News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Masters TV coverage
« on: April 08, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
I have not seen any close up coverage of people marking balls. 

Not much close up coverage of putts either.

Maybe they have been given orders to stop call in penalties.

Bill Gayne

Re: Masters TV coverage
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »
Their microphones have somehow found huge numbers of Bob White Quail. Who would have ever thought that they have gone to live among the patrons at the Masters?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
The coverage is cloying, deferential and reverential to an amazingly offensive level. I am so sick of the ass kissing tone everybody has adopted, even on satellite radio. If I hear the word "patron" on the post golf coverage tonight, I'm going straight to the Patron.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JESII

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »
The App with 3 devices is killer

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »
I miss the pro-tracer coverage they were using on the "Amen Corner" coverage for holes 11 & 13 that was online Thursday & Friday.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
The coverage is cloying, deferential and reverential to an amazingly offensive level. I am so sick of the ass kissing tone everybody has adopted, even on satellite radio. If I hear the word "patron" on the post golf coverage tonight, I'm going straight to the Patron.
Me too.
Jim Nantz, on a Sunday, with a Nicklaus or Tiger win is one thing. But Jimmy Roberts' ponderous voice-over pronouncements about *everything* are just way too much.

There are champions -- and then there are *Masters* champions.
Their names ring-out like wind-chimes across this grand cathedral of golf -- Sarazen, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Woods.
But as great as these names are, they're *more* than just names -- they are, to put it briefly, our *memories*:
Memories of spring-times long ago, and of our youths, and of roars echoing through the Georgia Pines.
And like the azaleas that bloom here, these Masters champions *return* to Augusta, every spring -- to honour, and to celebrate, and to remember.
Here, the *Masters* champions gather in a tradition like no other -- for a dinner, with the only other men in the world who can truly *understand*.
And what they understand is this: that *their* accomplishments on this most sacred ground also serve as *our* most hallowed memories. 
As so, as they come in pilgrimage for the annual Champions Dinner, I would like to say this, to each one: to Nicklaus and Woods and, yes, to Arnold Palmer  -- "Thanks...ever so much...for the memories".
Yes...There are champions -- and then...there are *Masters* champions.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:41:37 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:38:13 PM »

The Masters-only vocabulary reminds me of when Hussein was in power in Iraq. TV reporters had to refer to him as "his excellency Saddam Hussein" or some similarly inane confection on first reference in reports, or the satellite plug would be pulled.

At Augusta, you don't have a front nine or back nine, because someone thought "back side" would be used. So, first nine and second nine.

The list has grown over the years. The gallery had fans and spectators in it on CBS' 1986 coverage.

Even writers there are using patrons more and more. If you donate to an art museum or the symphony, you're a patron. If you go to a golf tournament, you're a fan.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mike Schott

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
You have to let this stuff go when watching The Masters (even the cloying capital T). It's emblematic of the stuffiness of ANGC and their obsessive level of control. CBS has no choice but to go along with the charade, I'm guessing so much so that Nance and the rest have bought into it a long time ago. I love the tradition and tournament so I ignore the pompous bullshit.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:14:04 PM by Mike Schott »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »
Yes, I seem to recall they were much looser with the words "allowed" in past years. I guess it's McCord's fault.

On the other hand, I do enjoy a lot more actual live golf being shown than usual. Your typical CBS broadcast these days might go 20 minutes without showing a live golf shot.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:55:56 PM »
Why do so many on this site continue to use the acronym of AGNC when it's always and unequivocally been ANGC?!?  FFS
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Mike Schott

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
Why do so many on this site continue to use the acronym of AGNC when it's always and unequivocally been ANGC?!?  FFS

My apologies, it should have been ANGC. I will edit my post. But geez, have a scotch and mellow out.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:15:19 PM by Mike Schott »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
Because of the limited commercials, I think it is the only televised golf one can watch live.  I still watch on tape delay so I can skip the stuff I don't want to watch, but I have watched it live a few times and it wasn't that bad.  It was said a couple of times during Golf Channel's "Live from the Masters" shows "if you are a golf fan, but of course you are if you are watching this..."  In other words, mindless gabbing for hours about nothing.  To some extent the same can be said about CBS's coverage.  They may be boring and following the controlling rules, but most golf fans don't care that much.         

It's quite true the coverage is controlled, formalized, and if you believe what has been published, very heavily influenced by ANGC.

BHoover

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »
I noticed lots of drone coverage from ANGC. Perhaps we might see a Konica Minolta Bizhub drone in the near future?

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
Me too.
Jim Nantz, on a Sunday, with a Nicklaus or Tiger win is one thing. But Jimmy Roberts' ponderous voice-over pronouncements about *everything* are just way too much.

There are champions -- and then there are *Masters* champions.
Their names ring-out like wind-chimes across this grand cathedral of golf -- Sarazen, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Woods.
But as great as these names are, they're *more* than just names -- they are, to put it briefly, our *memories*:
Memories of spring-times long ago, and of our youths, and of roars echoing through the Georgia Pines.
And like the azaleas that bloom here, these Masters champions *return* to Augusta, every spring -- to honour, and to celebrate, and to remember.
Here, the *Masters* champions gather in a tradition like no other -- for a dinner, with the only other men in the world who can truly *understand*.
And what they understand is this: that *their* accomplishments on this most sacred ground also serve as *our* most hallowed memories. 
As so, as they come in pilgrimage for the annual Champions Dinner, I would like to say this, to each one: to Nicklaus and Woods and, yes, to Arnold Palmer  -- "Thanks...ever so much...for the memories".
Yes...There are champions -- and then...there are *Masters* champions.

