News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Which 18s at Rosapenna, Ballyliffin?
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
Heading to Ireland in a few weeks with my good friend Ian. We're joining a media trip for part of it, but we have a chance to see Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, and Portsalon over a couple of days. Depending on time, we might only have time for 18 at Ballyliffin and Rosapenna.

I've done some reading on this site and dug into my books, but does anyone have a strong opinion on which 18 to play at those two?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

jeffwarne

Re: Which 18s at Rosapenna, Ballyliffin?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »
Heading to Ireland in a few weeks with my good friend Ian. We're joining a media trip for part of it, but we have a chance to see Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, and Portsalon over a couple of days. Depending on time, we might only have time for 18 at Ballyliffin and Rosapenna.

I've done some reading on this site and dug into my books, but does anyone have a strong opinion on which 18 to play at those two?

At Rosapenna-OTM-they currently use the new Ruddy/Doak nine as the front(solid) and the old front old 2 green through old 10? as the back (charming 9)
 I never was that enamored of the old back nine (now the Coastguard 9), but it did have a few cool holes.

Ballyliffin-hard to say-many will say the Old due its more rumpledness-but it's been bastardized a bit to create the New.
Both courses are solid and good in different ways-great hospitality

Don't miss Portsalon-better than either of the above.

If really pressed for time, save Ballyliffin for another time(when you can play 36) and play Northwest GC-charming and an easy walk
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
I'd say Ballyliffin-Old, and Rosapenna OTM.

I have not been back to Rosapenna since they reconfigured the OTM course (I played the Coast Guard 9 along with the Tom Morris 9 when playing what was the "Old"), but I played 36 at both places back in 2007.

I enjoyed Ballyliffin-Old more than the new, but both venues have sort of a "Modern Championship" v. "Old and Quirky feel" juxtaposition.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
Thinking back to my golfing adventures in Donegal I would suggest -

The Sand Hills at Rosapenna is the most challenging course golf wise. Over and through big dunes most of the time with numerous elevated greens, some of which have been altered not necesarily for the better (eg 13th, 18th). Sandy Hills is probably something of a marmite course - "you either like it or you hate it" - I happen to like the course.
The OTM at Rosapenna has a delightful, flowing, apparently mainly Harry Colt back-9 with a thoroughly nice, but perhaps somewhat less memorable, front-9.
The Old at Ballyliffin is an olden day type of humps and bumps and hollows 'ground game' style course - "made by 1 man with a mower" as a local described it to me.
The Glashedy at Ballyliffin is a 'made by big machines' course. Nice routing up/down the big dune but graded fairways with limited, if any, micro-contouring.

If I had 3 rounds I'd probably play the Sandy Hills and the OTM-18 at Rosapenna plus the Old at Ballyliffin. If I had time for 2 and a half rounds it would be Sandy Hills plus the 2nd-9 of the OTM and the Old at Ballyliffin. But then again I'm rather partial to Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo and delightful Dunfanaghy so I might be inclined to venture to one or more of them instead.

It is worth considering that the drive from Rosapenna to Ballyliffin or vice versa is at least 2 hrs (and probably a bit more if you go via Portsalon GC).

Atb
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:20:05 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
I'd play Narin and Portnoo ten times to none on Ballyliffin New.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
I'd say Ballyliffin-Old, and Rosapenna OTM.

I have not been back to Rosapenna since they reconfigured the OTM course (I played the Coast Guard 9 along with the Tom Morris 9 when playing what was the "Old"), but I played 36 at both places back in 2007.

I enjoyed Ballyliffin-Old more than the new, but both venues have sort of a "Modern Championship" v. "Old and Quirky feel" juxtaposition.

I agree with Brad. The "older" albeit reworked courses are much better than the new versions Glashedy and Sandy Hills. In particular, I disliked Sandy Hills on my one and only playing; it just seemed way too manufactured and contrived. The back 9 of Ballyliffin OTM was a really fun set of holes that flowed nicely. I also think Ballyliffin Old is very good except for the 9th and 18th holes, which were pretty bland finishers of the respective nines. Portsalon is a fine course though some of the holes on the front nine were too narrow in the wind we played in.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »

But then again I'm rather partial to Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo and delightful Dunfanaghy so I might be inclined to venture to one or more of them instead.

Atb

Finally, a voice of reason :) -add in Northwest and Cruit and it's all a man could want.
With an Open Fairways card that's 5 courses for UNDER 100 Euro each player!!!

