News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Jeff,
We see it the same I think.  Would you agree that most balls in the fwy bunkers at ANGC are not the results of failing to carry as much as pushing or pulling the tee shot?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

Jeff,
We see it the same I think.  Would you agree that most balls in the fwy bunkers at ANGC are not the results of failing to carry as much as pushing or pulling the tee shot?

Yes-with noteable exceptions-Bubba and company
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt Kardash

Ran,

I don't know how you feel like the bunker on 8 isn't interesting. I mean, the closer you drive to it the better your angle to turn it into the green. Isn't that design 101?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ran Morrissett

Matt,

It is good and works with the angle of the green for those going for it in two but is it optimal? What if the bunker on 8 was more left and central, encased within the fairway? The right portion of the fairway was narrower than the left with one or two less rows of trees up both sides? For a course predicated on width and that borrowed much from The Old Course, not having a central bunker that creates alternate paths seems a pity.

As an aside, I think of the second shots on all 4 of the par 5s - not one has a fairway bunker. On the one hand, that is neat/distinctive in that I can't think of another world class course with 4 par 5s that can claim the same. On the other, for all those players in April and all those members through the winter months that aren't going for the greens in two, could more playing interest be afforded on the 2nd shots? I am biased though as all my favorite par 5s (3rd at Prestwick, 14 TOC, 18 at Yeamans, 16 at Pinehurst No. 2) have a bunker between a good tee ball and the green.

Mike Y,

Saw Peachtree for the first time with Noel Freeman last month - was blown away. A showcase for RTJ's talent at both routing and building greens.

Best,
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:35:21 AM by Ran Morrissett »

jeffwarne

Ran,
For the player not reaching the par 5's in Augusta

At #2, the fairway slope and the green design create the dilemna for the second shot-no bunker needed for average player
at # 8, the need to clear the hill to the plateau and get far enough right for an angle create the drama there
#13-terrain and angle-depending on pin
#15 terrain and angle to some degree

Bunkers in the second shot area would create a more obvious strategy and therefore deny the savvy experienced player his advantage.

Agreed that ANGC would be better without MANY of the trees and without the second cut.
#8 bunker could be a titch further left and with a couple trees out and no primary, it would be a better hole
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:46:00 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ed Brzezowski

Spent some time this weekend emailing back and forth with a noted architect. His point was that they are " the most uninspired bunkers in golf". 

Thoughts?

I thought you were discussing with two noted architects..but one was a major dork.... ;D ;D ;D

he has his moments of clarity.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Josh Tarble

Augusta is the most nit-picked course on earth.  It's only natural it is because we see it on TV for four days every year.  It is also easy to criticize because so few have actually played it.

Judging solely on how the pros play every hole I have a hard time saying Augusta is anything but perfect.  The current bunkering scheme seems to be perfect as everyone is right where you'd want to place a drive or second shot.  Sure you could probably say one or two should be a few yards left or a few yards forward, but to me the proof is in the pudding and Augusta continually delivers every April.

Carl Rogers

I thought that we were all to revel in the idea of short grass as hazard.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Morgan Clawson

This view from space certainly supports Ran's premise.  The fairway bunkering is very limited and the ones that are there are mundane in shape.  I love the shape of the Mackenzie bunker on 10 and wish that all the bunkers on the course had that character.  The fairway bunkers on 18 are effective for the pros as it forces them to club down from a driver and/or hit a fade.  Rose's fade in the playoff was too much and he landed in the pine straw.  Meanwhile, Garcia played the hole brilliantly and won the tournament.

Ronald Montesano

Questions:

How quickly would CBS' one-year deal for the Masters be given away to another entity, should any of its announcers deride anything about the club?

Is it the style of bunker that is of concern here? That they are not punitive in nature? That the pristine sand and shape/angle of lips allows recovery to be too easy?

Is it the placement of bunkers that is of concern here? That they are not situated in spaces where golfers might hit the ball? That they do not establish themselves as a principal feature of a golf course?

Must all features of a golf course (hazards, putting surfaces, routing, et al.) be balanced, in order for it to be considered great, or to pass Ran's muster, or both?

Is Augusta a tournament course, or is it a members' course? Those of us who watch a tournament six days of the year might opine in one direction, while the members and their guests might tack differently.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back