News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Question about sand and South Florida golf
« on: January 11, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
When I look at pictures or aerials of so many South Florida courses, a lot of them have a tremendous amount of sand or in many cases are lined/surrounded by sand: Bear's Club, Medalist, McArthur, Jupiter Hills, John's Island, Old Palm...

Is there actually that much sand in the ground there? Because it looks like they're all built out of marshes. Or is it just a stylistic thing they've all adopted and trucked in boatloads of sand from somewhere else to create the look?

Thanks.

Terry Lavin

Re: Question about sand and South Florida golf
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Every worthwhile question about Florida sand is addressed in hysterical fashion in Carl Hiaasen's new book "Razor Girl".
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
Matt--

There is a bona fide sand ridge that runs north to south through a sizable part of Florida, which means that a lot of the exposed sand on the courses you mention is native. Holes built directly on that structure (whose nature I believe has been discussed here a little bit in the past) drain quite well, such that such holes, even on public courses, tend to have non-continuous cart paths. I played a course called The Habitat (Bolly Horschel grew up playing there) once, whose back nine is built on the sand ridge, at the end of a month of torrential rains, and those holes were basically bone-dry.

Indeed, the county facility where I play golf here in Vero Beach (Indian River County) is called Sandridge Golf Club. This feature lends some intrigue to the terrain of a number of courses - even those pretty close to the coast - 'round these parts.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
Matt--
Of the courses you mention, I can only speak to Medalist and McArthur.  They are both next to each other, and both seemed to have a lot of natural sand.  It was more obvious at McArthur, which seems to sit on a ridge of the kind described by Tim. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back