News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MJohnson

Re: The first hole of a course:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
I really enjoyed the first hole on the Highgate course at Enville which I played with Neil White last week. A big, open long hole with which to ease yourself into a round.  I was happy to be just off the green with my second and to up and down for a four.

I was even happier then to discover that the hole is a par 5!!   ;D

What did you think of the first on the Lodge in the afternoon? It is off a shorter tee in the winter but a 180 yard par 3 to start is not so easy !!

Great hole!
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »

My preference is a short (drivable for the young flat bellies) par 4 to start the round. One which has a severe penalty for them if they miss their target.

Surely the problem with a driveable par 4 as an opener is that the flat bellies are having to wait for the green to clear before they tee off, thus causing delays even before the round has started.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
I have always been intrigued by Donald Ross' (supposed) view that a first hole should be a "gentle hand shake" opener to ease a player into the round.

How do you see it?

- should it depend on the routing?
- is it designed to set the tone?
- do you want it to be easy or moderate or difficult?
- does it even matter?

I look at some of the best courses here in Chicago as a reference:

1. Chicago Golf Club - Par 4, 450 yards. I'm elated if I escape with a 4
2. Shoreacres - Par 5, 490-520. A birdie chance for sure.
3. Old Elm - Par 5, 490 (or so) downhill. A birdie chance if there ever was one.

Should there be an "orchestrated progression" when designing the first few holes? Or, should the routing dictate how the GCA views the sequencing?
Ian,     Here in Chicago perhaps the best example of a Ross handshake opener is at Beverly. At 350 yds its a driver , wedge or 9 iron. With the extensive tree removal work we are doing it may become one of the better holes on the course.  The views will be amazing with an infinity green and a 40 ft drop for those that end up long. The addition of short grass beyond the front bunkers will make for some interesting recovery shots.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
There must be a reason(s) why the No. 1 hole is never the best hole on any course I've ever played or read about. Like Tim, I've played many an opening hole that much too clearly crossed over from gentle handshake to limp throwaway. I think that if architects *tried* to make the opening hole the very best one on the course, it would at least *end up* being the 7th or 9th best (given the demands/constraints of getting away from the clubhouse, and the inherently deep bias towards half par openings).

A post worthy of a new thread entitled "courses where the first hole is the best or most celebrated".

But seeing as Ran wants a moratorium on too many new threads, here will do:

Portstewart 1st and Doonbeg 1st are often considered the best on their respective courses. Maybe they are exceptions that prove the rule?

Another exception, my first club, San Andres Golf Club, Doak 6, has a tough uphill par 4 with a severe two shelf green as an opener. TD thought it was a great openinig hole and great tough green. I always liked that start.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
I grew up playing a ton of golf at a course with a brutally difficult first hole. 440 yards, narrow and tree-lined, OB left, tiny green. Easily the hardest hole on the course. I started so many rounds 2- (or 3-!) over after the first hole that I came to really appreciate the gentle handshake that is more common.

But variety is the spice of life and the rare instance of a tough first is something of a welcome novelty now.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »

My preference is a short (drivable for the young flat bellies) par 4 to start the round. One which has a severe penalty for them if they miss their target.

Surely the problem with a driveable par 4 as an opener is that the flat bellies are having to wait for the green to clear before they tee off, thus causing delays even before the round has started.

But it can act as a natural starting gap to the game.  I often that par 3s would make the best starters because of the natural starting gap...and of course there is then one less par 3 to cope with later in the game because in my experience its the 3s which cause bottle necks.  That said, I dislike par 3 openers in general because I just want to hit away to start the game.  Practically all the openers I like best are not too tough par 4s, but ones that can be messed up.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:44:04 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
I don't mind a tough par-4 as an opening hole, such as the one at Crystal Downs.  I approach it with the expectation of making 5, and the goal of keeping a 6 off the card at the start.  If I make 4, awesome, but it doesn't happen very often.

Several of my early courses started with par-5 openers -- Black Forest, Stonewall (Old), Apache Stronghold, Barnbougle, and St. Andrews Beach all start that way.  I've decided I don't really like that opening gambit, because it's too easy to screw them up and have a 6 on the card right away.  But, I'll still build a par-5 opener if that's what the land [and the other holes] tell me I should do.

My favorite of the opening holes we have built is probably Old Macdonald.  There is all the room in the world to hit it off the tee, and a huge green to hit if that's all you want to try for, but going at the flag is a lot more testing and could put a big number in play.  Lost Dunes and Tara Iti also have opening holes I like, and in fact they are a little bit similar.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
Ideally for me, I prefer one that does not feature water or long grass.

If you are a little antsy on the first tee, like I usually am, the last thing you want before you hit your opening shot of the day is to sit and watch people look for balls for 10 minutes. I find that adds extra impatience and anxiety to the situation.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 01:23:26 AM »
I don't mind a tough par-4 as an opening hole, such as the one at Crystal Downs.  I approach it with the expectation of making 5, and the goal of keeping a 6 off the card at the start.  If I make 4, awesome, but it doesn't happen very often.

Several of my early courses started with par-5 openers -- Black Forest, Stonewall (Old), Apache Stronghold, Barnbougle, and St. Andrews Beach all start that way.  I've decided I don't really like that opening gambit, because it's too easy to screw them up and have a 6 on the card right away.  But, I'll still build a par-5 opener if that's what the land [and the other holes] tell me I should do.

My favorite of the opening holes we have built is probably Old Macdonald.  There is all the room in the world to hit it off the tee, and a huge green to hit if that's all you want to try for, but going at the flag is a lot more testing and could put a big number in play.  Lost Dunes and Tara Iti also have opening holes I like, and in fact they are a little bit similar.

