News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Volcano Holes
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »
Could the 16th at North Berwick be considered as one green with two volcano's? :)
Atb

James Brown

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »
14 at the Kiawah Ocean Course is a good modern example. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »

I believe that's actually supposed to be a Redan, except with a bank of short grass down to waste area replacing the front left bunker.

Ben Sims

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
There's are some nice photos on this thread. I'm enjoying learning about this hole style.

I was a member at Fircrest for a couple of seasons on our assignment at McChord AFB in Tacoma. I'd venture I played the seventeenth hole forty times. I never got to play Jeff Mingay's restored version, though I have seen it several times. Through years of top-dressing and reduced mowing lines, the hole had morphed into the more abrupt and severe version of the hole. That is, a small round target with a steep bank on 360 degrees. I never considered it the strongest hole on the course, or even on the second nine. Strategically, it provided little interest other than it's do-or-die nature. For that reason, it was fantastic for matches. And in its restored version, it is easily the most picturesque hole on the golf course.

But I question the hole style in general. I understand why it's attractive. And I understand it's appeal as a do-or-die option. But I n that way, it's the earliest island green. The recovery is virtually the same from all angles. And missing the fairway (on the par 4 version) is nearly always a lay-up as there's isn't anywhere to position the ball except on the green itself or well short.

James Brown

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »

I believe that's actually supposed to be a Redan, except with a bank of short grass down to waste area replacing the front left bunker.

That's interesting.  The first time standing on that tee I was most struck by how clearly it presents the challenge that if you miss the green, your ball will,be carried very far away and how intimidating that is.  That's what I think of as a volcano hole.  The green contours never seemed that scary.  With a Redan I think of the opposite - pretty easy to hit the green, but hard to manage the contour. 

Rees Milikin

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
Eagle Springs Golf Resort in Eagle, WI (about 35 miles West/Southwest of Milwaukee) has a great volcano hole.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »
Eagle Springs Golf Resort in Eagle, WI (about 35 miles West/Southwest of Milwaukee) has a great volcano hole.

Now thats a volcano hole...shame about all the green crap mucking up the visuals.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »
Does a hole have to be a par three to qualify? What would a "volcano" type green be called on a par four?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Collins

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
I don't think I have a picture of it, but there is a great volcano hole at Holston Hills (the 16th).  It's a short par 4 around 305 yards, I believe. I'd love to see Eagle Springs.  The pic that Rees posted is amazing.
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

Rick Emerson

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:56 PM »
I like the 4th at Wilmington Muni. Ran has a picture in the course profile, although as with most golf course pictures the huge land mass isn't done justice. I would assume that although the Volcano is usually thought of as common on Ross designs lots of other designers did them as well. I think the Plateau hole at Five Farms is another good example by Tillinghast. Would y'all say the Plateau hole is the same as the Volcano.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
The 17th at Luzern Golf Club is a good example of a volcano hole but is ruined by the trees on the bankings. Sorry but no photo.

Jon

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »
Didn't Art Hills build a short par 4 version of a volcano hole at Chicago Highlands? I seem to remember something about it in a magazine.

Yes, at Chicago Highlands.  285-300 yard par 4 straight up the hill with severe fall offs on all sides.  One bunker, about halfway up the hill in the front.  Green is also rounded off on all sides.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »

5th hole at Gleneagles.

Is the first bunker, the one just over the track, really needed?

Atb

PS - the left hand walkway was the first time I recall seeing astroturf used on a course.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »
Ben,

I agree that Fircrest's "volcano hole" is stunning to look at (see below), but it's not the best hole on the course.

However, there was some cool strategy there originally. As you know, there's a vertical spine in the fairway - on the direct line from tee to green. In the old days, before huge Douglas fir lined both sides of the hole, it was important to be on the right side of fairway spine to avoid having to play the next shot over the stacked bunkers on the left. The angle into the green is better from the right. Today, there's really nowhere to intelligently position the tee shot strategically because the fairway has been reduced to the spine and most tee shots kick into big Douglas fir or rough, right and left.

Needless to say, we've been pushing for removal of some trees to restore this strategy and further improve the hole.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:11:22 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Cliff Hamm

Re: Volcano Holes New
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
I never thought of the first hole at Whitinsville as a volcano hole.  After seeing other holes, I believe it would qualify.  It is a par 5 of 526/578 depending on what '9' you are playing.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:15:40 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back