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dave McCollum

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 01:42:11 AM »
I actually made this choice a half dozen years ago.  I chose to play the OTM at Roseapenna, but did a photo tour of Sandy Hills (after 12 days of golf and needing a break) and thought SH looked quite challenging.  The OTM was quirky and fun.  At Ballyliffin I chose the Glashedy instead of the old.  It was a large scale course in giant dunes, quite dramatic, however I came away thinking that I might have chosen the wrong course.  I was travelling solo, so after my golf I had nothing better to do than sit in the clubhouse and chat with the locals.  Their clear preference was OTM and the Old at Ballyliffin.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
Well mentioned Jeff - try to fit in a game at cracking Cruit Island if you can Robert - once played never forgotten, and surprisingly good golf as well -http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58468.0.html
atb

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
I'd go for OTM (Doak/Ruddy front nine, HS Colt back nine) over SH. I just didn't like all the raised greens on SH, although I saw that Beau Welling (or was it someone else?) had been re-doing some greens (11th and 18th maybe). Just too many uninteresting holes on SH that didn't excite me in any way. Couldn't see any strategy in the design. The three par fives were weak and the raised greens with "base of bowl" bunkers got tiresome. OTM is more subtle and the greens are mostly at fairway level.

Loved the Old at Ballyliffin, but that was before it was modified to accommodate the New. Haven't played the New at Ballyiffin, so can't comment.

Haven't played Portsalon and NW in decades, but would highly recommend Dunfanaghy.

Take a walk around the defunct St. Patrick's (over the fence at 7th on SH) if you can and let your imagination go wild thinking of a routing. Maybe you can propose a routing/design and combine business with pleasure.  ;) :D ;D

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »
To clarify....I always thought the Colt 9 was the "Coastguard 9" that went up and down the hill across the street from the hotel, and the beachside flattish 9 was the OTM 9...is the beachside 9 the Colt 9, over old OTM holes?

There was a thread about all of this a while back, but I forget...

When I was there in 2007, we played the beachside 9, then the Coastguard 9 up and around the hill.  I remember thinking on #18 that crossed the road that it was very difficult to time your drive with the cars that passed every 30 seconds or so.  I hit a good drive (I think the hole was like 400y), and it landed on the road, bouncing ahead 50 yards and leaving something like a 65y approach.  When I heard they did away with the road crossings and took this 9 out of regular play, it didn't surprise me in the least.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
The names of the nines is very confusing. The Strand 9 is the front nine of the OTM Links.  The Valley 9 is the back nine of the OTM Links.  The Coastguard 9 is across the street up the hill.

For me, the best nine I played in Donegal was likely the Strand 9 so I would definitely suggest playing the OTM Links.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59189.msg1391553.html#msg1391553

I didn't care much for Sandy Links for reasons described above.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59240.msg1392889.html#msg1392889

I can't help but think that if the entire property was redeveloped a great course could be built.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:48:00 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 02:01:47 PM »
Thanks Sean...yours is the thread I remember.

Yeah...looking at the aerial on Bing it looks very similar to what it once was, with the old CG9 hole next to the hotel/clubhouse out of use...and it looks like an extra couple holes parallel the road on the far side with the rest of the CG9....looks like a dropshot par 3 then a short 4 as the new #8/#9.

Also neat is that it looks like someone still mows the St. Patrick's hole corridors to some less-than-wild height...It's been looked at so many times...I wonder what it would take for someone to take that on, other than bottomless pockets?

Edit:  After looking over the old threads on this topic, it looks like all of the above was covered by all of us in 2012.  Mea Culpa!  Nice to be senile enough at age 35 that I can be enthused about this anew two separate times!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:37:12 PM by Brad Tufts »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:11 PM »
I wouldn't visit both Ballyliffin and Rosapenna just to play one course at each. The difference isn't so great to make it worth the drive from one to the other. I'd choose one place and play both courses there. I'd give a slight nod to Rosapenna for the golf. The OTM course is fun. Sandy Hills is a very tough test but very pretty if that  matters to you. On the other hand, the craic at Ballyliffin can't be beat. The members and the club house vibe are as much fun as anywhere I've visited.

Don't miss Portsalon. It was one of my Donegal favorites and is just a short drive to Rosapenna.

Cruit Island is memorable due to its remoteness,great setting,  quirkiness and steep elevation changes, but If you are willing to drive an hour or so further south, I'd play Narin & Portnoo rather than Cruit Island.

Here are links to photos of the mentioned courses:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157670586177805/  Rosapenna Old Tom Morris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157670624619095  Rosapenna Sandy Hills

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157669722164082/  Ballyliffin Old

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157669466347720/   Ballyliffin Glashedy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157667715132893/  Portsalon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157667907350873/  Narin & Portnoo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157667820436694/  Cruit Island

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back