News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Your favorite profile in "Courses By Country?"
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »

I am sure many of you found Golf Club Atlas the same way I did. In 1999, I googled Skokie Country Club and found Ran's picture tour.

What is your favorite profile on this site's "Courses By Country," and why?
H.P.S.

Ira Fishman

Re: Your favorite profile in "Courses By Country?"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
What a great question.  Googling Pine Needles is how I found GCA.

Cheating but with a good reason--a tie:

Yale--I have not played it in 40 years but the profile brought it back vividly even if I could not remember my actual rounds (certainly am glad I have forgotten my scores).  And the photos from the construction were an added bonus.

Whippoorwill--A course I knew little about other than the raves from a member.  The profile and the photos made it clear that it looks like an unbelievably interesting course that I hope to play one day.

The link:  Charles Banks about whom I need to learn much more.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
Googling Royal County Down before a trip back in the early 2000's is how I found GCA.

I thought that the Tobacco Road GC profile was really well done. I enjoyed learning more about Strantz and thought the holes to note sections perfectly summarized the strategic intent of each hole. I also enjoyed the conclusion and Strantz's ~ Pete Dye quote.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
Ryan,

Ditto on Tobacco Road.  I recall it being one of the very first profiles I stumbled on when I joined. After seeing a few pics of this wild stuff, I was just like "What the Hell is this.."....in a good way.  As a lover of quirk, I really really need to see it one day.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »

What is your favorite profile on this site's "Courses By Country," and why?

First there was Walnut Lane, then there was Painswick (not played), and now there is Goat Hill. It all started in Philly :)

Walnut Lane Golf Course:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/walnut-lane/

Come on, I am no poser!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:17:45 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Shane Wright

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
I first came across GCA seeking out all possible information in advance of my first UK golf trip in 2001.  Prior to kids, I spent countless hours reading thru course profiles.  I have always loved the descriptions of each course. Without looking back at any of them to refresh my memory, Friar's Head immediately comes to mind.  I recall the fantastic photography using both color and black and white like it's right there in front of me.  I was mesmerized by it.

In reading course profiles recently, I would certainly say Wykagyl.  The perspectives Ran gets in the photos with people in the pictures to show the scale of the land forms is fantastic.  I also absolutely love the concept of showing the historic picture of Ben Hogan followed by a current day picture of the same hole. 

If Ran used these same types of perspectives in a White Bear Yacht Club profile in the fall, it would be remarkable. 

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
I came across GCA.com completely by accident while searching for god knows what, but ended up with a thread on Painswick. 

By far my favourite profile was Myopia...sadly...its no longer with us  :'(

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:40:09 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »

Ciao

A better version???

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59738.0.html
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »

Ciao

A better version???

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59738.0.html

Sweeney

I spose many might think Jon's is better...maybe it is...its certainly very good.  However, I prefer the Ran approach of using far less pix and more nuanced text weaving in history, turf, soil and a connection to the game.  Besides, Ran's tour was my first real exposure to Myopia so sweet memory abides.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:06:00 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Jason Chambers

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

I wish I could say I had a favorite.  Tobacco Road may qualify now because I STUDIED it before my recent trip around there and instead of being frustrated and intimidated, I could stand up on the tee, smile and call Strantz a prick for this hole or that all the while knowing that I could blow it around off the tee, but had better be on the right part of the green (not unlike a certain course that becomes very popular every April).  But I also enjoy reading about the courses I will never have a chance to play.  Thank you to all who review.  I have started to do the same for a lesser outlet, but hope one day to contribute a review of my own here for you to rip to shreds!:)

Robert Kimball

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
I googled "Pine Valley" in 2000 and the rest was history.

Cuscowilla for me -- it was the first C&C course I played and also the site of my first Dixie Cup in 2004.

Was that really 16 years ago? Time flies. . .  Rob

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
Garden City Golf Club

September 2001- I'm a sophomore in High School and start dating a Junior...her dad happens to be a member of the Garden City Men's Club. I live in a neighboring town of Garden City, NY, and places like GC weren't exactly available  ;) . So I search the internet to find some info about the course to go into his house with some ammo about his golf course...

