Adelaide - large practice green in front of the verandah, prevailing wind is blocked by the clubhouse to two-thirds of the putting green, putting green gets full morning sun for good growth.  Clubhouse is single story.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
Thanks all. I'd thought the spires looked different to those at Sawgrass but the volume of agreement is solid.

James Bennett -- "Royal Adelaide" is an appropriate answer to most questions involving things that golf clubs get right.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:27:01 PM »
Thanks all. I'd thought the spires looked different to those at Sawgrass but the volume of agreement is solid.

James Bennett -- "Royal Adelaide" is an appropriate answer to most questions involving things that golf clubs get right.
And most other of the top Aussie clubs demonstrate how not to do it.  I was astonished how many world class clubs with world class courses had clubhouses which looked like large chain hotels and the ambiance of an airport lounge!

Personal opinion only but the best clubhouse I saw in Aus was Port Fairy, though RA was easily the best of the "big" clubs.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »
Troon: walk thru the clubhouse to the putting green, watch the group in front of you tee off while you take a few putts...then take a few practice swings and off you go. Simple, easy, golf.

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »
Scott

I hadn't realised how well located the putting green was until M Clutterbuck's question.
It takes a lot of thought to think through what is good and less good about many clubs/clubhouses.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back