News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Spring has sprung in NYC, and two things happened today:

• My wife visited the new New York Road Runners Run Center on 57th Street;
  • I got an email that Yale Golf Club opens tomorrow. :)

Many moons ago, I introduced my wife to:

• Triathlons;
  • Running; and
  • Golf.

She has completed 3 marathons, roughly 35 half-marathons, and roughly 25 triathlons. To date, she has driven the cart (many moons ago) for a few rounds of golf and took a few swings. Sure, she is just one person, and maybe I am to blame, but her visit to NY Road Runners today made me reflect on the USGA.

1894 - United States Golf Association - Founded in NYC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Golf_Association

Initially named the Amateur Golf Association of the United States before it became the USGA, the Association was officially formed on Dec. 22, 1894, in New York City.

2003 - USGA buys and then sells the Russian Tea Room on 57th Street in New York City:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2003/11/Issue-45/Leagues-Governing-Bodies/Ashake-Up-Among-The-Usgas-Exec-Committee-Stuns-Observers.aspx

"If the USGA is going to move forward, they've got to change the governance. The nominating committee should be the executive director, president, the next in line and three outside people. ... Past presidents can't be sitting around deciding who is going to run the organization next. In most top organizations, the day the chairman retires he moves his office out of the building and resigns from the board. The USGA is the opposite."

The Growth of 57th Street in New York City since 2003:

1970 - New York Road Runners:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/about-the-race/history-of-the-new-york-city-marathon

The first New York City Marathon, organized in 1970 by Fred Lebow and Vince Chiappetta, was held entirely in Central Park. Of 127 entrants, only 55 men finished; the sole female entrant dropped out due to illness. Winners were given inexpensive wristwatches and recycled baseball and bowling trophies. The entry fee was $1 and the total event budget was $1,000.

2017 - New York Road Runners Opens Clubhouse on 57th Street in NYC - New NYRR RUNCENTER is Home Away From Home for Runners

http://running.competitor.com/2017/01/news/new-nyrr-runcenter-home-away-home-runners_160890

“There’s no better spot,” observed NYRR president of events and TCS New York City Marathon race director, Peter Ciaccia who, like Capiraso, is a longtime runner.  “This will be the hub for runners to come.”

I am just a consumer of golf, so my $25 annual "membership" to the USGA is not going to change anything. For those of you who make your living in the golf industry, I think the USGA needs a complete overhaul.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Lapper

While I'm sure this thread will swiftly be buried behind the commentary on the ludicrous Couch Potato Golf Umpiring witnessed this weekend, it shouldn't go unoticed. Nor should Eric Gleacher's prescient advice go unheeded.

The USGA remains an organization whose corporate mis-governance all but prevents it from being truly effective or constructively important. It's Executive Committee is essentially a derivative of mental corruption and past, ineffective leadership (See: Nominating Committee). The bias of it's former Presidents and outsized influencers remains unchecked, unfettered and essentailly toxic to any meaningful progress or reform.

Any challenges to status quo, bold initiatives, or creative innovations are quickly smothered and labeled heresy by those ancient lords of the dandruff-flecked blue blazer. Pandering to corporate marketing and influence is paramount while Public and Junior golf is given mere lip service (maybe Diane Murphy's milieu?)

Though a decent amount of good is accomplished by the staff and underlings, and for the most part their labors are well intended, the overlords of he Executive and Nominating committees are never far away from jack-booting them into submission.

Give them your $$ for your hat and notepad, and tune into their championships.....but expect them to nurture and foster the future of our beloved game?.......as they still say on 57th Street......FUGGEDABOUTIT!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:35:19 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JMEvensky

What was EG's advice? Real estate/finance related?

Steve Lapper

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JMEvensky

Bruce Katona

"ancient lords of the dandruff-flecked blue blazer"

Man, I wish us Rutgers Alums could write that descriptive a piece of prose.

BK

Tony Petersen

I guess I was lucky as it was only $10 to renew with the hat & assorted goodies ;)

Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back