News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: Masters TV coverage
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
He doesn't hit a high flail out to the right for a miss. It was greedy, 3w and 6i real simple. He needed a 1-2 shot cushion coming in due to his weak putting.  Need loft off 13 tee

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »
The guy just won the Masters and this thread is full of guys who want to tell him how he *should have* played the course this week. God bless the Internet.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2017, 11:22:53 AM »
Sergio was 30-1 to win in Vegas. Next time, listen to Crenshaw.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

BCowan

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
The guy just won the Masters and this thread is full of guys who want to tell him how he *should have* played the course this week. God bless the Internet.

Gotta love the exaggerations.  The course no, the 13th hole on sunday yes.  What did he hit on Saturday?  With his immense talent I hope he wins more.  The point of my post wasn't the 18th green that everyone is focusing on but the course management off the 13th tee.  Maybe a discussion group isn't for you?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »

Seriously. I can't decide what's more ridiculous - a 10 handicap giving course management advice to a guy still wearing the green jacket he slept in last night, or a no-name architecture firm posting photos of how they'd like to alter the aesthetics of the world's most recognizable golf course. Either way, I'm rolling my eyes.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Alex Miller

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
Sergio was 30-1 to win in Vegas. Next time, listen to Crenshaw.

40-1 before DJ withdrew... when I put $10 on him  ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Does Sandy Lyle's putt creep back a little from right-to-left at the very end?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZXVFMoWrn8
Atb
Reference various comments posted above and for comparison purposes, here's Sergio Garcia's putt on the 72nd hole - see 1 min 50 secs -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aif7X1eV5Pg
Well done in the end Sergio. Terrific victory on what would have been Seve's 60th birthday too. Well played and great sportsmanship from Justin Rose as well.
Atb

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
How many years old are the flyovers that CBS is using?  Their flyover of the 18th hole, which was shown just before the playoff started, includes the elevated press/photo bleachers to the left of the 18th green right beside the TV towers.  I am pretty sure that this bleacher has not been up for about five years. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
A pair of chokers down the stretch which was oddly fitting as it seemed nobody could make a putt all day. Sergio's miss on 18 in regulation was as bad as I've seen in a long time. The Mutt Masters.
Are you using a pipe or are you on the needle?  Garcia's clutch putts on 13, 14, & 15 (first eagle on 15 by a winner in 23 years) don't count but his pars on 16 & 18 were chokes?

Really funny and really true...if Rose and Garcia are chokers on the basis of this performance, then I shudder to think what a mind like that thinks of Spieth, Phil, McIlroy, Ricky and Adam Scott...they must really, really suck. Matsuyama, Kaymer, Kutcher,  frauds all of them, and the biggest choker of all - Freddie Boom-Boom Couples - why is he even playing, if he can't ever turn in a weekend performance better than that; he shouldn't have even won in 1992, the ball stayed on the bank.

Yeah Garcia and Rose, they are  chokers, mutts... that's why most every man cries when he wins it the first time

As to the coverage? It's the best watch in every regard, every year.

I love the term patrons; I eat up the syrup; I always did and I probably ever will...it IS (imo) the most unique and special of the four professional majors; it IS about the traditions of game, the club and the tournament, who founded it, how it was run, how it was shown, the jacket, the champions dinner, the career-long entry into the tournament, the ceremonial tee shot, the monuments to great stars...

How different Freddy Couples career and Langer's reputation if they didn't win here...they would be out of your mind and anonymously ensconced in their Senior fortunes. Ask John Daly if he wouldn't have rather won here than even an Open at St. Andrews; it may have put his memory down in a much better way, if HE had a place to go to each year, to be influenced by the great champions of the game. Of ALL his many miserable defeats, tell me that Greg Norman's failures here did not define him with twice the measure of his two major wins and scores of tournament victories.

If you think the Masters culture is silly, craven or worthy of tiresome annual protest than you likely think the same of golf in your heart of hearts, because everything about the Masters culture holds golf, the reverence of golf and its great players in a shining and heroic light. Whatever honor there is to be had in the playing of a game, they announce. Whatever is good about the recreation and character of the game and its past, is held up high.

In the world at large Arnold Palmer is a good man, though flawed like the rest of us. In the Masters' world, he was first crowned as a King, without blemish. I don't know if the hardest of hard boiled stories are true about Palmer, but in the non-Masters world, the stories make him no more or no less a golfer, thing or human to be respected than Tiger, who blows his competitive record AWAY.

I too am not impressed with anyone but Faldo and Baker-Finch; I wish they had a better Hole Tower roster, but to hate (yes, "hate") on this is like throwing a hammer at the David.

cheers
vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
Wayne, the flyovers date to 2012, at least on the 18th. The press stand was not there in 2013 because Augusta decided it didn't look good. GWAA has complained about that without success.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Carl Nichols

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »

Gotta love the exaggerations.  The course no, the 13th hole on sunday yes.  What did he hit on Saturday? With his immense talent I hope he wins more.  The point of my post wasn't the 18th green that everyone is focusing on but the course management off the 13th tee.  Maybe a discussion group isn't for you?

