News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Unrated Courses you plan to play and why ?
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
As a bit of a tangent to the usual great course lists I’d be interested in hearing what unrated or at least not highly rated course you are interested in seeking out and why. I suspect we all have one. A couple of years ago I visited Greenock Whinhill GC about 20 miles outside Glasgow. I doubt Whinhill is much known outwith the immediate area and certainly in my half decade of living within 30 minutes drive I’d never heard anyone mention it.

My interest was piqued by the fact it was nine holes by Willie Fernie from 1906 and a second nine holes by Braid from the 1920’s, and from research I’d done into Fernie it appeared that the course had barely been touched since Braid. There aren’t many courses from that era that haven’t been reworked to some extent so it was a pleasure to see a real period piece. At circa 5,500 yards, with no bunkers (other than on the practice green !) and on a restricted site it’s probably no-ones idea of a great course but it certainly delivers some great fun and at moments great golf.

This year I have Paisley GC on the radar which is even closer to home. The present course was designed in the early 1950’s by MacKenzie Ross of Turnberry and Southerness fame. Another course not really quoted but with that kind of pedigree it has to be worth a visit, no ?
So, what’s on your radar ?

Niall

Mike_Young

Re: Unrated Courses you plan to play and why ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:09:55 AM »
This question is similar to the question:  "Women I plan to date who were not in the Miss Universe pageant...."
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:41:05 AM »
I guess Reigate Heath is the course I am next targeting.  I don't know much about the course except that its 9 holes, heathlandish and quite near the M25. If its as good as Leckford (another southern England 9 holer) I will be best pleased. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Gallant

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »
I guess Reigate Heath is the course I am next targeting.  I don't know much about the course except that its 9 holes, heathlandish and quite near the M25. If its as good as Leckford (another southern England 9 holer) I will be best pleased. 

Ciao

Sean,

I was pleasantly surprised by Reigate. I had absolutely no expectations for the course, and added it to my itinerary about a week before my trip because I had a morning free and was in the area. The 2nd really kicks things into gear, and the run from 2-5 is pretty great. Overall, I enjoyed it immensely and if nothing else, it is an idyllic walk. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
The Links at Poland Spring in Maine.  An early Ross design (1913) that is around 6100 from the back tees with a bunch of short Par 4s.  I have driven by it many times when visiting our daughter at school, but never got a chance to play.  It supposed to be great fun. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Niall,

As we discussed at Goswick, East Ren is definitely on my radar for 2017. I'll let you know should I get a date organised.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
This question is similar to the question:  "Women I plan to date who were not in the Miss Universe pageant...."

and are there any you would care to mention  ;)

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:35:19 AM »
A few usual suspects are targetted but here are some off the normal radar courses requiring a visit -
Neath - 1930's South Wales hill-topper by James Braid
West Monmouthshire - 1906 South Wales mountain-topper by Ben Sayers - highest course in GB - could be the next Cleeve/Minch' Old
East Devon - 1902 upland/heathland on the south coast not far from Exeter
Atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »

and are there any you would care to mention  ;)

Niall

better not...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »
I hope to get out to Dismal River and meet the new ownership.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
As a bit of a tangent to the usual great course lists I’d be interested in hearing what unrated or at least not highly rated course you are interested in seeking out and why. I suspect we all have one. A couple of years ago I visited Greenock Whinhill GC about 20 miles outside Glasgow. I doubt Whinhill is much known outwith the immediate area and certainly in my half decade of living within 30 minutes drive I’d never heard anyone mention it.
Niall

Growing up in Greenock, WhinHILL is the local council course so was where I played my first few years as a junior. To be honest I mostly remember walking up that endless ascent from the town - with wee 12 year old legs and carrying clubs and shoes it was a hurdle just to get to the course. Fun times though.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »

Mike's response sums up the pompousness of threads like these. 

At least, (and I love architecture as much as anyone) if you need a rated or "should be rated higher" course to enjoy golf, you might be missing the point of golf to a very large degree, no? 

