News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

If the rake was never introduced to the bunker...
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »
Would the implimentation of bunkers in design and playing strategy been greatly changed?

At one point bunkers were hazards that were greatly respected by the player and would often need one to navigate around them rather than risk having to extract a ball from a sandy doom. Now you see tour players cheering for a miss struck ball to find a bunker rather than the high rough and an expectation of weekend players of finding their ball in a smooth and uniform sandy lie.

But if the conditions of the bunkers were left up to the fates would they be used differently in designing a new course today?

Matthew Essig

Re: If the rake was never introduced to the bunker...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:13:51 AM »
They would be used more conservatively. There probably wouldn't be 4+ a hole. Grass bunkers, closely-mown areas, and mounds would probably get used more.

Though, it makes me wonder. Would they be used more haphazardly? Or would they be in very specific locations?
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Bob Montle

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »
Something like This?

"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:35 PM »
Bob,

I love the picture, and wonder how many on this board would complain of such conditions if they encountered such.

I would love it.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John McCarthy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
A grass bunker is a much more formidable hazard than modern sand.  Would you rather hang a ball up on the face of a flat bottom bunker or get in the sand? 

Every high end course is slowly converting to the high white sand which plays like a dream.  But even as a marginal player I much prefer that sand than any rough.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
There might be decreased emphasis on the number, design and construction of bunkers.

The last time I played Dormie there were no rakes, but have not played in over a year.  But there was very little play, so not an issue.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »
 8)  Some classic courses thought they needed lots of bunkers

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
Something like This?

Look a that pic and take note of how shallow the sand is.  This is great for fairway bunkers such as Hell, but very difficult for many greenside bunkers.  Most bunkers today, especially links bunkers, are a different test completely... requiring explosion shots rather than clipped shots. 

I am all for less bunkers and deeper, nastier bunkers if there is a drop rule like water.  I am not in favour of difficult bunker conditions just for the sake of difficulty or because some nutter thinks bunkers today are for pussies.  Its the worst excuse possible because bunkers are in fact hard enough for the best pros in the world let alone schmucks like me...and the rest of you big talkers as well.  Folks vastly over-estimate the relative ease of bunkers compared to rough...50% up and down is an awesome conversion rate...most folks would be over the moon with 15%. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
If rakes were never introduced... bunkers would be feared as hazards. Places to avoid at all costs. Not just a different condition where skilled players expect to get up and down 52. 8% of the time, or whatever their average is...

Of course, low index US country club players would howl if rakes were removed!

Funny story: I was a former Grounds Chair. We were about 1/3 finished with a full bunker restoration where we were rebuilding all of our bunkers as Charles Banks had originally built them. The new bunkers were deep with beautiful new, consistent sand. The old bunkers varied greatly and were in dire need of work, but we weren't spending any money on those. The scratch players were howling. They put one of their group, a good friend and 4-time club champ, up to calling me.  We had a long phone conversation during which I basically side-stepped all of his complaints. He was frustrated that I was not agreeing with him (since I was a 3 handicap, he expected me to understand) and he finally said, "Bill, it's getting so bad that I'm standing in the fairway thinking: I better not hit it in the bunker." I didn't say a word and after 30 seconds he said: "I guess that's the point, eh?"   I said, yup, it's a hazard, don't it it there!

BCowan

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »
If you look at this Shells match from 1995 with Seve vs Azinger it looks as though it was filmed the Monday after thee Open Championship.  Fast forward to Seve's greenside bunker shot on #17 the Road Hole and the bunker isn't raked.  Someone's head would be had if that was presented in the US.  I've been to one Shells match in the US, everything was over groomed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqXS0fvaWI

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 03:23:22 AM »
I am all for less bunkers and deeper, nastier bunkers if there is a drop rule like water.
+1.....which is how it used to be. Be nice if we reverted to this position.
[size=78%]atb[/size]

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
Not being a hundred years old (although I felt like it after last weekend) I can't say for sure what bunkers were like back then but I suspect that there was a lot less sand in them than we typically have now and they were more like sandy waste bunkers you sometimes get on modern courses and indeed like the photo of Hell as Sean pointed outs. I would certainly be in favour of more bunkers being like that. The trick, as usual, is have variety.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Time for some yee old photos from the wonderful web.
atb

Aberdovey

Shinnecock - wow!

St Andrews/Yonkers -

North Berwick/Redan -

TOC

Garden City -

RStD/Harlech -

Goswick -

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »

Even on the most simple of layouts and maintenance, there is still an expectation of today's player to find smooth pristine sand bunkers. I believe that overall the tribe of GCA contributors would adjust and enjoy a course if it left the bunkers unkempt but For most, they lack of rakes and bunker maintenance would be a large turn off and a sign of poor overall management by the course. It would be very hard to convince them otherwise, especially in the context of a parkland layout. Even at a place like Pinehurst no. 2, there is a clear maintenance distinction between sandy areas designated as bunkers and not.

What I believe would be the most interesting of distinctions within the psyche of today's player is which to they fear more, an approach to a green held firm against a pond or held firm against a deep unkempt pit of sand. I think many would give more respect to the sand as a ball hit into the pond is lost and to drop a ball is fairly straightforward, but a ball hit into the sand pit would force the player to manufacture an effective recovery. The sand gives the player the best chance to salvage a par, but would place a greater mental strain on the player to achieve it.

I wonder what impact playing off of a cards score of bogey vs. par has on the severity of bunkers in play. In a generation past and under less than pristine playing conditions would players be more accepting of a bunker that left little chance for positive recovery if the score on the card was reflective of bogey?

Considering the modern version of the bunker, I would agree that a grass bunker is a more formidable and equitable challenge for today's player. The combination of longer grassed bunkers and tight cut chipping areas can be just as punishing, and at times even more so, than a green ringed in sand. But the loss of visual contrast will have a great effect on how the golfing public views that design.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
Everybody gets a trophy. If bunkers aren't maintained no one gets up and down. Yea!!!

This goes right along with rolling back the ball, making the hole bigger and everything else to make sure the highly skilled player is punished for his hours and/or lifetime of practice. Random winners based on happen chance, to hell with skill.

I'm biased, bunker play is another last chance for old men to beat down on the long ball younger player. It is also one of the few aspects of the game fun to practice.

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »
Everybody gets a trophy. If bunkers aren't maintained no one gets up and down. Yea!!!

This goes right along with rolling back the ball, making the hole bigger and everything else to make sure the highly skilled player is punished for his hours and/or lifetime of practice. Random winners based on happen chance, to hell with skill.

I'm biased, bunker play is another last chance for old men to beat down on the long ball younger player. It is also one of the few aspects of the game fun to practice.

Relax, as it happens, the rake was in fact introduced and is in widespread use to this day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back