News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Lipper

Re: The first hole of a course:
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
I would think some of Ross philosophy of the gentle handshake comes from growing up playing Dornoch. I am a big fan of a golf course building as opposed to hitting you in the teeth on the first hole. 

MClutterbuck

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 04:03:50 PM »
I would think some of Ross philosophy of the gentle handshake comes from growing up playing Dornoch. I am a big fan of a golf course building as opposed to hitting you in the teeth on the first hole.

Nice to know my introduction to golf in Scotland early morning in May will be gentle after 7500 miles to get there. Gets me thinking that destination/resort courses should absolutely have a relatively easy opening hole.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:53 AM »
I too like a course that builds up to the harder holes as the round goes on but when I look at my favourite openers they are all tough holes. Royal Birkdale is a fantastic but very difficult hole that requires both shapes of shot and is long. York Golf Club (Strensil) is another toughy par four and Huddersfield's (Fixby) first is a fabulous, long par 4 though would be better in my opinion were the hollow at the back of the green reinstated as green so the hole would be a par 5 as it originally was. I guess this just shows that it is often the exceptions to the rule that are liked the best.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 03:56:42 AM »
A tough hole (or couple of holes) to start with can eliminate a section of the field in a match/competition...the 'bad first hole lose the plot' brigade. Seen it happen many, many times.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back