News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Bob Huntley RIP
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
Thanks Steve.

He lived life large.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Bette and I got to play 2 rounds with Bob in the early 2000's, yes, he was the man u wanted to be
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Mayhugh

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for posting that.

Truth is, that obituary undersells what an interesting life he led.  I know he would have appreciated the mention of Amber & Brinkley.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
So at the Air Force vs Navy football game tailgates in Annapolis, Maryland this weekend, I now get to say:

"So I hit an 8 iron to the 17th green at Cypress Point, and my friend who was in the Mau Mau uprising met us at the green...."

Man, he was the best.

RIP Uncle Bob
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Terry Lavin

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
A real gentleman. Not old, just old school.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rich Goodale

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »
I'm glad Bob got a obituary in the local rag, but as an aficionado of well researched and written obits (particularly in The Daily Telegraph) he will be bemused at how perfunctory The Pine Cone could be.  No insight on his early life.  Nothing but press releases on his time in Southern Africa.  No mention of his play at Nchanga GC.  Nothing of his life in SoCal (playing golf for high stakes with Dean Martin and other members of the Rat Pack).  Nothing of his move to Carmel Valley and Wells Fargo.  Nothing about the world-wide love for him expressed on this thread and elsewhere.

Wherever you are Bob, we love you and miss you.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »
Aw darn it, that's a man I hate to see go.

I never met Bob Huntley, and that's my loss. I've been blessed to spend a lot of time on the Monterey Peninsula in my life, but not so much since Golf Club Stlas got started.  (I've been busy!). So I never took him up on an invitation to play golf.  I have a lot more invitations than time.

Nevertheless, I had a fair amount of sitemail conversation with Bob over the years, as he encouraged me to get involved at MPCC, and then agreed with me that they might not be a great client!   In all our conversations it was clear he only had my best interests at heart, and I can tell you, that's a lot more rare than finding a wonderfully interesting host.  Some hosts have ulterior motives.  Bob's only motives seemed to be golf and an interesting day.

I'm fortunate to have met a few other people like that in my career; some of them (like Bill Shean and George Peper) are the only reason I ever had a career!  I try to remember them by hosting people I don't know when I can do so.  May you all be as good hosts as Bob Huntley, and all for the right reasons. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:34 AM »
Also, I intend to get to Nchanga and to Zimbabwe at the end of next year, in Bob Huntley's memory.  Who's in with me?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:35 PM »
Also, I intend to get to Nchanga and to Zimbabwe at the end of next year, in Bob Huntley's memory.  Who's in with me?

Tom

I might put that in my bucket list given that my first contact with Bob was in his response to my post on this website in which I shared Peter Dobreiner's "World Top Ten" which included Nchanga.

That just might be a road trip which would put Dornoch (1978), Bandon (2000), Mullen (2014) And Fernandina Beach (2016) to shame.......

Rich
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:39:32 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Steve Wilson

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
Playing the Creek Club with Mike Sweeney in 2004 after my heart attack, I told him my life would ever be incomplete because I was unable to make the gathering at Painswick that April.  Since then, I've played Painswick and so achieved some manner of recompense for that failing.  But...I can never meet Bob Huntley and so I must be reconciled to having missed a greater occasion than anything Painswick could have surrendered.

RIP Mr. Huntley.  I close with envy of those who knew him, especially those who knew him well, and with a shared sense of failure with those who like me never had the pleasure.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back