News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

The Winter Top 100
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:12:17 AM »
If a Top 100 list were compiled including only courses generally open between December 21 and March 21 — what would that look like? Would Seminole (in-season) overtake Cypress Point and Pebble Beach (off-season)? How would playable but out-of-season courses like Southern Hills and The Ocean Course fare? I don't know if there's any intrigue to this or not...but I feel like it might be interesting.

Richard Fisher

Re: The Winter Top 100
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:41 AM »
Presumably this is a US-driven exercise? Apart from the relative cheapness of golf in the UK, the other great advantage enjoyed by Brit-based golfers is that they can play (and more importantly expect to do so) throughout the year. No courses that I am aware of is meant to be closed during the winter season. Rising sea levels and other variables have exposed some UK courses more to winter closures than perhaps in the past, but in general the game over here is emphatically premised on a twelve-month experience.

Which isn't to say that a British 'Winter Top 100' isn't an intriguing idea. Would cost (and some of the amazing winter deals now available) come into the equation? Some clubs (of which Rye is perhaps the most celebrated example) truly celebrate winter golf: others (like the chalk downland Gog Magog GC outside Cambridge) really come into their own in winter, when neighbouring courses are awash with mud and clinging clay. I'm sure other Brit-based GCA commenters will have their own nominations...

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »
Presumably this is a US-driven exercise? Apart from the relative cheapness of golf in the UK, the other great advantage enjoyed by Brit-based golfers is that they can play (and more importantly expect to do so) throughout the year. No courses that I am aware of is meant to be closed during the winter season.

A few of the newer courses close during the winter. Loch Lomond. Kingsbarns. Castle Stuart. Trump. Castle Course.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

Re: The Winter Top 100 New
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
Presumably this is a US-driven exercise? Apart from the relative cheapness of golf in the UK, the other great advantage enjoyed by Brit-based golfers is that they can play (and more importantly expect to do so) throughout the year. No courses that I am aware of is meant to be closed during the winter season. Rising sea levels and other variables have exposed some UK courses more to winter closures than perhaps in the past, but in general the game over here is emphatically premised on a twelve-month experience.

Which isn't to say that a British 'Winter Top 100' isn't an intriguing idea. Would cost (and some of the amazing winter deals now available) come into the equation? Some clubs (of which Rye is perhaps the most celebrated example) truly celebrate winter golf: others (like the chalk downland Gog Magog GC outside Cambridge) really come into their own in winter, when neighbouring courses are awash with mud and clinging clay. I'm sure other Brit-based GCA commenters will have their own nominations...

I think Sutton Coldfield is a better course in winter (with the winter card and routing) than the proper course. Other than a layout I prefer, the less firm winter ground makes for a far more playable and enjoyable round because the proper course is far too tight for summer play.  I spose something near this argument is used for Rye...at least prior to the new watering system.  That said, I haven't played Rye in winter or with the new system.

If we consider summer rough, I suspect many people would prefer to play some of the tougher links on a fine winter's day than in June. This is definitely the case for me at my home club. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:02:47 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
July and August tend to be the two worst months of the year for links golf.

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »

Ally, why is that? Because it's too crowded with tourists, prices are up too high or because the weather is too damn hot for the Irish?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »

Ally, why is that? Because it's too crowded with tourists, prices are up too high or because the weather is too damn hot for the Irish?

Because the rough is usually at its lushest with humid weather and rainy summers. Only the best / richest greenkeeping crews can keep the broad leaves away at this time (unless you are mid-drought like 2013)

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:51 AM »
Presumably this is a US-driven exercise? Apart from the relative cheapness of golf in the UK, the other great advantage enjoyed by Brit-based golfers is that they can play (and more importantly expect to do so) throughout the year. No courses that I am aware of is meant to be closed during the winter season.

A few of the newer courses close during the winter. Loch Lomond. Kingsbarns. Castle Stuart. Trump. Castle Course.

Adam,

I'm not sure that they actually close at Loch Lomond, more like just admit defeat ! Of course the club does have a links course down the coast that the members can play which always helps.

Of the others, I wasn't aware that the Castle courses closes which is interesting. I knew about the others which I'm told is a conditioning thing. They are of course largely US owned which maybe explains that. I think it would be a worrying trend if the Links Trust were going down the same road ie. closing in winter to be in tip top shape for the tourists in summer.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:03:44 AM »
Don't know about down south but in Scotland I think you would be hard pushed to beat any of the Gullane courses in terms of conditioning. Even with frosts they are on main greens and tees, and whats more they don't put the pins in silly positions (although some of the silly positions can be a lot of fun).

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
If this is a World list then Australia and New Zealand would be far more prominent ... and I might have two or three courses in the top ten :)

Thomas Dai

Re: The Winter Top 100 New
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
As mentioned above, links courses can, weather permitting, be wonderful in the winter. For example, the first time I played Burnham & Berrow was during the winter many moons ago. On the 2nd hole I marked my ball thinking I was on the green. Only when replacing it did I realise it was actually on the fringe not the putting surface so good was the condition of the fringe. Fortunately there was no penalty....winter rules! Phew!
Most inland courses during winter though, well occasional play at best.
Atb

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:16:06 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back