News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Re: Design features that slow down play and are they worth it?
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »
I have had quite a few discussions with Ran concerning Tobacco Road and part of my dislike is the very slow pace of play and why is that? Just think how many blind shots there are and I know that I have hit what I thought was a good shot and never found it.  Also, the high grass bordering some fairways also slows down play.  I was there once and there was a frost delay and I watched at least 5 groups tee off number 1 and it was an ugly scene. At least a third of the shots went into the high grass and guys were looking for what seemed like forever for their balls.  (I hit a good tee shot and what I thought was a good second shot but we never found my ball - I didn't dare to go back and play my 4th shot so technically I could not post my round.) When we came to 16 we were the third group waiting on the tee and a ranger came and stood so he could see the landing area and tell players where their balls were in order to try to help the pace of play.

I agree with this Jerry. I liked Tobacco Road when I played it for the first time last fall, but that was in spite of losing two balls on my first two shots of the day (tee shot into the hay-covered hill on the right then dropped near the hill and hit what I thought was a good--but blind--shot never to be found). Not a fun way to start the day! Next time, I think 3 five irons will suffice...

Last week I played an otherwise decent public course (Lone Tree in Chandler, AZ) that had an island green par 3 12th hole. The pace of play was just fine before and after this hole but totally ground to a halt there, as the groups I saw contributed  2, 3 and even 4 balls to a watery grave either on the tee shot or from the drop zone. A design feature that clearly slowed down play and wasn't worth it at all.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back