News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: THE YANK'S NEW YEAR'S DAY PLUS 1 FAVOURED 50 GB&I
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
Jud

As a course, I really don't think Cashen hits the spot for me. But as a place where there are tons of cool shots in a great setting, Cashen has a lot to offer. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:49:59 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Joe Hancock

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
Jud

As course, I really don't think Cashen hits the spot for me. But as a place where there are tons of cool shots in a great setting, Cashen has a lot to offer. 

Ciao

I would need this explained to me more thoroughly, as I am struggling to imagine what else there is other than tons of cool shots in a great setting. Isn't that the very definition of a great golf course?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
Jud

As course, I really don't think Cashen hits the spot for me. But as a place where there are tons of cool shots in a great setting, Cashen has a lot to offer. 

Ciao

I would need this explained to me more thoroughly, as I am struggling to imagine what else there is other than tons of cool shots in a great setting. Isn't that the very definition of a great golf course?

Joe

The course is quite penal with narrow fairways and fierce rough, plus the walk is a bit rough.  Go out in the afternoon in a cart with a few beers and just hit the shots (mainly to greens) and not worry about finding the loose ones and I think a very good afternoon could be had.  I am not usually this way inclined, but the site is so enthralling that I wouldn't just write the shots off. Life isn't so short that in the right setting we can't just yuck it up once in a while.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:56:08 PM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 05:06:55 AM »
Apart from it being best played for fatigue reasons via a buggy, I like the Cashen.
It's not long on the card and there are a considerable number of really fine green sites, challenging ones, most small with considerable contour. Quite positional from the tee and with any needed lay-ups. Playing the angles is particularly important, so appropriate pre-shot thinking is needed. Perhaps a course for 'plotters' rather than 'wackers'? The conditioning is more 'traditional' than 'manicured/over-manicured' which I prefer.
I believe they are planning to re-do all the greens this coming off-season. Not sure I would!
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 04:12:16 AM »

BTW...Cumberwell Park Orange is a very cool nine holer which is incredibly affordable to play.  Its really a marker post for where golf should be going not only in terms of design but how it was built. I could play courses like this for rest of my days.  Greatness is over-rated.

Ciao   

Couldn't agree more. But then I would say that wouldn't I!

Marc

Knowing the course well, do you rate the Orange?

Ciao

Marc Haring

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »

BTW...Cumberwell Park Orange is a very cool nine holer which is incredibly affordable to play.  Its really a marker post for where golf should be going not only in terms of design but how it was built. I could play courses like this for rest of my days.  Greatness is over-rated.

Ciao   

Couldn't agree more. But then I would say that wouldn't I!

Marc

Knowing the course well, do you rate the Orange?

Ciao

Of course, as I was heavily involved in the design I do rate the Orange very highly. It is my "go to" course if I am having an evening round on my own. I love it especially when playing F&F.

I do have to concede though that it is not generally regarded so highly amongst the members although the visitors are often appreciative. It is funny but I have played it on a couple of occasions with some of the clubs elite golfers and although they complain about the greens being unfair etc they often end up getting a real buzz out of playing it. On two occasions (albeit in dry and windy conditions with boundary pushing pin placements) I have witnessed shots played deliberately 6 inches past the pin and then the ball trickles back into the cup. This has elicited much merriment and high fives all round and yet they still regard this sort of imaginative golf as beyond the pale!

I suppose I was rather hoping that long term, The Orange would be recognised as unconventional in its design but not untraditional and therefore become more popular. That’s not to say it isn’t popular but perhaps not so sought after as the Red and Yellow nines although I do think most would prefer it to the Blue nine.

We have of course had this discussion before here with ironically the greatest criticism coming from the person who is accredited with the design. Perhaps Adrian will quite justifiably blame the more controversial aspects on myself and despite our occasional architectural disagreements I will concede that he does know the market very well.

BTW we now have a fifth nine, all par threes but all quite demanding and full length. Designed by a past contributor here I really rate this course except perhaps the 8th which is an exact copy of a very famous Sawgrass hole but I can see the marketing benefits of it especially as you drive past it on the way to the clubhouse. They are in the process of extending this to an eighteen hole par three course probable opening in about three years.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:04:47 AM by Marc Haring »

Sean_A

Re: THE YANK'S NEW YEAR'S DAY PLUS 1 FAVOURED 50 GB&I New
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »
Thanks.

I guess my only real criticism of the Orange is the 9th with the gorse to the rear.  I am not sure why its there...weird feature. Otherwise, I thinks its a very good course with lovely variety.  I didn't care for the Blue at all, but my playing partner liked that more than the Orange.  I stopped asking his opinion after that discussion  8)

Yes, I saw the island green being created when there and did remark that its a hell of an entrance to the property.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:48:55 PM by Sean_A »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
I stumbled across this drone footage of the Sawgrass green at Cumberwell Park while looking for something else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wL9Odt86A

Marc Haring

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »
I stumbled across this drone footage of the Sawgrass green at Cumberwell Park while looking for something else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wL9Odt86A

Yes I've seen that one Duncan. No expense was spared in the construction of the new par three course and I believe they hit solid rock when excavating that pond which severely upped the costs. Cumberwell is quite a golf venue these days. 45 holes now, holiday cottages, large clubhouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back