On Saturday, he hit the same shot (driver with a fade), killed it, and made birdie.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
Gotta love the exaggerations.  The course no, the 13th hole on sunday yes.  What did he hit on Saturday?  With his immense talent I hope he wins more.  The point of my post wasn't the 18th green that everyone is focusing on but the course management off the 13th tee.  Maybe a discussion group isn't for you?
He played it exactly the same way on Saturday.  And Thursday and Friday for that matter.  It's just that on each of those occasions his fade went over the trees, rather than catching them.  And he hasn't hit a draw for years.  His stock shot now is a fade.[/size]
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
He played it exactly the same way on Saturday.  And Thursday and Friday for that matter.  It's just that on each of those occasions his fade went over the trees, rather than catching them.  And he hasn't hit a draw for years.  His stock shot now is a fade.

Precisely. As Sergio himself said in various interviews this week. But there will always be people who remember him hitting a draw a decade ago convinced they know best.

Anyway, sort of more to the point. It's not like Sergio doesn't understand that the hole prefers a right-to-left shot. So if he's playing the hole with a cut and aiming over the trees (as he did all four days this week) he's doing so because he has decided the inherent risks of that shot are preferable to the risks of trying to hit a draw, which isn't his preferred shot anymore.

This is an inherent hazard of MMQB'ing a golfer's game. Even if you watched every broadcasted shot Sergio hit this week, you didn't see him in the practice rounds or on the range or every drive he hit in competition and out over the months as he got ready to play this tournament.

jeffwarne

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »

Hitting driver and playing a fade off 13 was a poor decision IMO.  His strength is moving it right to left. 

Pretty sure he was playing a power fade all week, including on 13.

A decision he had used all week

Right, that's what I meant by "all week."   ;)

That reading comprehension thing again ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BCowan

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »

Seriously. I can't decide what's more ridiculous - a 10 handicap giving course management advice to a guy still wearing the green jacket he slept in last night, or a no-name architecture firm posting photos of how they'd like to alter the aesthetics of the world's most recognizable golf course. Either way, I'm rolling my eyes.

Jason,

I was a plus in my day.   :-*     Lets play this summer for a grand...  A guy with the skill set of Sergio should have 3 or 4 majors already. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »
I'm thinking of what Henry Longhurst might've said if he was still with us and still covering the Masters. He'd probably say nothing for a long time, as the pictures of Sergio's emotional celebration and the cheers of the crowd played on. Then:

"And here again is that youthful exuberance we first saw at Medinah, oh so many years ago..."

BCowan

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »

Hitting driver and playing a fade off 13 was a poor decision IMO.  His strength is moving it right to left. 

;D ;D ;D

I think driver off the tee on 13 for someone who hits a low fade is a poor club choice.  Greedy.  It's kinda like Norman doubling the 11th at 86 PGA at Inverness the easiest par 4 on the course from the middle of the fairway, from a fairway divot, but folks remembering the Tway bunker shot. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:16:30 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Alex Miller

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »

;D ;D ;D

I think driver of the tee on 13 for someone who hits a low fade is a poor club choice.  Greedy.  It's kinda like Norman doubling the 11th at 86 PGA at Inverness the easiest par 4 on the course from the middle of the fairway, from a fairway divot, but folks remembering the Tway bunker shot.

He pulled it off the day before...

BCowan

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
He had a hanging lie and almost put his 2nd in the drink, I recall from watching replay?  It's all percentages amd he can hit his 3 wood as far as most can hit their driver.   JMO. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »

;D ;D ;D

I think driver off the tee on 13 for someone who hits a low fade is a poor club choice.  Greedy.  It's kinda like Norman doubling the 11th at 86 PGA at Inverness the easiest par 4 on the course from the middle of the fairway, from a fairway divot, but folks remembering the Tway bunker shot.

I agree and was surprised at the choice on Saturday.  But not because his strength is moving it right to left.   

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »
Ben,

Bob Rosberg was on-course commentating when Norman made the 6 at 11 in the 86 PGA.
I think it was Jim McKay who asked Rosberg if there was any reason for the poor wedge shot.
'No - he had a perfect lie'

Someone wasn't telling the truth.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
"Golf is tough; I don't know if you've ever played it. But writing articles is easy," Bubba Watson

BCowan

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »
Ben,

Bob Rosberg was on-course commentating when Norman made the 6 at 11 in the 86 PGA.
I think it was Jim McKay who asked Rosberg if there was any reason for the poor wedge shot.
'No - he had a perfect lie'

Someone wasn't telling the truth.

;D ;D ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
My wife was watching the tournament with me and said that she thought the cameras pulled away from Garcia and Akins as they were walking off of the 18th just so they could show Akins' legs and short skirt. So are they sexist bums? I guess so. So would Alliss' comments be considered less "disgusting" if they had been uttered by a younger man?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back