News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

When looking at the top 100 list there were a number of courses I wasn't all that interested in seeing.  Obviously there are more courses at the bottom of the list that I'm not interested in seeing.  So by groups of 10, what course are you least interested in playing and which one are you most interested in playing. 

I know this is a bit of a meaningless exercise but that's kind of what I see the lists as, a way to generate relatively useless debate about things we're unreasonably passionate about. 

(I also understand the lists may have real life implications on some)

Here's my list:

Most interested in playing:
1-10 - Cypress
11-20 - Chicago
21-30 - LACC
31-40 - Bandon Dunes
41-50 - Ballyneal
51-60 - Camargo
61-70 - Kittansett
71-80 - Milwaukee
81-90 - Inverness
91-100 - Essex

Least interested in playing:

1-10 - Pebble Beach (I should note this is my favorite course)
11-20 - Oak Hill
21-30 - Whistling Straits
31-40 - Pikewood
41-50 - Castle Pines
51-60 - Dallas National
61-70 - Canyata
71-80 - Estancia
81-90 - The Quarry
91-100 - Mayacama

Putting down my choices it was pretty clear exclusivity bumps up my desire to see a course, and like I said earlier there are a lot more courses I have little interest in seeing than courses I have a strong desire to see.

Tom_Doak

There are 13 that I haven't seen, and only three of those that I'm really much interested in seeing:  Gozzer Ranch, Whispering Pines, and Boston Golf Club.

Paul Rudovsky

very interesting question...but influenced by what one has played before, how recently, and how many times.  For example, I have played all 100 but some I have not played in a long time or only played 1x...so are you asking based on personal history...or simply what you know and or have heard about the courses?

Greg Gilson

There are 13 that I haven't seen, and only three of those that I'm really much interested in seeing:  Gozzer Ranch, Whispering Pines, and Boston Golf Club.

Tom, So that means there are 10 courses in this list that you have not seen....and that do not really interest you. Pointless question but , out of interest,:

Greg Gilson

Tom, So that means there are 10 courses in this list that you have not seen....and that do not really interest you. Pointless question but , out of interest, what are they? (and, if you have time, why not?).

Tom_Doak

Tom, So that means there are 10 courses in this list that you have not seen....and that do not really interest you. Pointless question but , out of interest, what are they? (and, if you have time, why not?).

Greg:

It doesn't mean anything to me to check off the whole list.  There are tons of courses that I still want to see all around the world.  Yesterday I remarked that I'd like to see Knole Park in England, even though that volume of  The Confidential Guide is already behind me ... let's just say I'm more intrigued by Abercromby's work there, than by Tom Fazio's work at Eagle Point in Wilmington, NC, or whichever others were in the GOLF DIGEST top 100 that I feel pretty sure I wouldn't agree with.

Sean_A

Most interested on left, least on right

1-10: NGLA....Pebble

11-20: Fishers....Oak Hill

21-30: LACC North....Shadow Creek

31-40: Pinehurst....Baltusrol Lower

41-50: Old Mac....Butler National

51-60: Ballyneal....Dallas National

61-70: Shoreacres....Spring Hill

71-80: Valley Club....Congressional

81-90: Boston....Valhalla

91-100: Essex....Sahalee

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:54:32 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Greg Gilson

Thanks Tom. Understood.

Jim Tang

Most:

1-10  Cypress Point
11-20  Crystal Downs
21-30  Riviera
31-40  San Francisco
41-50  Sebonack
51-60  Old Sandwich
61-70  Kittansett
71-80  Valley Club
81-90  Boston
90-100  Calusa Pines

Least

1-10  Winged Foot
11-20  Muirfield Village
21-30  Shadow Creek
31-40  Southern Hills
41-50  Spyglass Hill
51-60  Whispering Pines
61-70  Canyata
71-80  Olympia Fields
81-90  The Golf Club at Black Rock
91-100  Sahalee

jeffwarne

Not much of a list guy but...

made it through 1-30 before my eyes glazed over

Most                        Least

1-10
Sand Hills(not seen)..........Winged Foot(have played it several times and while one of the best Parklands in the world, parkland is a genre that's familiar in the northeast)-not exactly easy to pick a Top 10 course one is "least interested" in seeing

11-20
Crystal Downs(not seen).........Oakland Hills(not seen except on TV)

21-30
LACC North(not seen)...........5-6 way tie
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:19:11 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ruediger Meyer

1-10  Cypress Point
11-20  Friar's Head
21-30  Pinehurst #2
31-40  The Olympic Club
41-50  Old MacDonald
51-60  Scioto
61-70  Arcadia Bluffs
71-80  Milwaukee C.C.
81-90  Boston
90-100  Calusa Pines

Least

1-10  Merion
11-20  Muirfield Village
21-30  The Ocean Course
31-40  The Golf Club
41-50  Castle Pines
51-60  Sawgrass
61-70  Winged Foot East
71-80  Maidstone Club
81-90  Rich Harvest Links
91-100  Sahalee

Bill McKinley

Nice topic here.  My votes

Most
1-10: Cypress
11-20: Played them all, would love to go back to Fishers again
21-30: Praire Dunes
31-40: San Francisco
41-50: Garden City
51-60: Old Sandwich
61-70: MPCC Shore
71-80: Valley Club
81-90: Boston GC
91-100: Essex CC

Least
1-10: Winged Foot West
11-20: Played them all, Oak Hill would be least likely to go back
21-30: Shadow Creek
31-40: Southern Hills
41-50: Victoria National
51-60: Oak Tree National
61-70: Spring Hill GC
71-80: Estancia
81-90: Valhalla
91-100: Sahalee
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Mike Hendren

For some reason I can't get worked up over Pine Valley, Augusta National Golf Club and Merion. I don't have the game for PV and after being on site multiple days for championships on the latter two, playing them would only ruin my extremely fond memory and opinion.

