News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Pay to Play
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »
The thread about Kapalua Plantation got me to thinking about for which pricey vacation courses I would gladly pay to play frequently.

Already play as regularly as possible so yes:  Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Primland

Yes: Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, The Island Club, River Course at Kohler, Old White, Broadmoor East, Red Sky (Norman), Cascades, Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe, and Bedford Springs (although played it many years ago before the restoration).

No (even though many are quite good): Kapalua Plantation, Wailea Gold, River Course at Kingsmill, Rancho Bernardo, Greenbrier, Broadmoor West and Mountain, Beaver Creek, Pinehurst #6, the Meadows Course at Kohler, Wild Dunes Links and Harbor, Green Course at Golden Horseshoe, and all three courses at Palmetto Dunes.

Cannot decide, but given have not done so even though we are often close by, probably no: PH#2

Yes, I know that I have not made it to many that certainly/probably are on the Yes list.  Working on remedying that problem, especially trying to figure out when to get to England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

Ted Sirbaugh

Re: Pay to Play
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
I would say yes to any of the Bandon courses. I would not at Streamsong (though that could be because the last time I played was in the summer when it was unbearably hot!)

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
Yes, without hesitation, to Bandon.  Just an extraordinary place.  I am hoping that the courses at Sand Valley turn into a yes, especially since they'll be just a 3 hour drive from my house.  I'll see Sand Valley this July for the first time.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
I spose it depends on what one thinks of as holiday courses! 

Absolutely no at full whack

Kiawah
Pinehurst 2
Duke
Kingsbarns
Royal Aberdeen
Renaissance
Trump Aberdeen
Co Down
Muirfield
Carnoustie
Turnberry
Castle Course
Troon
Western Gailes
Nairn

Absolutely yes at full whack

Tobacco Road
Lakewood Shores Gailes
LuLu
Sandwich
Lahinch
TOC
Prestwick
St Enodoc
Elie
Cruden Bay
Pennard
Perranporth
Brora
Silloth
Castletown

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »
I have twice booked a package at Pinehurst and paid the up charge to play #2. I'd do it again.

I swore off paying for Pebble after finding out Huck was getting raters on for free. Basically same reason I won't pay for Shadow Creek. Doubt I will ever pay to play Harbor Town again either.

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
After playing Belvedere last summer, I've found the one. 

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
Black Mesa was one. Bethpage Black is another, and I've never played Red.

Ted Sirbaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
Both courses at Barnbougle would also be a definite yes once you get there... $140 for all day play in the peak season is hard to beat

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
Yes to Pebble, Spyglass, Pasatiempo, Torrey Pines South and Stadium Course at PGA West.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
Shouldn't the time and cost of travelling and staying somewhere be part of the consideration here?
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »
Shouldn't the time and cost of travelling and staying somewhere be part of the consideration here?
Atb

Yes, which is exactly why I won't take my clubs to Hawaii or Italy.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »
Atb

I never specifically consider time and cost of travel.  Sometimes courses are nearby and sometimes not.  If the course is that good and fun one will make the effort and pay. The real trick is deciding if a course is worth a return trip. Thats when wallet busters like Pinehurst & Kiawah etc will always struggle to keep my attention....especially resort courses and the trappings associated with resort courses. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
As practical matter, other costs of course a consideration. But my OP intended to isolate people's views of the value of paying to play a course.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
I would never go to Hawaii to play golf --but when I have gone I have always played including twice at Kapalua. Vacation money only counts 50%.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
 8) Ira,

In line with Buck's vacation money comment, we found it best not to think about the pound to dollar exchange rate in the UK...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
I would never go to Hawaii to play golf --but when I have gone I have always played including twice at Kapalua. Vacation money only counts 50%.

I think that's right. There are trips I would make to play golf ... Bandon, Scotland, Pjnehurst, on and on. Hawaii isn't on that list. But if I'm going to Hawaii, I'll probably take my clubs and play at least once while there.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »
Buck and Steve, LOL, but the discounting factor does not work for me because my wife plays so I am at two greens fees from the get go.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:24:19 PM by Ira Fishman »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »
There isn't a single course I would pay over $200 to play regularly.

Pinehurst is being cited as a course people won't go back to because of cost.  Oddly, it is the high end public course I plan to play over and over again.  We bought a house there, joined as local members (social as we haven't been there in a couple years) and assuming the fee structure doesn't change too much I plan to die a member there.

I've got a pretty good list of international memberships and hope to act on one at some point.  Right now still working on seeing different courses.

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
Buck and Steve, LOL, but the discounting factor does not work for me because my wife plays so I am at two greens fees from the get go.

Ira,

The "we" i referred to was Ms Sheila & I... two greens fees, still doesn't matter... perpetual match play and investment:  TOC, NM Land of Enchantment, Banff/Jasper/Edmonton, Barona, Bandon, Ballyneal, Biloxi, Dismal, Chambers Bay, Giant's Ridge, Greywalls, Kingsley, TX to Michigan many, Palm Springs, Paa ko, Pensacola, Rustic Canyon, Forest Dunes/The Loop, Wild Horse... ya ain't in it alone, but when you want to stretch and go, no problem. ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Zack Molnar

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »

Yes:
Pasatiempo
Midpines
Bethpage
Tobacco Road
Bandon

Sometimes:
Pebble
Forest Dunes
Streamsong

No:
Kiawah Ocean
Whistling Straits
Blackwolf Run

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »
For the most part, only one play is required, as traveling is so expensive now.

My repeat visits were to Pebble, Pine Valley, National, Ireland,
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Scott Weersing

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 08:53:05 AM »
What about those PGA Tour bucket list courses?

TPC Sawgrass
TPC Scottdale
Torrey Pines South
TPC San Antonio
Old White at Greenbriar

And then there are ones I would not play for free like:
TPC Four Seasons Las Colinas
Liberty National

(even the pros don't like these)

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
I play TPC Scottsdale once every few years, usually with people not from here who haven't played it before and more often than not in the hot season when it's cheap. Just not a course worth the $200-$300 fees they charge.

Torrey Pines is an interesting case. If you're a local and you can play for a pretty reasonable rate, I think so. It has it's flaws but compared to a lot of munis, it's got a lot going for it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back