News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Muldoon

Fraserburgh V Peterhead
« on: January 27, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »

Could those in the know please give me their split if they were playing 10 rounds over these courses.
4 of us are playing in the Fraserburgh open in June and I think we should also play it the following day as I've heard it is much the better course, whereas 1 of the group wants to play Peterhead (Trophy Hunting ??? ). It is also £35 cheaper than Peterhead if you play it after 2pm.
All advice welcome.
We are also playing Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen. Not interested in Murcar as it's overated for the cost.

Bob Montle

Re: Fraserburgh V Peterhead
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
I've only played Peterhead once, vs three times for Fraserburgh.

For me, there is something magical about Fraserburgh once you get past the first hole.
Number 13 there is one of my favorite holes to play on any course anywhere.

I vote 9-1 Fraserburgh.

ps: if you have time, check out the lighthouse museum.  It's awesome.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »

Thanks Bob, as I thought.
Should have time to look at the museum if its open on a Sunday

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »

Peterhead's first 3 are not your typical links and the links excitement doesn't really get going till you are clear of the large building near the top of the hlll at the 5th Green.
The course has a very open feel and one can see the sea and what is going on around you.

Whereas Fraserburgh only the 1st and the 18th are mundane, but after that it's one quirky hole after the other hidden among the dunes, sometime you feel you are alone there.

Out of 10 rounds one has to play a course at least twice if not 3 times before passing total judgement on it and then the rest for preference.
So 3 rounds Peterhead and 7 rounds for Fraserbugh as 3 rounds is not enough to get to know it.

In your case, having only 2 rounds, as a GCA enthusiast you are obliged to play both for your knowledge bank !!!!!

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
I've played both, and if you only have time for two rounds, I'd play one at each. Fraserburgh is the better course, by a decent margin, but Peterhead has some very good holes  esp. on the back nine. Peterhead is just not as consistently good as Fraserburgh; once you get past the opening hole at Fraserburgh, much of it is pretty sublime links golf. It takes you much longer in a round of golf to get that same sense at Peterhead.

10 rounds? Probably 7-3 Fraserburgh.

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »

Thanks John & Phil,
I'm still inclined to do the 2 rounds at Fraserburgh as you never know when your going to be back in the area and one round is never enough to get a good feel for a course and put it properly in the memory bank.
This tour is an annual event in a different area each year and there's always a course or 2 that can't be fitted in, and you all seem to favour Fraserburgh quite strongly which has confirmed my understanding.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
Consider the link course at Inverallochy - http://inverallochygolfclub.com - it's just a few minutes south of Fraserburgh.

Atb

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Consider the link course at Inverallochy - http://inverallochygolfclub.com - it's just a few minutes south of Fraserburgh.

Atb

A neat, compact, out-and-back course hard by the North Sea, and famous because its fisherman golfers were among the last in the game to give up their guttys for the rubber-core ball.

MJohnson

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »

Atb

Inverlochy looks like one for the 'must play in the future' list
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Thomas, we might not be able to fit this in but will give it a try.
What about the course at Rosehearty?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »
If you fancy a chippie, might be worth a trip along to Fochabers. Scotland's No.1 this year!

http://www.fochabersfishbar.co.uk/

Enjoy!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Frank M

Re: Fraserburgh V Peterhead New
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
I don't know much, but I know I love Fraserburgh.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 12:32:54 AM by Frank M »

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
Marty B. -

Fochabers is quite a ways from Fraserburgh/Peterhead!

Someone should start a thread on the best F&C shop near each of the various well known courses in Scotland.

The Trawler in Golspie, north of Dornoch, is pretty good.

http://www.trawlerfishandchips.co.uk/

DT

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
Marty B. -

Fochabers is quite a ways from Fraserburgh/Peterhead!

Someone should start a thread on the best F&C shop near each of the various well known courses in Scotland.

