News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

William_G

Re: Soundcloud: Tom Doak on Waialae with Danielle Tucker
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
fun stuff
It's all about the golf!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
Ms Tucker seems well prepped and knowledgeable as an interviewer.  I haven't listened to all of it yet (NFL is on) and the sound track is a bit distorted, but one of the better interviews I've heard.  What is Ms Tucker's background in golf, if any? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
She's a traffic and weather person in Hawaii and has been doing a golf show for 16 years.  She's been able to get all the movers and shakers to appear on her radio show when they are in Hawaii.

http://www.radiogolfclub.com/

It's a good interview and with Mark Rolfing participating I thought Tom was good.  

Waialae CC has potential to be a very unique course in Hawaii and I hope they give Tom the chance to implement the changes.  Bringing in some Raynor features would add 100% to the course.  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »
Waialae CC has potential to be a very unique course in Hawaii and I hope they give Tom the chance to implement the changes.  Bringing in some Raynor features would add 100% to the course.  

Actually there is quite a bit on the back nine (front nine for the tournament) that's original to Raynor's design -- like the greens of the Biarritz and Short holes.  And the 10th hole is a Road hole, though not one of Raynor's most interesting.  The work just doesn't stand out as obviously because the bunkers have sand part-way up the faces.  Doing something more in keeping with Raynor's style on the 15th green [which was moved to lengthen the hole] would also help.

William_G

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
I look forward to whatever architecture the club decides to implement and it sounds as though with some easier or less invasive initial renovation the club could whet it's appetite for the whole enchilada.

nice!
It's all about the golf!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
Below is a photo before the construction of the hotel and the re routing of the golf course.

There are glimpses of the bunkering and how unique it was especially the use of strip bunkers.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:47:13 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
I am bumping this because they have mentioned Tom doing some work on the 7th green (Short). IBF just said 17 used to be the Redan. I'm not sure I see 10 as a Road hole based on its current setup. Would be wonderful if they do indeed allow Tom to do some more extensive work as the announcers have suggested they might.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
Thought this might come up more given that the course is on TV this week. Any new thoughts or info?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
Last spring we did work at the 2nd hole [11th for the tournament].  Originally, it was an Eden hole playing along the ocean with the beach to the right; with the re-routing in the 1960's to make room for the Kahala Hotel, #1 and 9 were shifted inland, and #2 plays to the original green location, but straight out to sea instead of running alongside it.  We did our best to build an Eden-like hole with a front right bunker and a deep one along the left side, and a fair amount of back-to-front pitch to the green.  I don't know if it even made the telecast as I was traveling and didn't watch any of the event.

More work is planned for next month -- we are going to restore the Redan and also build a punchbowl-type green for #15.  I believe that #11 was originally the Punchbowl, but when they built a home alongside it they raised the green and surrounds significantly and added a lake to the left, so we didn't think that was an appropriate spot to try and restore it.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
Last spring we did work at the 2nd hole [11th for the tournament].

I don't know if it even made the telecast as I was traveling and didn't watch any of the event.

They did indeed mention it. I think it was Mark Rolfing that spoke glowingly of it, although it could have been Frank Nobilo — I forget. The hole location was directly behind the right bunker for the final round, of course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back