News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

George Cup VII is set for Saturday, September 23, 2017 at Ballyhack Golf Club just outside Roanoke, Virginia.

As always, on-site lodging and Friday and Sunday golf will be available, with the big event taking place all day on Saturday (and culminating with dinner that evening).  I am making some changes to the format this year, but that may not keep Scott Weersing from three-peating.

Three new cottages are scheduled to open at Ballyhack by summer, which means the full experience for more guests.

For anyone who wants a pre-Dixie Cup tuneup (as that fine event is set for the following weekend at Streamsong) or, of course, for anyone who cannot make that event, please consider the opportunity.  All GCAers are welcome (and please contact me if you wish to invite a non-GCA guest).

I'm not taking formal reservations for now, but wanted to get the date out so it can be saved by all who are interested.

WW

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:53:12 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Scott Weersing

Re: George Cup VII: Saturday, September 23, 2017 @ Ballyhack Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »
Thanks for letting us know.

It will be a fun and challenging weekend once again!

Here are some photos from 2016:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63221.msg1515059.html#msg1515059

Why should you come?
1. Play no. 183 in the Golf Digest top 200.
2. See some of the largest greens in Virginia and the Southeast. And that is not including a double green, no. 13 and 15
3. A chance to play fast and firm fairways.
4. A opportunity to meet the one and only Kevin Lynch!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:54:27 AM by Scott Weersing »

Wade Whitehead

REGISTRATION DETAILS FOLLOW

Gentlemen:

George Cup VII is set for Saturday, September 23, 2017 at Ballyhack Golf Club in Roanoke, Virginia.  Past champions include Andy Hughes (2011), Jason Williams (2012), Kevin Lynch (2013), Tommy Williamsen (2014), Scott Weersing (2015 and 2016).  I played with Scott in May and he is clearly planning to three-peat.

The Saul Shootout for The George Cup (27 holes) will take place on Saturday.  Entry fee is $50 (payable the day of).  Dinner and prizes will be in the clubhouse that evening.  Each participant is asked to bring one hole prize; golf (and, especially, architecture) related prizes are preferable.

Golf is also offered at Ballyhack on Friday, September 22 and Sunday, September 24.  Thanks to new cottage construction, up to twenty on-site rooms will be available for the weekend.  All golf and lodging costs are detailed in the RSVP link below.

This event is open to members of Golf Club Atlas, invited guests, friends of the George Cup, and anyone you believe would enjoy the event.  Virginia Tech plays a home game the same weekend, so hotel availability may be slim; I suggest locking in your spot as soon as you can.

As you may know, Ballyhack’s new owners and management are very committed to presenting championship playing conditions every day and have already invested significant capital into improvements (including new cottage construction).  The addition of our new Superintendent (who previously worked at Kinloch) has re-introduced mowing lines that I’ve sorely missed.  I think you will find the golf course at its best and that it offers the best of bold, bouncy, fast, and firm.

Finally, for those who may be interested in a second option on Friday, September 22, I have made two starting times (10:04 and 10:12 a.m.) at the Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech.  Cost is $80 per player.  The River Course hosted the Virginia State Amateur in 2016 and features a figure-eight routing on both nines.  The River Course is a one-hour drive southwest of Ballyhack (just outside Radford, Virginia) and is convenient to Interstate 81.  If you are interested in playing the River Course that day, simply indicate as such when you RSVP.

To register your participation, please visit: https://goo.gl/forms/ezlcQ7XgbicFA2rZ2.  Please let me know if you have any questions or if you need any additional information.

I hope to see you in September!

Wade Whitehead
Commissioner, The George Cup
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:20:36 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Jim Sherma

I'm in! Hopefully we will see some new faces this year. Ballyhack is an exceptional architectural and visual experience that every serious architecture head should see and play.

Wade Whitehead

Gents:

I will be finalizing George Cup details soon.

If you would like to join us, please complete the reservation link.

If you have questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

WW

Wade Whitehead

Current Field:
  • Chris Denigris
  • Bryce Johnson
  • Livingston Lewis
  • Kevin Lynch
  • Tim Pitner
  • Jim Sherma
  • Scott Weersing
Still taking RSVPs, with on-site rooms available.

WW

Wade Whitehead

Cutting off registrations later this week.

Glad to answer questions.

Thanks.

WW

Tommy Williamsen

Sure wish I could be there. If you haven't attended this event, try and get there. It is a great event and a wonderful course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

Current Field, as of 8/22:
  • Chris Denigris
  • Jeff Doerr
  • Bryce Johnson
  • Livingston Lewis
  • Kevin Lynch
  • Tim Pitner
  • Jim Sherma
  • Scott Weersing
Also, Lester George is planning to attend.  Anyone who hasn't met Lester (or spent time with him at his masterpiece) should seriously consider the opportunity.

Still taking RSVPs (through this Thursday), with a couple of on-site rooms available.

Thanks.

WW

Scott Weersing

Re: George Cup VII: Saturday, 9/23/17 @ Ballyhack: REGISTRATION CLOSING 8/24
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
Congrats to Livingston Lewis for winning the George Cup. Welcome to the club!

Here are some photos from the event.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:49:34 PM by Scott Weersing »

Scott Weersing

Re: George Cup VII: Saturday, 9/23/17 @ Ballyhack: REGISTRATION CLOSING 8/24
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
One fun question from the Quiz: Are there more ASGA architects or NASA astronauts? (which one is the exclusive club?)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back