News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

Re: Bluejack National - Drone Photos / Video
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »
Andy-
Thanks for the drone shots...and for The Fried Egg.  Both add to the discussion.

Having said that, high-altitude drone shots cannot show terrain.  Terrain is important to good golf.  (Of course, even photos and TV shot from ground level have difficulty capturing terrain.)

Is there a risk that drone shots make a course look less interesting and appealing?  While that may not be a problem for a well-known venue, could such shots diminish interest in a newcomer?

Joe Zucker

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
Part of the criticism about drone shots is valid (particularly that terrain movement is hard to see), but no one is advocating that we only show drone pictures from now on.  If I were trying to portray a course it would include some pictures from above to show the routing and some pictures from eye level with more detail.

Drones can supplement what we already know of a golf course from looking at Google Earth or the routing map.  I think it is very unlikely that drone pictures would have a negative impact on a course if they are used in conjunction with other types of imagery.  In the age of the internet, we probably aren't dropping other pictures to add in drone shots.  We have more of both.

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 10:59:44 AM »
Joe-

Agree.  I would not suggest that drone shots are so bad that they should be eliminated.  And they will not supplant photos.

For me, however, they don't add that much.  Just a matter of taste. 

Ross Harmon

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
There's only two places on the course where there are consecutive, parallel holes - #5/#6 and #8/#9. The sight lines, varied yardages (long 5/short 4 and then short 4/ long 4), wide fairways and mature trees minimize any "parallel" feelings though. And the swirling winds constantly challenge the player on each hole.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »
Put me in the camp of hating on drone videos / photos. Don't get me wrong, I love them and they capture incredible images and video but they often misrepresent and make sites look better than they really are. I am particularly annoyed with the ones showing the proximity to oceans that you will never see for example. Drone videos provide a perspective that a regular golfer will not experience, I dislike the trickery, buyer beware I guess?

They are first and foremost used for marketing and may be a little more useful at places like Cabot Cliffs or Bandon Dunes where the spectacular video matches the spectacular views and experience.  I also like the way some shots were used in the recently linked Tara Ita video in which they did a nice job capturing the scale of some of the ground contours while showing the ball roll. I also see a benefit in showcasing some sprawling resorts with drone video since it can give you a better idea of where courses are located on property, roads, amenities, etc...

I'm still attached to my DSLR camera and my feet on the ground, or the back of a cart, not 20' off the ground  ::)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 04:58:04 AM »
I don't know if a course can look good up close and bad on a drone?  Maybe, we haven't seen enough videos/feedback to make that determination, or at least I can't.  If it looks good on the drone, IMO it will probably look good up close, but perhaps not always.  If it looks back up close, I doubt the drone would fool you.

I may have a chance to play the course this year and very excited to do so.  However I'm not going to play at the height of the summer so maybe fall.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 06:34:18 AM »
 8) Big Karma snake eating its tail here, fitting that Mr Blake ("The Bobby Jones of TX") would have his pet project now compared to ANGC thanks to TW.  Nice little history lesson in there...

http://texasgolfon.com/component/content/article/41-houston-full-course-reviews/127-blaketree-national-golf-club.html
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

E P Purmort

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
Andy and for those who have been to BlueJack, what is the story on the scene/vibe there? I've always read that it is incredible, but I don't fully understand how. An article I read years back when it opened mentioned they have a unique par 3 pitch and putt that is lit at night. Sounds delightful. Your first hand knowledge, without mention of drones, would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Lang

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
 8)  Two years ago it was a 6 figure initiation fee and a 3-4 figure per month dues/bill vibe out there... for one golf course and the short play area.  Its a very nice place and I'm sure they're treating folks very well out there.

I don't understand the economics from a player perspective.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back