News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Masters TV coverage
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
A more interesting story would have been if she was denied entry into the clubhouse because she violated the dress code. Which she would have at almost every club in America.

John Connolly

« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
But it was the shortest skirt on campus. When being accurate equates to being sexist, you can bring me the check because it's time to go.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:49:02 PM by John Connolly »
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »

From 2.5 million viewers 1 complained. Some people just want to be offended whether they are or not.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
But it was the shortest skirt on campus. When being accurate equates to being sexist, you can bring me the check because it's time to go.

Being accurate don't cut it in the world of ism's.

jeffwarne

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
A more interesting story would have been if she was denied entry into the clubhouse because she violated the dress code. Which she would have at almost every club in America.

She'd be more than welcome at The Bridge....
or anywhere else I play

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Connolly

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »

Being accurate don't cut it in the world of ism's.

Almost nothing does.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
At least we can still see a Spaniard in public and make bull fighting references. Can't wait to try that out next time I'm in a bar. Toro, toro...where's your cape. Toro, toro.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
My post above is in reference to Sergio being called a matador during the last day coverage. He looks like an animal lover to me. I can't think of a more offensive actual sporting reference.

John Connolly

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
My post above is in reference to Sergio being called a matador during the last day coverage. He looks like an animal lover to me. I can't think of a more offensive actual sporting reference.

Surely some romance in our language can remain unmolested.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

MClutterbuck

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »

Call it what you want, his read on a short putt to win a major had it breaking the wrong way.

As I wrote on another thread, a friend played Monday. He broke 80 from Masters tees and has won several national and international events. He tried the Sergio put on 18 5 times and could not make it. He said it was a very tricky putt on a ridge.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2017, 03:01:30 PM »
Hello;

A parting word on Garcia's win, posted here rather than a new OT thread...

I have disliked Sergio's style, his quips, his pronouncements, his fatigue at his shortcomings broadcast in the spotlight. He seemed like a guy who felt he deserved, was entitled to the glory and the millions won, but resented that spotlight, when it wasn't feting him.

But in the canon of competitive golf, this was St. George slaying a handful of specific, fire-breathing dragons...his incredible iron-play sought to fail him (#10)? he kept on... his incredible driving failed him (#11)?...he kept on... his most incendiary dragon--putting--singed him (#16, #18 reg.)...he kept on...

And that greatest of internal demons --the self -- he finally conquered, for truly, right in the middle of the most stressful middle of the round, he embraced humility and bad fortune with a game-seasoned, responsible character he rarely had shown in two decades...he displayed his true worthiness NOT when he made birdies on 14 and eagle on 15...but when he made three "5s" out of trouble... on # 10, #11 and #13; in the middle of it, playing #12 as Nicklaus Hogan and every sage of the game has directed.

By taking medicine and being patient, he kept faith with his enormous talent, embraced and understood the game is not one of great shots, but handling those poor results which everyone receives--not as some defeating "fate," but the challenge THAT day.

The Sergio I used to know, would not have gone 5-5-3-5 = 18 on those first four back nine holes, with those shot results ...More like 6-6-4-4 = 20, and even the top results on 14 and 15 would have been a desperate footnote to what might have been remembered as Rose's easy win.

So many times in his career, he came up to errant shots like on those three holes (10, 11, and 13) and cursed the world, the fans, the gods, and anyone else. Sunday, he held his mind to the task at hand...the best possible recovery and the safest, number he could cap at...5. He was tested again, when he missed a short putt in regulation to win it...did you notice the moment of churlish anger...but the quick recovery to an even posture.

When a guy with HIS history comes up to those shots at 10, 11 and 13, while Rose is nearly "steady as she goes"...my god the mind can spin that the Fates have damned one for a flaw in his character, and are seeking humiliation once again...but he kept his cool, kept it to 5 on 10; that was the hardest one, given the conditions... then kept his cool on 11 in the left bramble, was deliberate and serious about that recovery, and hit a beautiful, running shot that maximized safety and the best possible chance to make 4, while keeping an easy 5...

...Then 13, which was the 5 that broke him through, where the worm turned (Rose 3-putting)and permitted the later good fortune to mean something...Can you imagine what he thought on that drive on 13...he's fought his balls off, kept faith, didn't blow up and this is his reward? He had to think that with Rose likely on in 2, and him staring a 6 in the face... once again, he does not have what it takes...

As a lover of golf on the ground and on air, this performance was a great entertainment, and the fine culmination of an entertaining tournament week.  This all is why I watch.

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

BCowan

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »

She'd be more than welcome at The Bridge....
or anywhere else I play

Rumor has it that she has been invited to thee Goat Invitational along with Sergio this Fall.  Will have to make an effort to make it out for this years Invitational.  She water ski's over she gets mulligans, right Commish?   

John Connolly

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
Hello;

A parting word on Garcia's win, posted here rather than a new OT thread...

I have disliked Sergio's style, his quips, his pronouncements, his fatigue at his shortcomings broadcast in the spotlight. He seemed like a guy who felt he deserved, was entitled to the glory and the millions won, but resented that spotlight, when it wasn't feting him.

But in the canon of competitive golf, this was St. George slaying a handful of specific, fire-breathing dragons...his incredible iron-play sought to fail him (#10)? he kept on... his incredible driving failed him (#11)?...he kept on... his most incendiary dragon--putting--singed him (#16, #18 reg.)...he kept on...

And that greatest of internal demons --the self -- he finally conquered, for truly, right in the middle of the most stressful middle of the round, he embraced humility and bad fortune with a game-seasoned, responsible character he rarely had shown in two decades...he displayed his true worthiness NOT when he made birdies on 14 and eagle on 15...but when he made three "5s" out of trouble... on # 10, #11 and #13; in the middle of it, playing #12 as Nicklaus Hogan and every sage of the game has directed.

By taking medicine and being patient, he kept faith with his enormous talent, embraced and understood the game is not one of great shots, but handling those poor results which everyone receives--not as some defeating "fate," but the challenge THAT day.

The Sergio I used to know, would not have gone 5-5-3-5 = 18 on those first four back nine holes, with those shot results ...More like 6-6-4-4 = 20, and even the top results on 14 and 15 would have been a desperate footnote to what might have been remembered as Rose's easy win.

So many times in his career, he came up to errant shots like on those three holes (10, 11, and 13) and cursed the world, the fans, the gods, and anyone else. Sunday, he held his mind to the task at hand...the best possible recovery and the safest, number he could cap at...5. He was tested again, when he missed a short putt in regulation to win it...did you notice the moment of churlish anger...but the quick recovery to an even posture.

When a guy with HIS history comes up to those shots at 10, 11 and 13, while Rose is nearly "steady as she goes"...my god the mind can spin that the Fates have damned one for a flaw in his character, and are seeking humiliation once again...but he kept his cool, kept it to 5 on 10; that was the hardest one, given the conditions... then kept his cool on 11 in the left bramble, was deliberate and serious about that recovery, and hit a beautiful, running shot that maximized safety and the best possible chance to make 4, while keeping an easy 5...

...Then 13, which was the 5 that broke him through, where the worm turned (Rose 3-putting)and permitted the later good fortune to mean something...Can you imagine what he thought on that drive on 13...he's fought his balls off, kept faith, didn't blow up and this is his reward? He had to think that with Rose likely on in 2, and him staring a 6 in the face... once again, he does not have what it takes...

As a lover of golf on the ground and on air, this performance was a great entertainment, and the fine culmination of an entertaining tournament week.  This all is why I watch.

cheers
vk

Bravo. Well said.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back