News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

For those who have WFW as least interesting, y'all are nuts! Those green contours are absolutely world class should be studied by anyone interested in golf architecture.

+1--and the rest of the golf course ain't too shabby either.

Mike Bodo

I have to say it:

Anybody not adding ANGC to the most interested in playing and that has not already played there, is either trying to be a snob or in my opinion beeing a little foolish.

I agree 100%. However, the courses I selected as wanting to play are those I either could get on because they are public or private courses I could get on with a little help from my friends (cue in the Beatles song). I don't see myself as ever being able to play ANGC unless I network with the right people. That said, I would probably pee my pants if I received an invite to play the course.  ;D  Heck, I would be happy to get tickets to watch The Masters.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

MClutterbuck

I have to say it:

Anybody not adding ANGC to the most interested in playing and that has not already played there, is either trying to be a snob or in my opinion beeing a little foolish.

;D  Heck, I would be happy to get tickets to watch The Masters.

Either by getting lucky on the lot, or by buying tickets for a Monday that is not as expensive, visiting ANGC for The Masters is a spectacular experience.

Joe_Tucholski

Top 10 I'm not interested in seeing...none!  I'd jump at the chance for the privilege to play any of these courses with the right group of people.

Mac you could say you'd jump at the chance for the privilege of playing any of these courses, and that's a very diplomatic response that I also believe to be the truth, given the right circumstances, but you know there are some courses you'd elect to play ahead of the others.  I listed my favorite course as a course I am least interested in seeing.

As stated if given the privilege of an invitation to play Pine Valley, Augusta National, Cypress Point, Shinnecock Hills, Oakmont, Merion, Pebble Beach, National Golf Links of America, Sand Hills or Winged Foot with only the opportunity to play one I'd choose Cypress.

If I were to take Cypress out of the mix I'd choose Augusta National...so on down the list removing the course I previously choose from my options I'm left with Pebble as the course I'd be least interested in seeing.  As I said Pebble is my favorite course, but I've played it a number of times and have never played any of the others.

This is basically an exercise in reordering the list based on personal preference in groups of 10.

No right or wrong answer.

I thought it was an interesting exercise because the act of doing it provided some insight I wasn't aware of when simply looking at a list of 100 courses.
I guess that depends on your definition of foolish.  If by foolish you mean having different preferences and past experiences than you, I'll admit to being foolish.

For those who have WFW as least interesting, y'all are nuts! Those green contours are absolutely world class should be studied by anyone interested in golf architecture.

See above response to Mac.  Having WFW listed as the course they are least interested in seeing/playing doesn't necessarily mean people think it's the least interesting course in the group.

I understand it's tough for some to make statements on things they love that could potentially be inferred as negative, but as Ken stated "This is like an exercise of which model do you want to date."  That being said at the bottom of the list it was a harder for me to figure out which course I was most interested in seeing while a number competed for least interested in seeing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:32:02 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Sean_A

I have to say it:

No question for me that I am more interested in playing NGLA over Augusta.  Maybe I am a snob and foolish  ::) That said, Augusta is the only course that if I received an invite I would move heaven and earth to make it happen, but that is because I know that if I am ever lucky enough to get an invite, it will most probably be my only shot. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

jeffwarne

I have to say it:

No question for me that I am more interested in playing NGLA over Augusta.  Maybe I am a snob and foolish  ::) That said, Augusta is the only course that if I received an invite I would move heaven and earth to make it happen, but that is because I know that if I am ever lucky enough to get an invite, it will most probably be my only shot. 

Ciao

That's spot on.

