News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

Re: C'mon Man! Bunkers Edition
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »

Dragon and Fireball Bunker ... there's lots of examples for Stanley Thompson

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:41:12 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
... there's lots of examples for Stanley Thompson

Ian, and you posted a bunch of them a year or so ago that I can't find the thread reference for. Sod it!
Atb

JJShanley

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
Vaguely recall a phallic looking bunker at Loch Lomond from the period in which its hosted a European Tour event.

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
Lakewood Golf Club in New Orleans, LA used to host the PGA Tour event in that town.   Originally built in 1961 with a design by Robert Bruce Harris, Lakewood suffered some extensive damage during Hurricane Katrina and shut down for a few years before being purchased by the New Orleans Firefighters Pension Fund.   Ron Garl did an extensive renovation in 2009 which kept the routing of 9 of the original holes, a few other greensites, but for the most part it's a brand new design with features elevated somewhat above the floodplain.

I played there the last week of 2016 and took a few photos.   In tribute to the firemen and to New Orleans, Garl created some interesting symbolic bunkering and other features.

The first two picture are of the 18th.   I believe in season there is red sand in the "Fire in the Hole" bunkers that one faces on the tee and approach to the hole, with the fingers of the bunker representing flames lapping at the hole.

The next two show bunkers shaped like a Fleur de Lis, the symbol of New Orleans, and the Maltese Falcoln Medal.

Finally, some very artistic tree work.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »

Always wanted to do one shaped like a middle finger somewhere, but no client has had just the right sense of humor to let me do it.....

Probably not a good idea, all the great brains around here would just think it looks like a penis.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tom Allen

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
Interesting thread. Because (at least to me) some of these were kind of hidden, I wonder if Tom D. would be interested in adding some Easter Eggs to his designs (a la Disney in their videos).  Little teaks to a bunker edge here or there, maybe a rock on the edge of the property line, something, and voila, a reference to a prior design, or logo, or something else familiar.  Hidden until someone else notices it.  Maybe a hidden "D" everywhere? :)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »
Not sure if Geoffrey Cornish intended it, but the 17th hole at Hop Meadow CC (Simsbury, CT), where I grew up playing, has an arrow bunker:

Senior Writer, GolfPass

Brad Tufts

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »
I believe there is a hole at Kukio with the Hawaiian Island chain fronting a par three.  If I remember correctly, the Big Island, Oahu, and Maui were not too difficult-looking, but the smaller islands out towards Kauai looked pretty gnarly.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

James Brown

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
Not to be all serious on this thread, but I bet if the Church Pews were anywhere but Oakmont, they would probably be mocked here.

Jason Way

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »
Not to be all serious on this thread, but I bet if the Church Pews were anywhere but Oakmont, they would probably be mocked here.

I now realize that it's not a good idea to lead into a somewhat serious question with a dick joke.  Oh well.  Mental note for future reference.

Your thought did cross my mind though James.  Inadvertently hidden shapes aside, I am interested to know how often architects have an idea for a bunker that seems great in the thinking, but just doesn't work on the ground.  It seems to me that there is a fine line between artistry and contrived cheesiness once one begins to push the envelope a bit.  The Church Pews push that envelope, no doubt.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Thomas Dai

Peter Korbakes

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
There's also the 17th at Clemson's home track with the paw imprint

http://www.clemson.edu/madren/golf/tour.html#

Drew Groeger

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Mock away! I stumbled upon these at Lake Windsor Country Club in Wisconsin last summer. They were in the process of re-routing some holes and my guess is, while the equipment was out there, hey! lets put in some Church Pews!

These are on a long-ish par 4 if I recall, that doglegged right when I played it the first time but now the hole doglegs left-ish. These are on the outside of the new dogleg and I don't remember seeing them from the tee. So I really did "stumble" upon them. And my first words were "C'mon, Man!"

Tom Dunne

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
Did someone say "Church Pews"? This is the 18th at Al Maaden in Marrakech, a Kyle Phillips course with a number of features that I can only assume were created against the architect's will.   

Kirk Gill

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
The original bunkering at Stone Harbor Country Club, in all manner of bizarre shapes and locations, most of which are thankfully gone, would have easily made this list.

Jon, I'm surprised that you threw a "thankfully gone" in there, as I'd have loved for the original iteration of that course to have lasted long enough to be memorialized by one of your photo essays. Golf architecture based on symbolism ! Very different, indeed. I'm sure that it prompted a few "C'mon Man!" comments.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

David Davis

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
Here's a couple foot prints here locally at The Efteling Golf Course.

https://www.efteling.com/en/-/media/images/nieuw-golfpark/golfpark/1024x576-golfpark-bunkers.jpg

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
Here's a couple foot prints here locally at The Efteling Golf Course.
https://www.efteling.com/en/-/media/images/nieuw-golfpark/golfpark/1024x576-golfpark-bunkers.jpg
Given the direction the feet are pointing it might have been a wry touch if the designer/constructor had arranged them both such that the left foot was to the right of the fairway and the right foot was on the fairways left.
Atb
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:42:05 PM by Thomas Dai »

MCirba

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
Speaking of reproducing Church Pews, it's been done in the very same vicinity as Oakmont at nearby Quicksilver GC, which used to host a Senior PGA Tour event.   

I got to play Quicksilver a few years ago on the same day my good buddy Joe Bausch was playing the other course with Church Pews and believe it or not, he wasn't jealous in the least.   :D

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back