Here we are in 2017, I'm 30 years old, and still reading. I've learned a lot from this website and appreciate the efforts of the many individuals that make this website second to none.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
Whippoorwill.

A course I had never heard of, have not heard of since, and will certainly never get the opportunity to play.

It's my favourite golf course in the world.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:40:26 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »
Garden City Golf Club

September 2001- I'm a sophomore in High School and start dating a Junior...her dad happens to be a member of the Garden City Men's Club. I live in a neighboring town of Garden City, NY, and places like GC weren't exactly available  ;) . So I search the internet to find some info about the course to go into his house with some ammo about his golf course...

Here we are in 2017, I'm 30 years old, and still reading. I've learned a lot from this website and appreciate the efforts of the many individuals that make this website second to none.

Older women are tough to handle based on 24 years of marriage to one!! So did the Dad take you out ?

There is actually a Michael Sweeney at GCGC and I have gotten questions over the years such as "Are you related to Mike Sweeney at GCGC?" One of these days, I am going to get a friend at the NSA pull his member number and we will go have a 2-3 day father and son party at GCGC. :)

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
Garden City Golf Club

Older women are tough to handle based on 24 years of marriage to one!! So did the Dad take you out ?

There is actually a Michael Sweeney at GCGC and I have gotten questions over the years such as "Are you related to Mike Sweeney at GCGC?" One of these days, I am going to get a friend at the NSA pull his member number and we will go have a 2-3 day father and son party at GCGC. :)

Very funny, yes I know "that" MS...too many of us out there ;D

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
A buddy on here (Mike Wagner) first introduced me to this site.  However it was looking up the Cal Club tour on here before my initial visit there that really opened my eyes to GCA (website) and GCA (the topic). 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »

Tim Gallant

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:15 AM »
I really enjoy reading the Kilspindie profile. I hadn't played it before reading, but after two plays now, I think he captured the highlights of the course and its essence perfectly.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »
It's so easy to say Foulpointe, so I won't.

The two that broke the dam for me were Eastward Ho! and Sleepy Hollow. I've played the former (and shot) and shot the latter (not played.) The two are on distinct plots of land, but the magnitude of their layouts is breathtaking. Each probably has a hole or two that is not world class, which keeps them out of the discussion of GOAT.

I find that I could spend the rest of my days going back and forth between the two via chopper, and die in undeserved delirium.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »
I found GCA while looking for information on Yale.  My favorite profile is possibly of Holston Hills - I ended up joining the club as a result of it.  Royal Worlington and Newmarket is right up there as well.

Even though Ran doesn't post a lot, I feel like I know his tastes really well as a result of these profiles.  Given how many people stumbled upon GCA thanks to them, there's clearly no more important aspect to the site.

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
Garden City Golf Club

Garden City is my favorite profile. Many years ago a guy I met was asking me about Camargo (where I caddied and worked in the bag shop as a teenager). I searched online and found the Camargo profile. Then I started looking at the other profiles. I loved Garden City's short and sweet profile, and the pictures are just fantastic. Maybe it's the time of year but the contrast of colors between the course and the surrounding wildlife is beautiful.

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
I also found out about this site while searching for information on Lahinch which I had travelled past but not played. 

My favorite profile is the Carthage Club:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/the-carthage-club/

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
I really enjoyed the Woking profile while researching a golf trip to England.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
There have been so many...

But it's usually the one just out of reach.
Scarista-Isle of Harris has captivated me for years and this thread led me to look again.
Those raw,exposed, unusual greens sites with just enough intervention by the hand of man to allow one to experience, explore  and absorb the landscape and texture.
The turf looks perfectly not perfect, enabling slopes that allow the diversity and gravity provided by the terrain rather than the required neutering of gravity brought on by the endless quest for super fast homogonized turf and playing fields.
Heavy sigh...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:57:04 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Sabino

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Sand Hills - I had never heard of it before and my jaw dropped open reading the profile. It captures the essence of the place perfectly to this day.
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back