Just because someone is "more interested" in seeing a course doesn't mean they won't perhaps work much harder to take advantage of a rare opportunity such as Augusta (which they may be at least be familiar with vis live Masters visits or TV)

Also, there's a lot wondering how anyone could be "least interested" in certain or any courses in the Top 100.
If someone's already played a course in the Top 10 they are less likely to be "most interested" in playing that one than another great they have not played-and probably should note that in their response.(I've edited mine)

For instance, I've played Winged Foot West twice several times and seen it during an Open(and it's one of many courses in it's genre(parkland) in the northeast-----Ive not been to Sand Hills, which is one of very few in its genre(sand hills)

Picking a course out of the Top 10 you're "least interested" in is nearly impossible, but I would think ANGC would be many people's "least interested" course as they would already have seen it as opposed to some others.
And Jaegar, give your knowledge of Winged Foot, I would think that would be the one you are "least interested" in seeing compared to the rest (if you haven't seen them all)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:24:02 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ken Fry

Spot on guys.  I took this exercise as a test within the groups.  Take courses listed 1-10, which do you really want to see and which are you ok missing within that group.  Am I passing on an invitation to play ANY of them?  Heck no!  I've never analyzed the listing this way.

As Joe stated, no one really knows what courses each individual has already played or visited.  It might explain why within certain groups courses are listed as they are but that would be a lot of information to include in each list.  In group 11-20, Crystal Downs is my favorite golf course but I've played it a number of times.  I want to see something new, hence my choice of Friar's Head.

When it's all said and done, this list is just like all the others:  a fun exercise in personal opinion that sparks some conversation.

Ken

Jaeger Kovich

I have to say it:

Ciao

Picking a course out of the Top 10 you're "least interested" in is nearly impossible, but I would think ANGC would be many people's "least interested" course as they would already have seen it as opposed to some others.
And Jaegar, give your knowledge of Winged Foot, I would think that would be the one you are "least interested" in seeing compared to the rest (if you haven't seen them all)

Jeff, Kinda feel the opposite, but thats what makes the world go round I suppose!

I think more people are interested in Augusta because they have seen it on tv and the tournament it hosts. They are drawn in by the beauty, and by watching the ball trickle across the super fast heavily contoured greens for what feels like ages before it comes to rest. I would think the fact that the masters is one of the hardest tickets in sports would support the theory of being able to see, but not touch makes things more interesting in this set up... That being said I wont tell you that I turned down a ticket to last years Tuesday practice round!!!  ;D  but there were some other factors!

As for WFW, I have walked it a few times, caddied in the Anderson, and played it. Before I played it this summer I was sending my playing partners text message pics of the green sketches from an old PGA Championship yardage book at like 4am. I thought my level of excitement and interest was normal! ??? [/size]Those green contours will never tire for me, although they would not be in my 10 most interested in seeing, it will never be anywhere close to the 10 least interested in seeing. The sever contours there are simply world class, I will always jump at the chance to roll balls around the first green on the west course with a smile on my face!... Don't undersell the genius that created a brilliantly routed pair of intertwining world class golf courses on a property with little room to spare. Not only that, but factor in they way they scrapped basically every inch of soil off the bed rock in many places to do it. There are so many interesting things going on, if you just see another really good parkland golf course with elevated greens...! [size=78%] :o

Mike Bodo

I have to say it:

Either by getting lucky on the lot, or by buying tickets for a Monday that is not as expensive, visiting ANGC for The Masters is a spectacular experience.
Out of curiosity, how much would tickets for a Monday practice round cost and how readily are they available? Also, is there any chance of obtaining credentials to attend a tournament round via a Stub Hub type service or is that completely frowned against by the tournament organizers?

jeffwarne

I have to say it:

Out of curiosity, how much would tickets for a Monday practice round cost and how readily are they available? Also, is there any chance of obtaining credentials to attend a tournament round via a Stub Hub type service or is that completely frowned against by the tournament organizers?

Mike
First of all there's a lottery for practice round tickets that is decently winnable.
Second, scalping is legal in Georgia and the tickets are buyable (though if a caught by ANGC-the seller loses tix)
Ticket brokers have these tix

Monday is easiest day and will run $100-300 (I could be wrong)
I know Ticket brokers are paying $4500 wholesale for this year's 4 day tournament tix so a scalped one is probaly $5-7000
One day tix run $1500-3000
all guesses as I haven't looked lately and Tiger is now playing
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Bodo

Mike
First of all there's a lottery for practice round tickets that is decently winnable.
Second, scalping is legal in Georgia and the tickets are buyable (though if a caught by ANGC-the seller loses tix)

I know Ticket brokers are paying $4500 wholesale for this year's 4 day tournament tix so a scalped one is probaly $5-7000
Thanks, Jeff! I think I'd take my chance on Monday, but I'd also love to watch the Par 3 tourney on Wednesday as well. I'm going to check some ticket brokerage sites that I've purchased PGA Championship and U.S. Open tickets from to see what, if anything, can be found on the Masters for the various days.

