News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview on Eastward Ho! with Bill Healy MD New
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
Eastward Ho! is one of my very favorite places in the game. All such places share one common attribute: you don’t have to have your clubs in hand to be glad you are there. This epic course deserved a book but compressing something so spectacular into pages is no mean feat. Yet, Bill Healy accomplished that immense task with The Golf Course at Eastward Ho!, a wonderful addition to any library.

At just over 6400 yards, Eastward Ho! was the kind of shorter course that seemingly was overlooked in the last half of the last century. Now, a series of excellent decisions and actions by the club over the past 15 years have catapulted it back into being recognized as one of the game’s magical spots. Mark Rowlinson shrewdly praised it in the 2008 edition of The World Atlas of Golf and the course has only gotten better since. Eastward Ho! is the best it has ever been and Bill's labor of love methodically chronicles the course's evolution, decade by decade.

In 2005, I was honored to participate in a match to celebrate Keith Foster’s restoration work there. Pitted against Brad Faxon, it was requested that I play with hickories - a blatant attempt to tilt the odds in the favor of the local hero!  8)  I obliged, knowing that I had my hands full. Alas, the tussle billed as 'The Cape's Duel in the Sun' never quite materialized. Technical issues developed in my normally fluid swing  :-[  and having lost every hole on the front nine, my signature late round charge never quite materialized.  :'(  Oh well, the course and the game were the big winners that day!

About 5 years ago, Bill shared with me a wonderful, bound manuscript that focused on Fowler, the property and the holes themselves. What wasn't to like from an architecture junkie’s perspective?! The golf course was front and center, not Mavis beating Mabel in the club championship in 19XX or some such historical anecdote. At the time I didn't appreciate that he intended to press ahead and turn his substantial text into a 'coffee table' type book. Having combed through every scintilla of information that he could find about the course and its evolution, Bill then set about littering his findings with high quality color photographs, overheads, drawings, as well as black and white photos from times gone by. One of my very favorites is Fowler's famous plasticine model of Eastward Ho! - and it is included in the Feature Interview. Not a page is turned without another interesting bit of a golf architecture revealed.

A quick-playing course made bouncy-bounce by an ace green keeper is the very kind of golf that we should celebrate. Rankings aside, Eastward Ho! epitomizes in so many ways the best attributes of UK golf (wind swept, lay of the land design, intelligent features, not over done) that made it to North America. Bill's book highlights this and properly credits Herbert Fowler, who has always been short-shrifted by those that haven't delved into English golf. Darwin was a HUGE admirer. Admittedly, Fowler's work at Los Angeles CC wasn't indicative of what he accomplished at places like Walton Heath, Beau Desert, Delamere Forest and Westward Ho! Happily, he soared at Eastward Ho! which is important because the land was too exquisite to get it wrong. A poor routing would have fought the turbulent landforms. Instead, thanks to Fowler's masterful figure 8, the fairways here rival Paraparaumu, Moraine, Rock Creek, Cape Breton Highland and Cape Kidnappers for supreme playing interest.

As some of you know, one of Bill’s fellow members, Randy Van Sickle, posts regarding a church fundraising event held at Eastward Ho! each September. The GCA faithful have the opportunity to play there AND support a good cause. In a similar fashion, Bill's book is also available to non-members by calling the professional shop (the details of which are included in the interview). Don't miss out on the course or the book!

Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-bill-healy-md/

Best,
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:46:30 AM by Ran Morrissett »

MCirba

Re: Feature Interview on Eastward Ho! with Bill Healy MD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
One of my Top 10 golf courses in the United States I would send someone to experience pure exuberance and  joy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:18:59 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
From an old post of mine:

"I would have to say that Eastward Ho! (which has been well documented here at GCA) has the wildest terrain of any course that I have played, and provides the least amount of level lies.[/size]In reviewing my week on Cape Cod, my best round was at Wianno which provides the flattest landing areas, my middle round was at Cape Cod National which has rolling terrain for the most part, and only severe terrain on 2-3 holes. Eastward Ho! was the worst scoring round yet was the most fun. In reviewing the round, yes it plays shorter than Cape Cod National, but some of those wedges are simply difficult to hit on the wild very fun terrain of Eastward Ho!We always talk about classic courses protecting par at the green, but can't par also be protected with the unlevel lie out in the middle of the fairway too?"[/color][/i]
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
Thanks, Ran. A golf course from a so-called simpler time; but reading about it again has me wondering who the rubes are and who the sophisticates. Also, I loved that Dr Bill, on his first playing, already and immediately *knew*; he just didn't know that he knew, or, more accurately, he did know but didn't yet know *why*. And to think - he wanted to keep playing it and join as a member even before it was being praised in the Golf Digest Top 100 list! How *did* those members of golden-age greats possibly live with such anonymity?  :)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
The only hole that I didn't "feel" during my playing and driving and shooting and stuff was #2. It seemed an unfortunate "get you from 1 green to 3 tee" type of hole. If I was offered the chance to play only 1 hole at Eastward Ho!, it would be the 2nd. I would want to feel it this time around.

Spectacular joint. I get the sense that the club climate is supremely positive. If you have a chance to play in the charity event that RVS supports, hesitate not one instant. If you brought a non-golfing date for a walk around this place, she/he would not only fall in love with you, but with golf as well.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
Is there a more under appreciated architect from the period up to the 1930's than Herbert Fowler?
Atb

Paul Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
I was fortunate to play Eastward Ho! last year and loved it.  It is a special place.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Trey Kemp

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
Great interview and incredible golf course.  I can't wait to get a copy of the book!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »
For us overseas guys who might be interested in buying a copy of the book, is there an email address we can contact ?

Niall

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
an absolutely fabulous course...I look forward to the book
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
Totally agree with all the comments.  The really good news is that this type of interview brings Eastward Ho! out of the "hidden gem" shadows and into the bright sunlight it so richly deserves.

RDecker

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »
A good friend of mine's father was the super there for 40 or so years so he essentially grew up there.  He kept telling me how great it was and wanted me to play or at least see it.  We went out last fall on a 70 degree november day that was a gift in and of itself.  The course was incredible and the whole package is perfect.  I dare say next to NGLA my favorite golf experience.  Can't wait to get a copy of the book for my friend and I both.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »

Niall,

Brian's email is bdh@eastwardho.net - hope that helps.

Thomas,

I agree! Walton Heath, Eastward Ho! and Westward Ho! all occupy spots in my world top 70 - not too many other architects can came claim the same quantity.

Like Colt and Park, Fowler didn't go for 'fluff'' or throwaway features. Minimal dirt was disturbed tee to green and you can't stereotype his work. He cemented an exalted reputation in the UK via Walton Heath and his gut job at Westward Ho! and I for one would have NO IDEA that the same architect did both (nor Eastward Ho! for that matter).

He came along at a tricky time with the advent of the Haskell but he clearly understood what constituted good golf - so many of his greens are a pure joy to approach either via the ground or air. I am happy to assume that being a crack player helped him in this regard.

Maybe his designs seem too straightforward (i.e. not stylish or artsy enough) to some but I've thought this for a long time: the more modern courses you see, the more you appreciate Fowler.

I give the folks at Eastward Ho! tons of credit for being smart enough to hire him.

Best,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 05:41:22 AM »
Ran,

Fowler did so much splendid work. I would particularly like to see more about his Saunton work before the WWII tank training destruction. From what I've seen his lower profile work is delightful, Yelverton for example, is a cracker.

There's a really nice 2012 piece on him by Adam linked here - http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/Herbert-Fowler-the-gilded-gentleman - well worth reading for those who have not come across it before.

Fowler courses in the UK would make fine subjects for your course profiles.

Atb

David Wuthrich

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
Love this golf course!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back