The Trawler in Golspie, north of Dornoch, is pretty good.

http://www.trawlerfishandchips.co.uk/

DT

Yeah, but it's #1, Dude!

I was being a tad tongue-in-cheek... ;D

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »

Now we're talking.

For the GCA connosieur returning from St.Andrews in a southerly direction join the queue at the Anstruther Fish Bar, award winning Fish'n Chips.
There's always a queue there and there are 3 other Fish'n Chips in the wee port.

I think the whole village must live off Fish'n Chips for lunch and supper.
Not surprising with there multiple choice of Fish and also potato types.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 03:09:18 AM »
Richard,

I too would suggest that though Fraserburgh is the better of the two courses playing a different course is always a good experience. Murcar is more expensive but check around and see if you can get a special deal as it is worth playing. Also I have heard a lot of good things about Inverallochy so maybe worth a look.

Jon

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:55 AM »

Don't bother leaving St Andrews for your fish supper...Cromar's was voted #1 in Scotland for 2016, Tail End is pretty decent too!

For the GCA connosieur returning from St.Andrews in a southerly direction join the queue at the Anstruther Fish Bar, award winning Fish'n Chips.

As for the golf, though Fraserburgh is a couple of steps above, Peterhead has a handful of holes well worth seeing - 6 an uphill three before the well photographed DOWNhill 7th, the view North from nine tee, and fifteen thru seventeen (an almost drivable four, turning sharply and beyond broken ground with the bay in the background.)

I'd probably be inclined to give Inverallochy a go...though the first six a fairly rudimentary there is some pretty cool golf as you tack along the cliff top and drop to St Combs, then back down the beach, crossing before hugging the old railway line. Charming for sure, as is the fishing village itself - narrow streets, with the gables facing the sea to avoid the obviously fierce storms.

Rosehearty is well worth a go if you are going for a 27 or 45-hole day!?

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »
Can't say much about Peterhead or Rosehearty but I can speak of personal experience of Fraserburgh, Inverallochy and indeed the Fochabers fish and chip shop.

Fraserburgh has some serious up and over moments. Maybe not quite an Irish links experience but still some serious climbing in part. Think Gullane. That aside, some great holes, some interesting holes and then there is the first and eighteenth which are just there to get you from the clubhouse to the course.

Inverallochy is fairly flat and featureless in part but with some nicely subtle greens where as the holes furthest away from the clubhouse are more interesting topographically and in a golf sense. Some really good par 3's from memory.

Fochabers Chippie - haven't been for 4 or 5 years but back in my days in Moray I used it a few times and happy to report that it was quite good if not exceptional. Probably a 6 on the Doak scale.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

There's always a queue there and there are 3 other Fish'n Chips in the wee port.

If its anything like the (award winning) 'The Bay Fish & Chips' in Stonehaven, it isna Locals that are queuing up, its Tourists.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 03:41:06 AM »

If its anything like the (award winning) 'The Bay Fish & Chips' in Stonehaven, it isna Locals that are queuing up, its Tourists.

Stonehaven, tourists? Surely not. You will be claiming the greatest golfer ever is a regular visitor next ;D

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 08:54:54 PM »
Jon, your ignorance seems to have overlooked that Stonehaven has a major tourist site 10 minutes from the town centre.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:12 AM »
You mean Stonehaven has a windfarm too? ;)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 04:02:58 AM »
Brian,
Would the major tourist site 10 mins from the town centre happen to be where a movie version of 'the Scottish play' was filmed?
atb

Bob Montle

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
Speaking of Anstruther, it's a great centrally located place to stay in Fife.
Ten minutes from Crail and less than 1/2 hour from Lundin, Leven and St Andrews.

The Crichton house is the nicest B&B I have stayed in of the 12 or so I've seen in Scotland, and for only about 50 pounds per night.

What you save there each day could almost pay for a round of golf.

I am financially challenged and like to do two weeks in Scotland for $4000 or less.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back