News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Somewhat hypothetical, but one can always dream.

If I were following the full Lions tour of NZ and taking my clubs along with me where should I try to play?

Titirangi and Paraparaumu obviously come to mind as do a couple of more recent North Island east coast newbies but what about other less obvious, more under-the-radar choices, not just the very appealing oft-mentioned  Arrowtown, but others of a similar ilk?

Thoughts and comments.

Atb

MKrohn

Disclaimer: Not a Kiwi but have played a fair bit over there, being Australian I have also ceased watching rugby  :)

Looks like the Lions tour only hits the "major" cities in NZ and spends a lot of time in Auckland. It's a little like Sydney, in that you would expect more good courses. You have identified Titarangi which is the pick.

The first game is in Whangarei, north of Auckland. Avoid Gulf Harbour but the new/redone course Wainui looks interesting. If you wanted to venture up further north you obviously have Kauri Cliffs and Tara Iti assuming you can wrangle something. Heading north might also be your best chance for decent weather.

I did up trip up to Northland (info is 10 years old) and it was so windy we couldn't justify the fee at Kauri, but had a fun day at Waitangi GC and also enjoyed KeriKeri, albeit I wasn't overly GCA educated at the time. Paihia is a nice base up north.

Planning a trip to Christchurch later this year so will be interested if someone finds a diamond in the rough down there.

Mark Chaplin

Taupo is worth a visit Wairakei is an interesting course and Kinloch a Nicklaus on acid. I've not played Royal Wellington post refurb but it's meant to be pretty good.
Cave Nil Vino

Rees Milikin

The one course that I wish I would have taken the time to see is Waverley Golf Club, which is about 2.5 hours north of Paraparaumu Beach.  If the man, the myth, the legend...Leo Barber reads this, I hope he chimes in with his endorsement.

If you make it there, please take plenty of photos b/c the limited few I have seen are spectacular.  There is a google street view of the course that gives you an idea of what you can expect.

jeffwarne

I've only scratched the surface, and still need to go back...
but

Waitangi, Waipu, Oreti Sands,Mangawhei

and despite the fact it's "oft mentioned"
Arrowtown
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:23:16 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Grant Saunders

Planning a trip to Christchurch later this year so will be interested if someone finds a diamond in the rough down there.

In Christchurch play Harewood. It is only 5 minutes from the airport

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53727.0.html

Joe Perches

despite the fact it's overstated Arrowtown

Perhaps the only place Arrowtown is overstated is here.

Ash Towe

Auckland-Titirangi and Muriwai

Heading North-Waipu

Hastings/Napier-Bridge Pa

Rotorua-Rotorua GC-Springfield

Wellington-Royal Wellington/Miramer-next to the airport

Dunedin-Chisholm Park-Balmacewen

Alan Ritchie

I'm heading over to Nz in may so enquired as to the possibility of Tara Iti. They would have allowed me on but Eye watering prices to say the least, made it not possible.

A shame you must stay at the course to play it. At least kauri cliffs and cape kidnappers don't have that requirement.

Rees Milikin

I'm heading over to Nz in may so enquired as to the possibility of Tara Iti. They would have allowed me on but Eye watering prices to say the least, made it not possible.

A shame you must stay at the course to play it. At least kauri cliffs and cape kidnappers don't have that requirement.

That is b/c Tara Iti is a private club and the others are resorts. 

Thomas Dai

Thanks all for the various suggestions.
A few names I've not come across before......which was in many ways the object of the thread......off now to look at the websites of the various course mentioned so far.
Squad announcement made today.
Can't wait for Sat 3rd June to watch the first match from Whangarei.
Atb
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:56:01 AM by Thomas Dai »

Niall C

yes and I note that the Vinapula family have managed to get as many representatives in the squad as the whole of Scotland. Congratulations to them but somehow I don't think I'll be watching.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back