News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Re: What LA area club is this?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »
OK Bill, I accept Ojai which I've never been to.  I didn't play much golf during my 15 years in Pasadena.  My exercise choice was jogging and since I lived near the Arroyo I often headed up past the Rose Bowl to the JPL and back down on the opposite side of Brookside golf course.  The mountains reminded me of a familiar view.   

I'll defer to Mr. Naccarato.  I was just following the crowd.  Never actually made it up to Ojai when I lived out there.

My grandparents used to live on Arroyo Boulevard, just north of California, so we spent a lot of time down in the arroyo. Every year we'd go over early on January 1st to see the floats on Orange Grove before heading back in to watch the parade.  Beautiful part of town.  Our league finals cross country course was down in the arroyo as well.  Played Brookside many times.  It was South Pasadena's home course in high school.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 09:05:39 AM »
I grew up just a short distance from Toluca Lake(Lakeside).  I lived in Ojai for 3 years.  It looks like the mountains surrounding Ojai, but it makes no sense to me that they would travel that far from the Hollywood studios.  IT DOES IN NO WAY RESEMBLE THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS near Lakeside Golf Club.  It does however look like the Sierra Madre mountains that would have framed Altadena CC.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 12:52:33 PM »
I grew up just a short distance from Toluca Lake(Lakeside).  I lived in Ojai for 3 years.  It looks like the mountains surrounding Ojai, but it makes no sense to me that they would travel that far from the Hollywood studios.  IT DOES IN NO WAY RESEMBLE THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS near Lakeside Golf Club.  It does however look like the Sierra Madre mountains that would have framed Altadena CC.

Lynn,

The problem with that is when you look at Google Maps, the driving range faces to the south, away from the mountains near Altadena.

I'm inclined to think that it is Lakeside as well..  Again looking at Google Maps, when you're on the range, you're facing some small mountains as it shows in the old clip. And the relative location of the parking lot to the Range also works.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:54:36 PM by Kalen Braley »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »

I can pretty definitively rule out Altadena.  There appear to be homes in the background, and the only structures between the course and Mendocino street are the clubhouse/restaurant/cart barns (aside from the Town and Country Club, a separate facility, that's not in the background here).  Eaton Canyon has an uphill range like this, but there's a big debris basin above the range, and you can't really see any structures directly behind it.  If it's an actual range and not a converted hole, it's not San Gabriel either.  I'm having a hard time finding a course throughout those foothills that actually have homes in the background. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
From the Hepburn/Tracy movie Pat and Mike, 1952:

IMDB says the golf scenes were at Riviera, but nothing about this looks like Riviera, to me.

https://youtu.be/gsF6blrbUHU

And apparently, Hepburn won the Connecticut amateur women's championship in her youth.
Wikipedia lists Riviera and the Ojai Valley Inn as golfing scene film locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_and_Mike

"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
Then it is Ojai Valley Inn.  It sure looks like the mountains in Ojai.  What this means is that Tommy is wrong again!
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »
Then it is Ojai Valley Inn.  It sure looks like the mountains in Ojai.  What this means is that Tommy is wrong again!

Is this in the nature of a Motion to Reconsider?  Taken Under advisement. 😇
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
The problem I see with Ojai Valley is:

Assuming the range and golf holes are in the same general position now as they were then, those houses could not have been where they show in the old clip.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ojai+Valley/@34.4411744,-119.2571531,731a,35y,180h,39.23t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80e9a50f06eb0325:0xfe710bbc7874b373!8m2!3d34.4458271!4d-119.2701125

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
The problem I see with Ojai Valley is:

Assuming the range and golf holes are in the same general position now as they were then, those houses could not have been where they show in the old clip.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ojai+Valley/@34.4411744,-119.2571531,731a,35y,180h,39.23t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80e9a50f06eb0325:0xfe710bbc7874b373!8m2!3d34.4458271!4d-119.2701125

It is amazing on here how people like to question things without much background or knowledge of something.  This why I have lost most of my interest in this discussion group.  I have been visiting and playing Ojai Valley Inn since 1965.  Forget the "current range and golf holes."  Did you see a clubhouse and putting green before she starts hitting shots?  Well  then please take note that it is where the current 10th tee is located.  Right in front of the clubhouse and putting green for many years they used this as the 1st hole.  She is hitting toward the northwest, towards the Arbolada, in the direction of Ojai Valley School.  In between what is now a swimming pool on her right as she faces the shots being struck and Johnny O's behind her as the shots are struck.  It is 1952, the course was closed during the war and thus the obnoxious eucalyptus trees have not either been planted or grown to the height they are at present.

Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:21 PM »
Lynn,

I was just trying to figure out the mystery like everyone else, and I have been to both of those general locations in person even thou I haven't played either course.  Thank you for the update on which part of the course the movie clip was taken. I had assumed it was on the range which apparently wasn't the case.

I started with this as a reference point:

And when I compared that to a Google earth shot from behind each range, you can see where I thought Lakeside seemed to be at least plausible and a much better match.

Ojai Valley - Range View:

Lakeside - Range View:

With the new information you provided, certainly this view appears to be the winner! Thank you for the clarification!

AChao

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 02:13:34 AM »
Wow!  Is that how the 1st hole looked year ago?  Or what is now the driving range?

It’s Lakeside.

The mountains in the backdrop are the Verdugo Hills of Glendale.  You can see parking lot towards the far left  and that’s the old clubhouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back