News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Fake News in Golf
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
As always the Pellucid report tells it like it is and attached is a great piece on the BS being flung by the Associations and especially the Mona World Golf Association ...(have zero clue what it does other than make the director one of the top 40 most influential in golf)

One of the few pieces to address the issue of all of the restorations and how they have strangled the majority of the developers and owners who undertook the large overblown deals when not needed.   1000 courses did 3 billion in renovations in a 10 year period...

read it..really good piece...  http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pellucid/perspective_201704/?utm_source=newsletter_53&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17-04-18-tpp#/2
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

Re: Fake News in Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:05:01 PM »
Mike:

Sorry buddy but you are overstating this one.  The Pellucid article gave anecdotal evidence of some clubs that have overextended themselves to pursue renovations.  You somehow turned those anecdotes into "the majority" without presenting any further evidence, statistical or otherwise.  Congrats for joining the fake news bandwagon yourself.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »
Mike:

Sorry buddy but you are overstating this one.  The Pellucid article gave anecdotal evidence of some clubs that have overextended themselves to pursue renovations.  You somehow turned those anecdotes into "the majority" without presenting any further evidence, statistical or otherwise.  Congrats for joining the fake news bandwagon yourself.

Wait a minute TD....I'm quoting the Pellucid article. " the majority of that "positive" investment has financially crippled the individual operator and municipalities, oops"

And I think you know as well as I do that so much of what was done was more than was needed in many cases.  Give me your opinion of just how much of the 3 billion would occurred if new construction was still going strong?   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »
Ok, then the Pellucid Report needs to provide some better facts, or less hyperbole.  There is a huge difference between unnecessary surgery (ethically dubious) and "financially crippling."  My only knowledge of clubs that have crippled themselves had to do with clubhouse renovations, not bunker work.  How many times have you personally seen the latter?

All restoration and renovation work is elective surgery.  What % wouldn't have been done if the new course business was booming?  You might as well just ask what % of golf industry professionals are morally compromised?  I'd put the number at 25 to 50 percent, just like any other industry - but of course I'm an optimist!

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
Yep...I didn't think about the clubhouse aspect which Pellucid would have been including.  Clubhouses take the cake over bunkers.

I don't know if moral is the right word when describing the problem with industry professionals.  It's more of an image thing.  The major manufacturers of irrigation, turf equipment etc spend so much catering to supts that it's difficult for them to go their own way.  Just last week I listened while it was described to me how an owner really needed to use a specific grass person because he was a big supporter of the association to which the owner's employee belonged.  Why doesn't a supt assoc go after a chemical company or govt agency that requires a chemical to cost a golf course 8 times what it cost for the same chemical to a farmer?  The local employee doesn't even see it.    And the best is the PGA retirement plan where the vendors contribute based on what you purchase for resale.  Just buy $100 grand of Titleist for your shop and sell it for $105 thousand and you will still get a significant retirement account bump...it is a totally subsidized industry....

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »
Tom, keep in mind you are chatting with a guy who has a photo of a turtle crossing a sward of turf on his GCA profile :)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
Ah,ah, Forrest,

Zeno's paradox!!!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
 8)  I hear Korea is getting a new course, one which may make a big impact on things over there..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
Tom, keep in mind you are chatting with a guy who has a photo of a turtle crossing a sward of turf on his GCA profile :)

That turtle just keeps moving.... :)

Pat Burke

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
8)  I hear Korea is getting a new course, one which may make a big impact on things over there..

And yet again, some idiot puts the clubhouse in the wrong spot!!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »

And yet again, some idiot puts the clubhouse in the wrong spot!!

I'm told that this photo was of the new, top secret, "Trump Pacific National GC."  :D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back