News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Re: The Seve movie
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
Jeff
My recollection was that Seve had lost much of his ability as a shotmaker prior to his illness.

My assumption is that his swing was largely manufactured and relied heavily on either excellent athletic ability or muscle memory drilled into his youth either of which have trouble persisting as one ages. I bring this up not so much to deflate your enthusiasm but as part of my ongoing and frustrating attempt to explore hoe to manage my game as I start hitting those same barriers but I doubt Seve's game would hold up even closely to Langher's results from a very disciplined and methodical regimen.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Lou_Duran

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
Missed the part in the movie where he rattled the change in his pockets or coughed at the most inopportune times during his opponents' swings.  He was an artist who rose from relatively meager means, but as his once father-in-law supposedly said, "you can take the boy out of the caddie shack, but you can't take the caddie shack out of the boy".

I was fortunate to watch him play a round at Colonial, a course that did not suit him, but provided many opportunities to display his shotmaking.  The man exuded charisma.  He had Hollywood-good looks, a million dollar smile and an attacking type of game that was exciting.  I didn't appreciate his gamesmanship, but it is hard to overcome one's culture.   Seve was a hero; I liked the movie a lot.

Ward- you are 100% right vis-a-vis Seve and Langer.  Not that Seve and I have much in common other than our northern Spain heritage, but I'd give a lot to have just a bit of the Germanic discipline.  Seve had lost his swing long before the tumor was discovered.  I just don't think that he had the wherewithal mentally to change his approach the way Langer has over many years.  I hate to say this, but there is a reason why the Germans and the Brits hold the EC together as the PIGS (and I use this term without trying to be offensive) do their best to undo it.  Very different temperaments and approach to things, Langer and Ballesteros.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 05:44:24 PM »
I wouldn’t pay a penny to watch a Lanchor snoozefest, but for Seve I’d give almost any of my appendages.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
Ward,

The last thing any of his contemporaries would say was his swing was largely manufactured.
He looked like he was born with the club in his hands. Genius.
Nor would I say 'muscle memory'.
He had so many different swings and shots - way more than anyone else playing in his time - and there was no way to memorise them all!

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »
Jeff
My recollection was that Seve had lost much of his ability as a shotmaker prior to his illness.

My assumption is that his swing was largely manufactured and relied heavily on either excellent athletic ability or muscle memory drilled into his youth either of which have trouble persisting as one ages. I bring this up not so much to deflate your enthusiasm but as part of my ongoing and frustrating attempt to explore hoe to manage my game as I start hitting those same barriers but I doubt Seve's game would hold up even closely to Langher's results from a very disciplined and methodical regimen.

Ward,

Sadly Seve had lost his driving ability by early to mid 90's but he certainly had not lost his shotmaking ability-in fact it was called upon more than ever as he continued to try to play-and was evident in many of his later Ryder Cup battles.
Seve had a very imaginative athletic, graceful swing and was heavily dependant upon timing, tempo and confidence-but make no mistake-he was a majestic ballstriker.
In his prime he was an excellent driver-long, creative aggressive and straight enough-especially when playing well.

Sadly his later years" ballstriking, and ability to recover when wayward in his prime (i.e. like Tiger he could compete even when playing poorly)tarnished his reputation.

In the latter part of playing career he enlisted an unlikely partner/swing guru in Mac O'Grady, which surely did not do him any favors.
IMHO he was affected by what eventually manifest itself as a brain tumor, and it struck his nervous system and hands and that adversely affected his timing and ultimately confidence.

The point I was trying to make is Seve seemed old  30 years ago-certainly 25 years ago, and Bernhard looks and plays better than ever.
Suggesting Seve would still be competing was just a whimsical wish by me, but what an amazing possibility/treat that would have been.
Yes I would rather watch Seve than anyone(including Bernhard), but Bernhard is an absolute wonder and a class act-and I absolutely enjoy watching him continue to improve at age 61
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2018, 01:45:27 AM »
I watched Bernhardt on the driving range at the SD Tournament quite a few years ago and was amazed that he plays with an extremely shut face at the top; that doesn’t quite come across on tv. Never had the chance to see Steve, but the lesson is certainly give your child a 3 iron and have them play all their short shots with it! Quite a unique but effective way to learn the short game.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Langer is clearly the most underrated player of his generation where as Seve was without doubt the greatest golfing phenomenon of his. But, even in his pomp he was very hit and miss. This is what made him exciting to watch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back