Now they've switched the nines at Apache Stronghold and the first (formerly tenth) is definitely a tough start.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Any variety of opening holes can be worthy.  A par 5 start may be okay, especially if there are more than 4 on a course.  Some great opening par 5's include Sand Hills and Tobacco Road which really dictate the rest of the round.  I also like a shortish par 4 to start, but may have some deception off the tee..like Ballyneal #1.  Old Town is as firm a handshake as it gets as well.

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »
The 1st at TOC seems to me tough to improve on.  On the opposite end the 1st at Muirfield made me wonder why I try to play the game.   :P
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
The best opener I ever played is the 404 yard,  par-4, 1st at Cypress Point.

It leaves ample room right and left, but includes the challenge/threat of Joe Dimaggio's cypress tree. And, the hole still requires a solid iron into the green.

I enjoy the classic courses built before driving ranges became standard. They give a player an opportunity to find his swing, the his confidence, and the best of his game.

As the #15 handicap, this one puts you at ease.  I mean, you're going to be a little amped, right? 

As when meeting people, the 1st at Cypress Point makes a good impression, and good impressions include polite, respectful introductions.

[/size]

Tom_Doak

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »

Seriously?

I am a huge fan of Cypress Point, but teeing off blind over a hedge is not my idea of an ideal start.

Michael Graham

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
The 1st at TOC seems to me tough to improve on.  On the opposite end the 1st at Muirfield made me wonder why I try to play the game.   :P

It was definitely all downhill from there Mike.  ;D

MCirba

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
Michael Graham,

I'm just thankful we went off on 10 with a left to right crosswind.   I'm afraid if we had started on 1 into that wind we may have just turned for the HCEG shelter.   

By the time we reached the first hole we already had the proper masochistic mindset but all I can remember is that it seemed to play about 4,000 yards and I recall about 7 swings being needed.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »

Seriously?

I am a huge fan of Cypress Point, but teeing off blind over a hedge is not my idea of an ideal start.

Yes, Tom, seriously. No, not ideal, but also a non-factor  to any player who belongs on the course.    How do you like the 1st at Stanford, with that downhill carry across the road to a fairway below.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
A starting hole shouldn't be the best hole on the course, nor should it necessarily be the easiest. It should be a prelude or introduction of things to come. The appetizer before the entrée. To help promote pace of play, the tee shot on an opening hole should not be overly demanding or challenging. Give golfers room to play off of tee and give them the opportunity to recover from an errant or duffed drive. As such, the first hole should not be more than 400 yds. That said, you can still make the drive off of the first tee about positioning and reward the golfer who can find the ideal spot in the fairway for their approach. If nothing else, defend par at the green by closing off entry to it in the case of a hole that measures 375 yds. or shorter, but the second or even third shot (if the opening hole is a Par 5) on an opening hole is where the real challenge should lay.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Sean Ogle

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 11:33:38 PM »
Having just placed Riv and LACC, I've gotta admit I really like Thomas' strategy of having a shortish par 5 to start. As someone mentioned earlier, it gives you a chance to go for it and make a birdie, and when playing a match has a better chance for it to start off with a won hole.

Or in my case the opportunity to top one 100 yards into the rough as I did at Riviera...

jim_lewis

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 08:50:34 AM »
I am ok with a variety of starting holes, except. I hate openers that take the driver out of your hand. I have only seen a few, but they are among the worst starting holes I have seen. Pinehurst #8 is one close to home. Of course, you can hit a driver there if you can hook it around the dogleg. Otherwise, you can drive it right through the fairway into the trees. Hopefully they have changed it since the last time I played it several years ago.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

BCrosby

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »
Crusty -

The first at Ocean Forest is another opener that takes the driver out of your hands. Starting a round with a lay-up feels like a fudge. I share your dislike.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:04:05 AM by BCrosby »

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
I am ok with a variety of starting holes, except. I hate openers that take the driver out of your hand. I have only seen a few, but they are among the worst starting holes I have seen. Pinehurst #8 is one close to home. Of course, you can hit a driver there if you can hook it around the dogleg. Otherwise, you can drive it right through the fairway into the trees. Hopefully they have changed it since the last time I played it several years ago.

Jim:

What do you think of the first hole at the Old Course?

WW

James Brown

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2017, 08:03:47 PM »
There must be a reason(s) why the No. 1 hole is never the best hole on any course I've ever played or read about. Like Tim, I've played many an opening hole that much too clearly crossed over from gentle handshake to limp throwaway. I think that if architects *tried* to make the opening hole the very best one on the course, it would at least *end up* being the 7th or 9th best (given the demands/constraints of getting away from the clubhouse, and the inherently deep bias towards half par openings).

Machrihanish

jim_lewis

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »

Wade:

The first hole at the old course never took the driver out of my hand. That's the advantage of being a short knocker. However, I have been known to deliberately lay back to leave a full shot to the green.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

James Boon

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »
Wasn't it Nick Faldo that said he liked a tough / long par 4 opener as it benefits the guy who has taken the time to warm up properly?

I used to play at a course with a short par 5 opening hole and it could be a nightmare. While you could get away with a poor opening drive and still have a putt for birdie, the amount of time spent waiting for the green to clear for people who could hit the green in 2 was very frustrating. Worse was when I hit a good drive and would decide to have a go myself and you can feel the eyes of the guys on the tee behind you burning into the back of your head while you wait!  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Brad Tufts

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
I feel like around Boston the Golden Age openers are often either rather short par fours, or ball-busting long par fours.  There aren't many in the middle:

Long....Essex (430), Tedesco (430), Salem (members' #1 is 420), TCC (450), Charles River (425), Weston (430)

Short....Myopia (275), Brae Burn (310), Winchester (340), Wellesley (320)

Kernwood and Concord CC are the only old ones I can readily recall as opening with a par five...both on the short side lengthwise.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back