News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Is golf doing enough?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 05:23:22 PM »
This picnic scene from Madmen was our reality.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcKuMjvcCk

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 05:52:43 PM »
Even then John, it seemed they needed to legislate that.

In the 70s and 80s, I recall seeing many signs posted with huge fines for littering on highways or at parks.

Imagine if they tried such now?  It'd be non-stop outrage about  "Don't mess with my freedoms" ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 05:56:59 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »

In the 70s and 80s, I recall seeing many signs posted with huge fines for littering on highways or at parks.

Imagine if they tried such now?  It'd be non-stop banter about  "Don't mess with my freedoms" ;)

In the late 80's I was going to lunch with the Village Manager. We saw someone throw their lunch out the car window and called the police. I had to go to court to testify. They paid. Not enough to match the salaries of a couple of government officials, but it was fun.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »

Imagine if they tried such now?  It'd be non-stop banter about  "Don't mess with my freedoms" ;)

In the late 80's I was going to lunch with the Village Manager. We saw someone throw their lunch out the car window and called the police. I had to go to court to testify. They paid. Not enough to match the salaries of a couple of government officials, but it was fun.

Nice work John!

Did they convict the guy?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 06:27:23 PM »
I don't recall as we had just come off a three martini lunch.

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2021, 07:20:56 PM »
So many smaller courses are doing plenty out of necessity however the associations getting involved will make it where ti will cost more to do less for the higher budget courses...boards at private clubs and supts needing to maintain an image for the next job may make it difficult for high budgets to do so.  Edges are the first lace to start...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
 8)  Don't panic if its organic... and small is beautiful mottos are probably enough to guide real practical efforts

Some 40 years ago, Gro Harlem Brundtland (first female PM of Norway) championed the broad political concept of sustainable developmentThe Bruntland Commission published reports and communications and promoted Agenda 21.  One would have thought that more would have been accomplished in the last 4 decades other than a lot of talk and simple water conservation projects, but that's politics.  Regulation for golf would be too heavy handed I'm sure, no offense to the lawyers and administrators, but let winners be the naturals who actually accomplish something on their own, not the game players.

Do we really need to threaten repurposing 2 million acres of the USA golfing universe or just 5 acres in the back yard at course to do more?  Sounds like a lot of land but its really a tiny percentage of USA acreage (100% x 2000000/2430000000 acres in USA = 0.08%).     

4mm of evapotranspiration per day (5/32 of an inch) seems like a pretty small thing to offset in a water balance for prime acreage...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2021, 05:54:16 AM »
So many smaller courses are doing plenty out of necessity however the associations getting involved will make it where ti will cost more to do less for the higher budget courses...boards at private clubs and supts needing to maintain an image for the next job may make it difficult for high budgets to do so.  Edges are the first lace to start...

Mike,
[/size]  Bigger budgeted golf courses seem to be held to a higher standard when it comes to OSHA, Dept of Ag, pesticide licensing... Why? Probably because they have the finances to do things properly & are a bigger target. Clubs are required to toe the line more often & aren't overlooked like some of the small clubs tend to because, well....maybe they don't have the finances to follow codes perfectly.
[/size]  I will also say that bigger budgeted clubs tend to be the fist to dive into more cutting edge, future cost saving ways of management. Bigger budgeted clubs tend to be the first to dive into battery powered equipment, autonomous machines & can afford better reels, better bedknives, more preventative maintenance, solar operated shops to name a few.   While I don't think that the technology is there yet for many of the companies pushing batter power machines, its going that way...and with significant cost. Is a smaller budget club going to spent $10k more for an electric triplex? I have my thoughts. Are they going to spend $750 for a battery powered blower w/ 2 batteries or a gas one that's $350? Are smaller clubs going to spend 6 figures to install solar power at the GCM building with ROI of 10 years?
[/font]
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back