News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Interesting golf within a daytrip of Zurich?
« on: March 05, 2017, 01:28:52 AM »
I am looking at spending a few weeks in Zurich around mid/late May.

The courses in and around the city itself look fairly unexciting, but is there anything within, say, 100km of Zurich that's worth making the effort to play?

And if I've overlooked a quality course in/near Zurich itself please set me straight!

David Davis

Re: Interesting golf within a daytrip of Zurich?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »
If we are only talking road miles then it's easy. Drive out to the airport, jump on a plane to Amsterdam. 1 hour and 10 minutes. I'll pick you up at the airport and with in 20 km is Royal Hague, Kennemer and Noordwijkse.

20 km back, evening flight and 36 under your belt. One day and well under 100 km actual driving.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »
Interesting idea, David. Some years ago Tom Williamsen broke a journey fro USA to UK at Amsterdam, nipped off the plane, went and played Kennemer, then carried on his journey to England.

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
I have heard good things about Sonnenalp-Oberallgäu in Germany. Should we within 100 miles driving.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:23:53 AM »
Scott,

Having lived in Switzerland for 16 years I can tell you that the area around Zurich is a bit of a GCA desert. Having said that there are some courses that will offer a pleasant round with some GCA highlights with in a hour.

Limpachtal designed by our own John Chilver-Stained (who has designed many good courses in Switzerland but not in the Zurich area) is worth a look with its strategy off the tee and entertaining greens.

For a more traditional private club feel then either Luzern Golf Club in Luzern is worth a look. If you are willing to travel a bit further then Domain Imperial (Pete Dye) is good or Leuk Golf Club (JCS) which is the most interesting course in Switzerland IMO. Interlaken is also decent though the condition is often poor.

Jon

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
Thank you all.

David -- It's not as absurd as it sounds, but may not quite work this time. But I'll keep working on my wife :lol:

Jon -- thank you, that's some great food for thought.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »
Jon -- searching e archives here, I see Limpachtal has a par 6 hole. That alone may be enough reason to check it out!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:21:34 AM »
Scott -- Domaine Imperial, though a very interesting place (and the only Pete Dye course in Europe) is over 250km from Zurich. You should note that within the same range you could get to Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Milan and most of the way to Munich. I haven't worked out what golf comes into range in those directions, but it does put you at the heart of Europe. You might be best largely forgetting golf and concentrating on seeing some of Europe's great cities.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David Davis

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 03:41:55 AM »
Thank you all.

David -- It's not as absurd as it sounds, but may not quite work this time. But I'll keep working on my wife :lol:

Scott,

That can't be a tough sell. You fly WITH your wife into Schiphol, center of Amsterdam is 10 min on the train. She spend the day shopping, seeing world class museums, (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum etc), throw in a canal tour...if that's not easy then you better not give up your day job and start that promising career in sales. I could probably even get her a shopping buddy for the day without too much convincing.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 06:13:59 AM »
Thank you all.

Scott,

That can't be a tough sell. You fly WITH your wife into Schiphol, center of Amsterdam is 10 min on the train. She spend the day shopping, seeing world class museums, (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum etc), throw in a canal tour...if that's not easy then you better not give up your day job and start that promising career in sales. I could probably even get her a shopping buddy for the day without too much convincing.

the two toddlers might make this a little less than entirely straightforward...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 06:17:39 AM »
Quite!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back