News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

What LA area club is this?
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
From the Hepburn/Tracy movie Pat and Mike, 1952:

IMDB says the golf scenes were at Riviera, but nothing about this looks like Riviera, to me.

https://youtu.be/gsF6blrbUHU

And apparently, Hepburn won the Connecticut amateur women's championship in her youth.

Pete_Pittock

Re: What LA area club is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
a 10 second internet search says Riviera.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
I would be shocked if it was Riviera. When she is hitting the golf balls, you can see the hills in the distance...Riv is in a bowl. Totally guessing, but my thought would be Wilshire.

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
My guess is Lakeside, not only because it would offer a better view of the mountains that are visible, but also because it sits right in the middle of all the studios in Burbank.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

AChao

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
Definitely not Riviera.
I would guess[size=78%] San Gabriel or Annandale.[/size]

Greg Chambers

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
Not Riv, wrong mountains for Lakeside or Wilshire.  It looks a lot like San Gabriel CC to me.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »

More searching suggests it is Ojai Valley Inn.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

More searching suggests it is Ojai Valley Inn.

Looks a lot like the hills around there for sure

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »
Ojai itself says it was filmed there.
https://www.ojairesort.com/about/ojai-valley-resort-history

You can see the same mountain outlines in both the film clip posted and this video of the 10th hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EY8Ic9Z1gk&t=16s

But if this still is from the same film, then some shooting also took place on Rivera's 1st tee:
https://i2.wp.com/filmfanatic.org/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Pat-and-Mike-Golf.png

Interesting challenge!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
wow, she could play :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »
Part of the movie also shot at Riviera. She is seen teeing off in the national tournament on Riviera's first hole, I believe.

Hepburn was reputed to be a 4-handicap at one point. She shot even par with an ace on the final hole (now the sixth)  of her home course, Fenwick Golf Course in Old Saybrook, Conn. That night the family home there was destroyed by the Hurricane of '38.

I heard there is a ;ovely chapter about Fenwick in "To the Nines."  :o

Bestest Regards,

Anthony

V_Halyard

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
This is likely Lakeside or Griffith Park given the straight-on view of the mountains and proximity to the studios.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

AChao

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 02:15:40 AM »
Though I haven't been to these clubs in a long time, I have played at all of the possible clubs.  In the movie, it looks like she is hitting toward the mountains that are to the North of her.  (Judging from the brightness of light on certain angles.)  I can't tell if it is a driving range or a hole, but if it is a driving range, I think San Gabriel has one that hits to the north and could be it.  Most of the others hit west or to a canyon that is much closer.  If she is on a hole, then there are a few more possibilities.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 09:31:14 AM »
My guess is Altadena, up against the San Gabriels.  Could also be Santa Anita which I've never seen.  Perhaps Brookside.  My point is the mountains look like the Pasadena area.   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »
Definitely not Riviera.

I'll guess Ojai Valley as well..

Michael Robin

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 01:20:23 AM »
It’s not Riviera, definitely looks like Ojai, relationship of putting green to lodge looks like it is now, which would have her hitting balls in the correct orientation to the mountains. Also the correct orientation to the parking lot. Would be hitting shots up a current fairway, which I think is now 12?

Bill Seitz

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 01:29:16 AM »
My guess is Altadena, up against the San Gabriels.  Could also be Santa Anita which I've never seen.  Perhaps Brookside.  My point is the mountains look like the Pasadena area.

Consensus seems to be Ojai.  But it doesn't look dissimilar from parts of Santa Anita or Altadena if taken from the right view point.  Though to get a shot like that at Altadena, looking toward the mountain, you'd likely see the clubhouse in the distance.  FWIW, the only golf course I've probably spent more of my life at than Santa Anita is Altadena.  Eaton Canyon in in the mix as well.

AChao

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »

If it were Ojai, wouldn't the building that she walks from be on the right and not on the left as it appears to be in the film?

Consensus seems to be Ojai.  But it doesn't look dissimilar from parts of Santa Anita or Altadena if taken from the right view point.  Though to get a shot like that at Altadena, looking toward the mountain, you'd likely see the clubhouse in the distance.  FWIW, the only golf course I've probably spent more of my life at than Santa Anita is Altadena.  Eaton Canyon in in the mix as well.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
OK Bill, I accept Ojai which I've never been to.  I didn't play much golf during my 15 years in Pasadena.  My exercise choice was jogging and since I lived near the Arroyo I often headed up past the Rose Bowl to the JPL and back down on the opposite side of Brookside golf course.  The mountains reminded me of a familiar view.     

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 06:23:13 AM »
It’s Lakeside.

The mountains in the backdrop are the Verdugo Hills of Glendale.  You can see parking lot towards the far left  and that’s the old clubhouse.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:14 PM »
The verdict has been returned. We stand in recess.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »

It’s your honor, Honor!  You have the tee! 😉

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
 :)
Lavin, Naccarato & Young LLP, NGLA
Barristers & Solicitors
"If we can't get you off the first tee, no one can"

Terry Lavin

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »

It’s your honor, Honor!  You have the tee! 😉

I’ve heard that before..,from the author!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back