News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Grande

Re: New York City's Lost Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
A map would be great.  I grew up in Bayside.  Thinking of the course where Bayside Hills currently resides, it might have been close to Little Neck Bay?  I had heard that Robert Moses built the Cross Island Parkway right on the water as revenge against the city for some reason...

MCirba

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »
Does anyone have information on who originally designed the nine hole Ocean View GC (formerly Devonshire CC?) in Bermuda?

C&W has David Gordon in the 1950s, but it's pretty clear from Brad Tufts article a golf course existed well prior on the site.   Their current website mentions that the course history goes back to WWII but another source I found mentioned that it was built in 1929, which seems more likely.   

Thanks for any info.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
I've learned that today's Ocean View GC in Bermuda, formerly Devonshire CC (from the Kennedy Collection) was originally called Garrison GC dating back to 1890.   

I'm hoping that info leads to uncovering more about its origins and architectural pedigree.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
One of Wexler's books has maps of NLEs in major cities including NYC.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »
A bit more on today's Ocean View GC in Bermuda.

It was formerly known respectively, going backwards chronologically, as:

Devonshire CC
Garrison GC
Prospect Garrison GC
Prospect Camp GC

Also saw it referred to as Prospect Camp Sports Club.

One reference mentioned it was laid out by officers of the regiment stationed at Prospect Camp, roughly around 1890.

Chris Buie

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Chris:

That is an interesting article, more so for its blatant inaccuracies than anything else.

Starting with Harbour Hill, the golf course was built in 1895, not 1878.  If it had been built in 1878, it would be held up as the first course in the US in place of St. Andrews.

Golf started at Richmond County in 1894, not soon after 1888 as the article alludes to.

I'd like to see more information on Tysen Manor, as it doesn't appear in any early publications I've seen (there are reports of its existence in the 1920's, but not as early as 1900).  Mayflower/South Shore is given a date of formation of 1925 in some of the early guides.

There are reports of changes made to Fox Hills in the early 1920's, making it unlikely that the course closed in 1920.

La Tourette predates the 1934 opening date given in the article.

Silver Lake is described in the 1931 Annual Guide, thus also predating the opening date given here.

There is a ton of history wrapped up in the courses on Staten Island, it would be nice if it was presented accurately.

Sven
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:27:59 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Chris Buie

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
In matters of research I will happily defer to Sven. He's the best researcher I know and we are indebted to him.
I see the guy that wrote the article is the dispatcher for a pilots association. That's a bit worrisome given Sven's assessment of his article.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »
For anyone interested in MacKenzie's Bayside:

"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back