Go find 3 friends and a 6 pack of beer and enjoy the nearest dog track.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
Jeff

This thread is about the "dog-tracks" as you call them. Fuck all pompous about it, but thanks for stopping by.  ;D

Niall

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »

Many are out there looking for their future ex-wife, too.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
Well, you did mention courses with pedigree, inspiring my use of the phrase dog track.  But, I was thinking rescue dogs over purebreds. :D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
None of these are in the top 100, BUT, I will play all of them when I drive out to Utah and back this upcoming July:

Piney Valley GC, Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Gateway National, IL
maybe somewhere in OK
Paako Ridge, NM
Black Mesa, NM
Marty Sanchez, NM
Pinon Hills, NM
Hideout GC, UT
Moab GC, UT
Redlands Mesa, CO
Devil's Thumb, CO
Fossil Trace, CO or Common Ground
Wildhorse, NE
Awarii Dunes, NE
Swope Memorial, MO

If I can get all those in, without my wife leaving me, I'll be good.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
Niall,

already have Goswick and Carrbridge but will certainly be adding Portmahomack, Fort Augustus, Ullapool, Spean Bridge along with a few others I hope.

Jon

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »
I plan to play Huntercombe this summer. Last I checked it wasn't ranked by the major golf rags publications. I would like to play so I can experience a nearly untouched Willie Park Junior design and to connect with a legendary membership / club culture that is said to be genial, laid back, traditional, etc.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
I'm going to go see three or four courses around Manila on my Asian trip around the first of March.  The highest-rated courses in the country are real-estate driven designs by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and Tom Weiskopf, which I'm sure are just fine, but since Darius and Masa have already reported on those, I will try to see something different.  The two most interesting based on my research are Club Intramuros in the city -- a 4500-yard course built inside the old city fortifications, redesigned by one of the Dye family twenty years ago, and lighted for night play -- and something called Tagaytay Highlands, which is built on such a severe site that you play downhill for nine holes, take a sky ride back up to the pro shop, and play back down another way for the second nine!  I'm guessing David Moriarty would not be a fan :)

The other course I would like to see, but probably won't because of the travel difficulties, is the Camp John Hay course at Baguio, the old U.S. military base up in the mountains [and out of the heat].  It was redone by Jack Nicklaus a few years ago, but apparently the land is both severely hilly and restricted acreage, so it's only a 5000-yard course ... I'd be curious to see what Jack would build for such a project.

Why?  I just want to see something different.

Andy Johnson

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »
Here are a few:

Whitemarsh Valley
Lookout Mountain
Black Sheep
Lake Geneva
Minnocqua

Blake Conant

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »
The Links at Poland Spring in Maine.  An early Ross design (1913) that is around 6100 from the back tees with a bunch of short Par 4s.  I have driven by it many times when visiting our daughter at school, but never got a chance to play.  It supposed to be great fun.

Poland Spring is also high on my list when I make it out for a trip in the northeast.  However, as I understand it, there's a lot of Travis out there, too. 

From the Travis Society page:

1913 – Donald Ross, redesign and expansion to 18-holes, opened for play in 1915; July 14, 1917 issue of Poland Spring paper, The Hilltop, announced golf course changes “under the direction of Professional A.H. Fenn and Walter J. Travis” consisting of rebuilt or new greens on 10 holes, addition of 10 new bunkers, and new tees on 12 holes.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Inverollochy,Peterhead, Fraserburg, Rosehearty, Cullen, Moray etc. a whole group in that area.
Been planning it for 10-15 years-never quite make it

Kington and Welshpool in July
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 02:44:42 AM »

If we've heard about it, you probably shouldn't be mentioning it. And, we've heard of these.
None of these are in the top 100, BUT, I will play all of them when I drive out to Utah and back this upcoming July:

Piney Valley GC, Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Gateway National, IL
maybe somewhere in OK
Paako Ridge, NM
Black Mesa, NM
Marty Sanchez, NM
Pinon Hills, NM
Hideout GC, UT
Moab GC, UT
Redlands Mesa, CO
Devil's Thumb, CO
Fossil Trace, CO or Common Ground
Wildhorse, NE
Awarii Dunes, NE
Swope Memorial, MO

If I can get all those in, without my wife leaving me, I'll be good.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Fisher

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 05:12:13 AM »
Tim and Sean - Reigate Heath hasn't always been completely under-the-radar. Older British GCAers may recall 'A Round with Alliss', in which Peter Alliss played a few holes with golfing celebs and chatted amiably. The game recorded at Reigate Heath was notable for the appearance of a genuine global A-list performer, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa. The same series also ventured to Huntercombe a couple of times, PA's guests there including Val Doonican (then a highly competent 4-ish handicap). It would be great if tapes of these programmes survived (I think Hollinwell likewise figured), but I suspect that they won't, given the general archival carnage that was the BBC of the 1970s and 1980s.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
Richard,
Your post got me searching.
Here's a nice one of PA playing Blairgowrie Rosemount with legend Bill McLaren!

https://youtu.be/ttbtRNNQufY

Cool...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back