News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Andriole

April's Feature Interview New
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Those of you who watch the Golf Channel have undoubtedly seen Michael Breed, the fabulously enthusiastic host of the “Golf Fix.” He is someone who clearly loves golf and he has delved into all its aspects – it’s his business and his avocation. Michael has been a golf instructor for more than a quarter of a century, garnering virtually every accolade possible including the 2012 PGA National Teacher of the Year.  What separates the good from the best teachers is the ability to communicate effectively to a wide variety of students with disparate knowledge of the swing, varied personalities and different attention spans. Michael accomplishes that through an almost intoxicating blend of passion, imagination and motivation.

Bay Hill’s director of golf introduced me to Michael two years ago because he thought that we’d “have much to talk about.”  In addition to his encyclopedic knowledge of the swing and a love of the sport's history, his observations on golf course architecture hold equal intrigue. He certainly appreciates the vital role that an understanding of the X's and O's of course strategy can have for the good player.

Michael is one of the most positive people I’ve ever met - his attitude is infectious and it is always a joy to spend time with him. The very special relationships he has enjoyed combined with earnest reflection have shaped his golf perspective.

This month’s Feature Interview is a conversation with Michael Breed, someone who takes the health of the sport very seriously as he looks forward to sharing the game with his two young sons for decades to come.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:53:36 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Jason Topp

Re: April's Feature Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
Great interview!

The point that stuck with me was his comment that the condition of today's courses are so similar.  Having recently travelled to Florida and Palm Springs, I found myself thinking the same thing.  Back in the 80's when I first played courses in warm climate areas it was almost a completely different game.  One needed to know how to putt on grainy Bermuda.  One needed to know the grain for a chip shot because the ball would either stop like hitting Velcro or run on.  Bermuda rough was nasty with the ball sinking to the bottom of a Brillo pad.  Even the fairways seemed different and much more punishing to a shot hit slightly fat. 

Now - the greens are not all that different from Midwest greens.  There is grain but not a whole lot more than exists on bent.  I suppose the rough is just as difficult although I am usually in the South when it is dormant and/or over-seeded. 

I also think, as a general rule, most courses are much more firm than they once were.  I have played soggy courses in Northern California and Georgia but weather was the factor causing those conditions.     

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
400+ yard drives are great for the game  ???

JJShanley

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
400+ yard drives are great for the game  ???

The 400 foot home run in baseball, or the six-over-the-bowlers-head in cricket, excite me because you score that way in those sports.  You score in golf by holing out in as few shots as possible, over 18 holes, or by lower scores than your opponent in matchplay.  A 400 yard drive only helps if you can stick a wedge close, and then hole the putt.  I find golf (televised, and my own attempts) much more fun as it gets closer to the hole. 

If I made eagle on, say 13 at Augusta, I'd remember the hole-out more than the approach, which I'd remember more fondly than the drive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back