Jeff Shelman

Here are my choices:

Most interested in seeing. Some of these are influenced by what I have already seen.

1-10: NGLA
11-20: Chicago
21-30: Prairie Dunes
31-40: The Golf Club
41-50: Garden City
51-60: Camargo
61-70: Shoreacres
71-80: Milwaukee
81-90: Yeamans Hall
91-100: Essex

Least interested in playing
1-10: Pebble Beach
11-20: This is the hardest one. Would probably say Oak Hill East, but I am interested in seeing it
21-30: Whistling Straits
31-40: Honors. This is another hard one as I'd gladly play all of these
41-50: Spyglass
51-60: TPC Sawgrass
61-70: Canyata
71-80: Estancia
81-90: Rich Harvest Links
91-100: Eagle Point

jeffwarne

I have to say it:

Ciao

Jeff, Kinda feel the opposite, but thats what makes the world go round I suppose!

I think more people are interested in Augusta because they have seen it on tv and the tournament it hosts. They are drawn in by the beauty, and by watching the ball trickle across the super fast heavily contoured greens for what feels like ages before it comes to rest. I would think the fact that the masters is one of the hardest tickets in sports would support the theory of being able to see, but not touch makes things more interesting in this set up... That being said I wont tell you that I turned down a ticket to last years Tuesday practice round!!!  ;D  but there were some other factors!

As for WFW, I have walked it a few times, caddied in the Anderson, and played it. Before I played it this summer I was sending my playing partners text message pics of the green sketches from an old PGA Championship yardage book at like 4am. I thought my level of excitement and interest was normal! ??? Those green contours will never tire for me, although they would not be in my 10 most interested in seeing, it will never be anywhere close to the 10 least interested in seeing. The sever contours there are simply world class, I will always jump at the chance to roll balls around the first green on the west course with a smile on my face!... Don't undersell the genius that created a brilliantly routed pair of intertwining world class golf courses on a property with little room to spare. Not only that, but factor in they way they scrapped basically every inch of soil off the bed rock in many places to do it. There are so many interesting things going on, if you just see another really good parkland golf course with elevated greens...! [size=78%] :o
[/size]
[size=78%]

Well Jaeger,
For most people, I kind've think you're right about ANGC....but I'm a homer

re: Winged Foot
The question was which course out of 1-10 is the one you want to see least? (not which one is least interesting)
So which one is it for you?
and which one do you want to see Most in 1-10?[/size]

Sean_A

The question was which course out of 1-10 is the one you want to see least? (not which one is least interesting)

Cha ching. I don't recall the top 10, but I doubt there is one on the list I have no interest in seeing.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:42:26 AM by Sean_A »

Jaeger Kovich

I have to say it:

Ciao

As for WFW, I have walked it a few times, caddied in the Anderson, and played it. Before I played it this summer I was sending my playing partners text message pics of the green sketches from an old PGA Championship yardage book at like 4am. I thought my level of excitement and interest was normal! ??? Those green contours will never tire for me, although they would not be in my 10 most interested in seeing, it will never be anywhere close to the 10 least interested in seeing. The sever contours there are simply world class, I will always jump at the chance to roll balls around the first green on the west course with a smile on my face!... Don't undersell the genius that created a brilliantly routed pair of intertwining world class golf courses on a property with little room to spare. Not only that, but factor in they way they scrapped basically every inch of soil off the bed rock in many places to do it. There are so many interesting things going on, if you just see another really good parkland golf course with elevated greens...! [size=78%] :o
[/size]
[size=78%]

