News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

RIP Chuck Barris - Have you ever "gonged" a golf course?
« on: March 22, 2017, 08:39:06 AM »
The manic and sweaty antics of Mr. Barris, The Unknown Comic, et alia left me more disturbed than amused as a young boy, and I almost never tuned in. Yet, I was mesmerized by the idea of rendering a final and negative judgement with one swing of the mallet.

I love golf so much that I can only remember doing this once, when I stopped for a beverage at the turn at Quashnet Valley in Mashpee, Massachusetts, and failed to play the back nine. Does that even count?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Brad Tufts

Re: RIP Chuck Barris - Have you ever "gonged" a golf course?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
Funny idea...but when I hate a place, it becomes a tragedy that you just have to finish to see what abomination comes next.

The North Shore of Boston equivalent to Quashnet (which I haven't played) is Bradford CC.  I haven't been there since I was 17, well before I sought out great golf, and I only ended up there because the tee sheet at Far Corner was full, and BCC down the road was empty.

Can't believe how this one hasn't gone under, but it perseveres.  6100y, Cornish & Silva, ext. 1989 or so.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
You can learn just as much if not more from playing a poor design, compared to a good design, in my opinion. It can be an absolute blast!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
Gonged? Never. A bad day golfing beats working...

Favorite Gong Show act? 'For a Nickel'   google it.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:38 AM »
Definitely OT but I had to share this if for no other reason than my own amusement.

After a Volunteers home game in the 70's we returned to the fraternity house to continue drinking.  My roommate over-indulged (unprecedented) and placed a paper bag with two eye holes on his head and ran into the common area as the Unknown Comic,  dancing and yelling "Chuckie Baby!"  He passed out face down on an ottoman with the bag on his head.  We took our dates to dinner and upon returning, he had not moved. 

I know - you had to be there.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
Chuck Barris and Bob Huntley.  Compare and contrast.

Any responses which do not meet my standards will be replied to with a gong or a "What a pity" or both.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
Chuck Barris and Bob Huntley.  Compare and contrast.

Any responses which do not meet my standards will be replied to with a gong or a "What a pity" or both.

Oddly enough only one was a CIA agent. As far as we know.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
Yet, I was mesmerized by the idea of rendering a final and negative judgement with one swing of the mallet.

It was probably designed by Chuck Barris when he was on a sabbatical from the CIA:

http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com of Saint Thomas, USVI.

We we staying on St John, so it was a trip to get there. After 12 holes wedged into the side of mountains, playing BEHIND cruise ship passengers who woke up and said "let's try golf", we GONGED it and it felt really good.

Loved The Gong Show, at times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/arts/chuck-barris-dead-gong-show-creator.html?_r=0
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
I hate to admit if but I have gonged a number of courses. My time is worth something. If a course is just dreadful I will leave, if my playing partners agree. I can think of one or two courses each year where that has happened.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

BCowan

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
You can learn just as much if not more from playing a poor design, compared to a good design, in my opinion. It can be an absolute blast!

This is the best post I've read this month.  Well said. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back