News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Options around Leeds
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
I have just started a new job in Leeds and, although I'm still living in Newcastle I'm spending the weeks down there.  There's a reasonable chance that, in due course, we'll move home.  For the moment I'm looking for a club where I can practice during the week and play in the evenings once the nights get longer.  In due course I may want that to be somewhere to play at weekends, too, and even now the odd game at a weekend there rather than at home would be an option.  I'm familiar, of course, with Alwoodley and Moortown.  However, I suspect Alwoodley is one of the harder clubs in the country to join and Moortown does not currently have vacancies.

I know of, but don't know Sand Moor and know that Horsforth has some Mackenzie heritage.  Does anyone on here know much about these, or other clubs in the area?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Options around Leeds
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »
Mark,

I played with a young chap last week who is a member at Alwoodley. He had to wait a year or so during which he played at Sand Moor.

Alwoodley is the only club in Leeds I'd want to join.

Do you know Nick Leefe?  He's a friend of GCA and bigwig in the MacKenzie Society. He's also a former Captain of Alwoodley.

I can organise a game if you'd like.

Ash Towe

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
Alwoodley is a superb course.

Moortown is a notch down in my opinion as a course but a very good club.

Sand Moor is good in both club and course.

Others which could be considered are Headingley, Moor Allerton, Pannel near Harrogate and perhaps Scarcroft.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »
Mark,

I suspect you are looking at the north of Leeds so Alwoodley is the obvious best course to join but do not overlook Sandmoor which is a very good course and club. Scarcroft which just about borders Alwoodley is also decent as is Headingly, Leeds Golf Club (Cobble Hall) and though not my favourite course Moor Allerton. As mentioned, Pannal is also worth looking at and if you are living to the north/east of Leeds then Fulford near York might be worth a look.

On the other side of Leeds then you have Howley Hall as the best club for what you are looking for. Good membership with a weekly medal and very good practice facilities. Also, Huddersfield (Fixby), Crossland Heath, and Ogden are all very accessible. There are however a lot of courses in the Leeds area which offer good golf so plenty to choose from.

Duncan, only one club worth joining in Leeds really? has all that Manchester rain fuddled your brain? ;D

Jon

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:11:45 AM »
I didn't say that Jon.

I said that Alwoodley is the only club in Leeds I'd want to join.

For me, anywhere else would feel like second best.

The rain in Manchester is indeed terrible. Happily I'm a member at the area's best golf course.

:)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:39:09 AM »
Alwoodley, definitely, and Nick Leefe is also a good friend of mine. I wouldn't try Moor Allerton - modernish Trent Jones. As well as Pannal, which I like, there is Oakdale at Harrogate, a MacKenzie course. You might need to join somewhere until you can get into Alwoodley, and Harrogate is a nice town.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
Thanks, all.

I know that Alwoodley is the one I'd like to be a member of eventually but assume there's a waiting list.  I do know Nick but haven't been in touch with him for a while.  I want somewhere that's a (relatively) short drive from the city centre, so the north Leeds clubs are ideal.  I'm going to look into Alwoodley but assume I'll need somewhere while I wait to get in.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
5 day or even Country membership at Sand Moor looks like a good bet while you're on the waiting list for Alwoodley.

http://www.sandmoorgolf.co.uk/page.aspx?pid=32405

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
I didn't say that Jon.

I said that Alwoodley is the only club in Leeds I'd want to join.

For me, anywhere else would feel like second best.

The rain in Manchester is indeed terrible. Happily I'm a member at the area's best golf course.

:)

Duncan,

Whilst Alwoodley is the best club in Leeds for many (though by no means all) I think you do other clubs in the area a great disservice. There is much very good quality golf available in Leeds and the surrounding area.

Jon

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:19:50 AM »
Duncan,

Whilst Alwoodley is the best club in Leeds for many (though by no means all) I think you do other clubs in the area a great disservice. There is much very good quality golf available in Leeds and the surrounding area.

Jon

You're right Jon.

I've played many other very good courses in the Leeds area; Moortown, Headingly, Ilkley, Pannal, not to mention those around Huddersfield etc.

For me however, there is something extra special about Alwoodley.  If I was moving to the Leeds area Alwoodley is where I would want to play every week.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:46:41 PM »
Mark,

I played with a young chap last week who is a member at Alwoodley. He had to wait a year or so during which he played at Sand Moor.

Alwoodley is the only club in Leeds I'd want to join.

Do you know Nick Leefe?  He's a friend of GCA and bigwig in the MacKenzie Society. He's also a former Captain of Alwoodley.

I can organise a game if you'd like.

Nick also can be quite entertaining. Seems formal at first, but has a very pleasant sense of humor.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back