It seems the entire media industry is geared to appeal on an emotional level.  Everything is presented as a highly emotional matter, leading to the loss of objectivity.  A stunning loss of objectivity, that is, rendering the highly sensitized viewers powerless against the shocking, suggestive nature of the Almighty broadcast.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »
Ain't  it great.

Greatest day in sports.

Period.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
Ain't  it great.

Greatest day in sports.

Period.

Agreed -- easily the best golf broadcast, and one of the best days in sports.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »

My apologies, it should have been ANGC. I will edit my post. But geez, have a scotch and mellow out.

In the spirit of the thread, I suggest a shot of Patron.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ben Sims

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
Ain't  it great.

Greatest day in sports.

Period.

This is Holy Week. Final Four, an incredible solo effort at Ronde van Vlaanderen last week, a windy and brutal first couple days at Augusta, a real hardman winning Paris-Roubaix this morning, followed by what looks to be a great final round this afternoon. It is by my account, the greatest sports week of the year. This from a rabid Georgia Bulldog fan too!

I do so love the Masters haters coming out online every year around the same time. Nobody, NOBODY, does it like ANGC. They've gotten monster corporate sponsors to minimize commercial breaks. They've got easily the best team in golf coverage in a comfortable environment that they know well. They have a green's staff that somehow kept the golf course perfectly on edge and playable over the course of a very challenging week that ran the gamut from warm, wet, cool, windy, and now very dry (relative humidity low enough for fire warning in much of north Georgia).

I do get annoyed by some of the dripping sweetness that flows through the coverage. But that's what this is. This is adult spring break. This is golf Disney World. Don't go to the Magic Kingdom and complain that it doesn't feel like the backcountry at Yosemite. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »
The Masters is a wonderful tournament. What disturbs me is the lack of professional demarcation, i.e. journalists serving as marketers, critics who might as well be PR people. The Jimmy Roberts material I parodied above is found on "Masters.com" -- our golf broadcaster doubling, apparently, as a paid spokesman. And no one seems to blink an eye anymore. We all seem to accept that it's simply the way of the world. Doesn't anyone want to be an outsider anymore? It used to be an honourable place in the scheme of things. Nowadays we're all lining up - fighting for just the chance -- to sell ourselves out and pay reverent homage to the 'man', to the 'corporation'. 

Peter
PS - And Bn, one of the subtlest manifestations, it seems to me, of this overwhelming desire to be an insider is the use of the term 'haters'.  As I'm sure you know, there are in fact, and all around the world, many devastating and horrific forms of hatred -- hatred that kills and maims and diminishes the human spirit and denies human freedom and the inherent worth of every individual.  Coming on here to poke a little fun at the overwrought PR nonsense meant to bolster an already hugely successful golf tournament is not 'hatred' in any meaningful sense of the word     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:04:17 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
Peter,

I'll take your use of the word "sublest" to mean "least effectual." I'm as sanguine about the evolution of the English language as the next guy. But frankly, preaching literate on the use of the word "hater" seems to rub me the wrong way. Sorry, it just does. If you want to pull the world's problems into this thread like a wet noodle across a dry table, enjoy yourself. I'm in jolly mood and I'm going to make pimento cheese sandwiches.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
Here's how I look at it.  It is what it is, every year the same complaints about the broadcasters, the culture implied, the "too perfect" course, etc.  I agree, but that does no good.  I say suck it up and watch anyway, or don't watch.  I choose the former.  (Watch with the sound off would also be an option worth considering.)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
Sheesh. Is it not socially acceptable to hate the mawkish coverage while still loving the toonamint?  The extent to which journalists kiss the ass of the host of this event cheapens it but it's still awesome. Holy Week?  Not so sure I can find a kneeler or a religious vestment but I damn sure will remain well hydrated.

Almost time to put the Ketel to the metal or Patron to the bone. But I'll wait until the back...er...second nine.

A Ricky/Sergio/Jordan battle looms.

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
Sheesh. Is it not socially acceptable to hate the mawkish coverage while still loving the toonamint?  The extent to which journalists kiss the ass of the host of this event cheapens it but it's still awesome. Holy Week?  Not so sure I can find a kneeler or a religious vestment but I damn sure will remain well hydrated.

Almost time to put the Ketel to the metal or Patron to the bone. But I'll wait until the back...er...second nine.

A Ricky/Sergio/Jordan battle looms.

This was the proper response. Or in other words, how you argue online without being no fun.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
You'all think TMOTH want any couch potato rules official calling anything in and ruining their event?  I'm willing to bet anyone a Patron Billy Payne let CBS and TGC know " no zoom lenses on anything; we're not going to have someone ruin The Invitational".

Look at the shot Sergio hit on Saturday into the hazard on #13.... no zoom to see if he came anywhere close to grounding the club in the hazard.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
A few rumblings on social media are suggesting his drop wasn't kosher.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back