News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

3D topo maps
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
I have a wonderful 3D topo map of Montana. Richly contoured on sturdy paper, I enjoy the aesthetics of it immensely. Plastic 3D printing is less interesting to me than that done the old fashioned way with paper. Have any of you had one created of a golf course? Is there a company around that does it?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:37:21 PM by John Connolly »
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Alex Miller

Re: 3D topo maps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »
I have a wonderful 3D topo map of Montana. Richly contoured on sturdy paper, I enjoy the aesthetics of it immensely. Plastic 3D printing is less interesting to me than that done the old fashioned way with paper. Have any of you had one created of a golf course? Is there a company around that does it?

Any chance you could share - I know there's been demand for another armchair architecture contest  ;D

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »
I am working on a trial to be able to map golf courses and produce a topo with VIs of two inches, using drones. Each course would take 8 hours to map. Not sure of costs yet. I would like to get a 2 inch map of The Old Course.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
I've build a couple and hope to make many many more. They are a lot of fun to design, fabricate, and just stare at the ebb and flow of the land. I've found that the best look is achieved with around 20 layers, which makes the source resolution critical for for flatter courses. I can't find any pictures of the one I made from cut paper but here are a couple of pictures of a recognizable course I built out of 1mm painted plywood:

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
John, are you speaking of the topo maps that require stereoscopic viewers that you look staight down on the map and get the 3-d full effect?  We used to have many of them on range and township maps of sections of Wisconsin, used at Geography labs at UW.  They are very cool
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »
Cool stuff Ben!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:15:53 AM »
Nice work Ben.

Adrian,

it will be interesting to see how your project pans out.

Jon

John Connolly

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »

John, are you speaking of the topo maps that require stereoscopic viewers that you look staight down on the map and get the 3-d full effect?  We used to have many of them on range and township maps of sections of Wisconsin, used at Geography labs at UW.  They are very cool

RJ,

No, I've attached a link to a pic of the map I'm referring to. The company that manufactures the map is (was) called Hubbard Scientific Inc. They may be NLE.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm4hjat3ylt4xh3/IMG_2831.jpg?dl=0

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:16:23 AM »
John,
Your map looks very like the plastic vacuum formed ones we had in school:

http://relief-maps.co.uk/

You sure yours is paper?

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »

Here's a polystyrene green site model I made during my MSc. It's been covered in the coloured sawdust that railway modellers use.

Very low-tech these days!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
https://www.amep.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=174

says Hubbard Scientific maps are vacuum formed vinyl.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Drew Groeger

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
To see this same course on my living room floor, I went the virtual route:

Nearly the same view as Ben's second image!

John Connolly

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »
Cool samples gents, thank you. Hubbard Scientific appears to offer these only of select regions in the U.S. - namely mountainous areas. Too bad - I'd love to send in some coordinates of my home course and have it made. It wouldn't be nearly as dramatic given its relatively flat terrain but I'd still find it informative. As would our Super and architect, I suspect.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back