News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: The case for banning drones..
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Which course is Old Sandwich?

David_Tepper

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »
Nice drone video tour of Golspie GC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BDjd6-BCY

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »
Please, let's not compare a detailed drone video done under the supervision of the club with a view from a window seat.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »
This is a link to an excellent photograph of a course in India. I know it's an excellent photo because all the comments in the critique say it is so. Nicest internet commentary ever with the possible exception of the CBB's on here.

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/India/North/Delhi/New_Delhi/photo1370161.htm

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
So far as drones for websites/commerical marketing, honestly, its not the drone pix which put me off, its the dreadful drone videos with awful music lasting 5 minutes.  I feel as though someone thinks they are putting together a movie trailer  :P

Nothing wrong with drone pix in moderation....especially to show the relationship of holes to one another and the surrounding environment. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 03:20:16 AM »
So far as drones for websites/commerical marketing, honestly, its not the drone pix which put me off, its the dreadful drone videos with awful music lasting 5 minutes.

Ciao

I wouldnt know how long they last, as soon as the c+++ music starts....click.

Clearly this marketing is not aimed at me. I visit on average 12 new courses, high and low, each year and happily pony up the asking price.  With a little luck I will keep that average up over the next two decades. Am I really a part of the potential market to be ignored?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:57:06 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
Sean & Tony -

That's why there's a mute button. ;)

DT

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »
Sean & Tony -

That's why there's a mute button. ;)

DT

David you of ALL people must question why you would give 5 mins to someone with excrable taste in music? ;)

V_Halyard

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
Drones are only allowed on my course with my permission, which will only be granted if the course is completely empty and if i have full use of whatever they record.  The safety concerns are even larger than privacy concerns.

Same at our course. We used a drone to survey some thick brush as well as provide for a nice course tour. Otherwise, there is no drone flight without prior authorization or during play.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2017, 03:34:08 AM »

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about, Sean & Tony?

https://youtu.be/xmhmBr3O1cA

:-X

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2017, 03:46:23 AM »
Hmmm, its as if the makers of the video are trying to avoid showing the course, but I could barely cope with 43 seconds before checking out.  I trust that in the right hands a far better job could be made of these video "movie trailers".

BTW...you owe me a pint for directing me toward that lost 43 seconds.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:48:12 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2017, 04:00:20 AM »

Rossini was asked if he would comment on two pieces of 'modern' music.
After the first he said "No need to play the next one, clearly it's the one I prefer. "

Of course if they edited the length of these video's down a little they could use John Cage's famous, 4'33. 
Its a piece I've never had the time for, but suddently it woud make sense.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:26:02 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2017, 04:02:11 AM »

Sean,

How long before someone goes the whole hog and employs the bloke with the really deep voice to do the commentary?

In the case of Lymm, an undistinguished boggy course by  the Manchester Ship Canal, the video does a good job of making the place look better than it actually is!

There's a pint in the pump for you!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:18:45 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2017, 05:30:07 AM »

Of course if they edited the length of these video's down a little they could use John Cage's famous piece. 4'33. 
Its a piece I've never had the time for, but suddently it woud make sense.

I said the very same thing to my ever suffering wife many a time while watching nature programs  8)

Ciao

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »
$200 to replace a window on the 23rd floor of a government building? How is this mook going to learn a lesson? Put a time and material order the same project and we're talking $1,500 at a minimum. Throw in police response, lost time for the office affected and heat loss through a broken window and the guy needs to reimburse the city at least $5,000. I can only hope the next disadvantaged youth that has an "accident" is treated so well.

Did they drug test the guy like they would anyone else who ran a vehicle into a government building?  How about leaving the scene of a crime? Who does this guy know?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2017, 12:15:20 AM »
Assuming that the newspaper account is correct, it's hard to propose leaving the scene of a crime when he wasn't aware/convinced that he had committed a crime.

I was surprised that it was only $200. I was more concerned that the article essentially gave a blueprint for a "what if" intentional attack: Let's see, this crashed through easily, this part sheared off, this other part jettisoned to this degree and landed here.

Certainly, he had to know someone. This type of thing doesn't resolve itself with such a caress of the thumb. Who knows? I'll update if more transpires.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2017, 09:07:04 PM »
And then there is this..

https://youtu.be/6gQE--6DGJc
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
I may be missing something entirely, but are players showing up at courses with their drone and using it DURING their round of golf?

Anton

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »

I may be missing something entirely, but are players showing up at courses with their drone and using it DURING their round of golf?

No, this a paranoid 'what if' Dooms Day scenario that drones will damage the very framework of golf.  If someone did show up to a course with a drone, I would be 99.9% sure that the course owners/management would kindly ask the individual to leave it in the trunk or leave the course altogether.  It all started because of the very lovely pictorial of Bluejack National that was posted a few weeks ago, but some individuals found it repulsive. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Eric Smith

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
It is happening there is no denying this. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSJOIVFAqnU/?taken-by=nolayingup&hl=en

Technology moves faster than any rules committee. Ban any and all drone uses now before this circus comes to your club.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »
Ban any and all drone uses now before this circus comes to your club.

Your welcome.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »
Mike,

Sorry, i wish the drone had hit the parent taking the video.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
In the "even paranoids sometimes have real enemies" file, find the prediction that soon enough the only places that won't have drones flying overhead during your rounds of golf will be Mike Keiser's courses.  In the modern world you've got to pay a lot for nature, you've got to pay a lot to walk, and you've got to pay a lot for peace and quiet. You don't think you'll soon have to pay a lot *not* to have drones flying over your head?
Peter 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back