Well Jaeger,
For most people, I kind've think you're right about ANGC....but I'm a homer

re: Winged Foot
So which one is it for you?
and which one do you want to see Most in 1-10?[/size]

Pebble is the one I would select as "want to see least". I walked it and played it on back to back days this summer. I'm really glad I played, against the advice of many, but I don't need to bother with that 6 hour experience again anytime soon... Love to go back to Monterey though ;D !... Augusta is one of 2 of the top 10 I haven't seen, PV the other would be the one I want to see the most.
[/size]

Mac Plumart

Top 10 I'm not interested in seeing...none!  I'd jump at the chance for the privilege to play any of these courses with the right group of people.

Mac you could say you'd jump at the chance for the privilege of playing any of these courses, and that's a very diplomatic response that I also believe to be the truth, given the right circumstances, but you know there are some courses you'd elect to play ahead of the others.  I listed my favorite course as a course I am least interested in seeing.

Right, Joe.  That is why I did put my list of 10 I'd like to see the most.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

MClutterbuck

I have to say it:

Ciao

Sean and Joe, the list of most interested included 10 courses. I can understand someone putting NGLA, Shinnecock or CPC above ANGC. I can not understand someone putting 10 courses above ANGC.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:18:01 PM by MClutterbuck »

MClutterbuck

Mike

Thanks, Jeff! I think I'd take my chance on Monday, but I'd also love to watch the Par 3 tourney on Wednesday as well. I'm going to check some ticket brokerage sites that I've purchased PGA Championship and U.S. Open tickets from to see what, if anything, can be found on the Masters for the various days.

Wednesday would be the least favorite day for me if I had to go just one day. The par 3 tournament is ok, but there is not much golf to be seen on the real course as it shuts down in the pm.

Joe_Tucholski

Sean and Joe, the list of most interested included 10 courses. I can understand someone putting NGLA, Shinnecock or CPC above ANGC. I can not understand someone putting 10 courses above ANGC.

Gottcha.  I think there is a bit of miscommunication.  The task was to pick the course you are most/least interested in seeing from the GD top 10.  Then the course you are most/least interested in seeing from the courses ranked 11-20, then from 21-30 and so forth.
[/size]
[/size]*Edited to increase size of text.  Ironically the only readable text was the word miscommunication when the font was size 0.5.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:35:53 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Matthew Petersen

Most:

1-10: Augusta (Been there for the tournament, but the chance to putt this greens and hit those shots, whoa)
11-20: Crystal Dunes
21-30: LACC North
31-40: The Golf Club
41-50: Castle Pines (Grew up going to the tournament there)
51-60: Pete Dye GC
61-70: Monterey Peninsula (Shore)
71-80: Valley Club of Montecito
81-90: Boston GC
91-100: Blackwolf Run

Least:

1-10: Pebble (Only one I have played already)

11-20: Muirfield Village
21-30: Alotian
31-40: Baltusrol
41-50: Spyglass (as with PB, played it before)
51-60: Dallas National
61-70: Spring Hill
71-80: Congressional
81-90: Diamond Creek
91-100: Flint Hills

Sean_A

I have to say it:

Ciao

I took it that we were meant to select one each from 1-10, 11-20 etc...no?

Ciao

Peter Pratt

Most interested in playing:

1-10     Cypress Point
11-20   Friar's Head
21-30   LA CC
31-40   SF GC
41-50   Ballyneal
51-60   Camargo
61-70   Shoreacres
71-80   Valley Club
81-90   Inverness (have played Yeamans)
91-100 Essex

Least eager to play:

1-10     Pebble Beach (have played it)
11-20   Oak Hill
21-30   Alotian
31-40   Pikewood National
41-50   Butler National
51-60   Oak Tree National
61-70   Canyata
71-80   Congressional (have played it)
81-90   Rich Harvest
91-100 Sahalee

MClutterbuck

I have to say it:

Ciao

I took it that we were meant to select one each from 1-10, 11-20 etc...no?

Ciao

My mistake then...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back