News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael J. Moss

"D. B. Metcalf of Hartsdale (NY), drew the plans for the links." Seth Raynor (spelled incorrectly as "Rainer") was the course architect. Sunningdale does not have them.

I have tried but can't find these plans and I'm out of ideas. Sunningdale Country Club has a Scarsdale post office address but is located in the unincorporated Town of Greenburgh, to whom we pay our property taxes. I have been to their Planning Department where the trail went cold...nothing in their archives.

Question... in 1916, if plans were drawn up, were they necessarily filed? There were no environmental codes to adhere to. There were really no codes at all. Therefore, why were plans even drawn up...for the Club's own consumption?

I am sadly resigned to the fact that they're gone forever!

Steve Lang

Re: Investigative help wanted - lost 1916 Seth Raynor golf course plans
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
 8)  isn't the guy that drew the plans the architect and the guy that lays it out on the ground the field surveyor???

Plans are good for defining material quantities... or equipment needs.. or duration of labor, so maybe local suppliers got a copy?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »

I am sadly resigned to the fact that they're gone forever!

A year worth of Stanley Thompson's plans showed up a year ago in Guelph University for donation.
They sat in the archives of an Engineering firm.

That firm had the original archives of an earlier Engineering firm that Stan worked with on King St. in Toronto.
He rented space and they did all his drawing work. It survives from that process.

It all comes down to what the family did with the drawings after his death.

My remaining "White Whale" is the Capilano routing plan.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
Ian,

Boy...tracking down D. B. Metcalf's offspring! I will confess, I have thought about it.

But if by some miracle, I did get my hands on his "plans for the links," what do you think they would contain?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back