News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Where architects would really like to build
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
Perhaps more a question for architects although any poster is obviously very welcome to join in.

Is there a piece of property somewhere that you consider 'perfect'? Somewhere where you would just love to build a course (or courses) but where permitting, environmental factors, logistics, ownership, politics etc etc etc means is unavailable?

Atb

Ryan Coles

Re: Where architects would really like to build
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
Land adjacent to: Pyle and Kenfig, Saunton and Hankley Common spring to mind.

Sam Krume

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
obviously not an archie but as you said any poster welcome to chime in. There is a wonderful stretch on the west coast of Ile de Re (just of the coast from La Rochelle)....some wonderful land along the Atlantic.Alas unfortunately I believe the island of Ile de Re is Unesco protected..would be a wonderful course though. Have walked it with a wedge hitting to imaginary targets..

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »
I would love to build a putting course along a pier on the lower westside of Manhattan, and another one in Central Park.

Neil White

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
Sean and I were discussing this on Sunday at Cleeve Cloud, where adjacent to the 4th hole lies a large area of old quarry works.
We both felt a short par-3 course could be woven between and over the humps and hollows.

Also, when I lived in Kirkby-in-Ashfield I often took the dog over Budby Heath just north of Sherwood Forest visitor's centre.  My understanding is that it once was used by the MOD for exercises - and may still be? - it is under the stewardship of Natural England.

Whilst looking for a photo I came across this video - bliss.......

https://vimeo.com/180659813

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:13 AM »
The dunes next to Sauton are a bit severe but it would be fun to see what could be done there.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
I still think Slovakia has some of the best land for golf. Pure sand with areas of pine and heather.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »
I agree that Slovakia has some wonderful terrain and soil for golf. I've been there six times and have yet to swing a club. It is getting to an economic place where it might be able to sustain some courses. I hope so.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
New York Central Park  :) ;)
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

David Wuthrich

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
The far eastern end of Long Island near Montauk.  Great land for a course.

Frank Pont

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
I still think Slovakia has some of the best land for golf. Pure sand with areas of pine and heather.

WOW!!!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
I might sound crazy

One perfect one for me as an architect and golf course designer is to build a 'floating golf course in the City of London like an organic cloud with elegant concrete columns supporting it hovering over the low rise buildings and part surrounding the iconic skyscrapers.

It would accommodate a public park with running tracks, cycle paths, open areas as well as a golf course with a sandy base over a concrete structural base. The views would be incredible and anything can be recreated artificially.

It might not to be to many peoples tastes but I like futuristic and forward thinking visions which are radical.

The course will also act as rainwater storage and cover to keep certain places dry.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
I would love to build a putting course along a pier on the lower westside of Manhattan, and another one in Central Park.

There are some cracking locations mentioned and photos posted. Thanks for the suggestions.

I really like this one from Jaegar. Not sure about in the US but in the UK there used to be putting greens in many a town/city park. Seems like not many are left. A great shame. More akin to the Himalayas or even a little brother version would be great.

Atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
The Gazos Beach State Park is on Highway 1 in California, about 2/3's of the way from San Francisco down to Santa Cruz. It contains one of the purest stretches of dunesland I have ever seen on the California coast. Being part of the state park system, a golf course will never be built there.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/maplocate.cgi?0,2013,164,0,328,0,37.147358,122.363078,0,0,14,92,161

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVilAq3ZYAygA.jknnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMDgyYjJiBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Gazos+Creek+State+Beach&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001#id=13&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnvlahides.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2008%2F05%2Fgazos-creek-state-beach.jpg&action=close
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:55:34 PM by David_Tepper »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »

There are some cracking locations mentioned and photos posted. Thanks for the suggestions.

I really like this one from Jaegar. Not sure about in the US but in the UK there used to be putting greens in many a town/city park. Seems like not many are left. A great shame. More akin to the Himalayas or even a little brother version would be great.

Atb

The pier rehab and public green spaces on the lower west side are already amazing. There is a mini golf facility run by the city for 5$!! It's awesome!... there is a driving range, Chelsea Piers, which has been around for a while, but ultra expensive. A putting course could take it to a new level... even something temporary before the Ryder cup down in Battery Park where all the players will catch a ferry would be brilliant!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:29:39 PM by Jaeger Kovich »

Rob Collins

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »

WOW!!!
^^ That's what I was going to say!
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back