As for most interested, I could work my way through Golfweek's Second Hundred Classics.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe_Tucholski

very interesting question...but influenced by what one has played before, how recently, and how many times.  For example, I have played all 100 but some I have not played in a long time or only played 1x...so are you asking based on personal history...or simply what you know and or have heard about the courses?

Paul I guess I was asking based on personal history..what I'd be most interested in playing if given an invite to all 10 at the same time.  The least interested is the course I'd go see if the other 9 options were not present.  I've played less than half but I did have a replay on my most interested in seeing list.

Not much of a list guy but...

made it through 1-30 before my eyes glazed over

Most                        Least

1-10
Sand Hills..........Winged Foot

11-20
Crystal Downs......Oakland Hills

21-30
LACC North...........5-6 way tie

Jeff you gave up when it got interesting and tough.  The 21-30 stuck out as a group.  For the position I thought the courses were disproportionately uninteresting.  It makes sense that the 91-100 would have a fair number of least interesting contenders but not the 21-30.

Edited to change font size[/size]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:15:44 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Ronald Montesano

GD Top 100 for 2017
                 MOST                              LEAST
1-10          Winged Foot West             Augusta
11-20         Seminole/Friar's (TIE)       Oak Hill
21-30         Gozzer                             Ocean
31-40         The Golf Club                    Baltusrol
41-50         Ballyneal                           Medinah
51-60         Interlachen                       Oak Tree
61-70         MPCC Shore                      Baltusrol
71-80         Aronimink                         Estancia
81-90         Yeamans                           Diamond Creek
91-100       Crooked Stick                    The Preserve
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

Top 10 I'd like to see for the first time...

Pikewood National
Rich Harvest
Bethpage Black
Merion East
Winged Foot (both)
Gozzer Ranch
LACC North
Interlachen
Oakland Hills

Top 10 I'm not interested in seeing...none!  I'd jump at the chance for the privilege to play any of these courses with the right group of people.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ken Fry

This is like an exercise of "which model do you want to date."

Most interested in playing:
1-10 - Pine Valley
11-20 - Friar's Head
21-30 - Prairie Dunes
31-40 - San Francisco
41-50 - Old MacDonald
51-60 - Interlachen
61-70 - Kittansett Club
71-80 - Maidstone
81-90 - Yeamans Hall
91-100 - Laurel Valley

Least interested in playing:

1-10 - Winged Foot West
11-20 - Oak Hill
21-30 -
Alotian Club
31-40 - Olympic
41-50 - Butler
51-60 - Dallas National
61-70 - Spring Hill
71-80 - Estancia
81-90 - Rich Harvest
91-100 - Sahalee

Tommy Williamsen

I used to tell my congregation, "Be careful what you label right and wrong and good and bad because the wrong and bad tend to come and bite you on the butt." I find it interesting to see people's "least interested" list. Some of them were on my list---until I played them and discovered I was prejudiced without good reason. I think you should play the least interested courses first and see what you think of them afterward.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Bodo

Here's my list and I'm going to cheat a little, as some of my courses on my "most interested" list aren't in the Top 100. But I don't care.

Most Interested in Playing
1. Holston Hills
2. Greywalls
3. Bandon Dunes (all 4 courses)
4. French Lick Resort (Ross and Dye)
5. Whistling Straights
6. Mid-Pines
7. Seminole
8. Oakmont
9. Lost Dunes
10. Interlachen

Least Interested in Playing
1. Pinehurst No. 2
2. Pebble Beach
3. Sahalee
4. Winged Foot
5. Olympic
6. Southern Hills
7. Dallas National
8. Baltusrol
9. LACC
10. TPC Sawgrass
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Sean_A

I used to tell my congregation, "Be careful what you label right and wrong and good and bad because the wrong and bad tend to come and bite you on the butt." I find it interesting to see people's "least interested" list. Some of them were on my list---until I played them and discovered I was prejudiced without good reason. I think you should play the least interested courses first and see what you think of them afterward.

Tommy

I think you should pay my way to do what you want me to do  :D  Time and money are not in endless supply.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Kyle Harris

Bingo.

This is exactly why I am shocked so many people list Sahalee on their "Least Interested" portion. I think the place is special because of the trees. It may be a good example of how that sort of thing could be fun.

Essex CC? I've played some very interesting Ross courses. I'd love to see another one, but...
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

jeffwarne

Bingo.

This is exactly why I am shocked so many people list Sahalee on their "Least Interested" portion. I think the place is special because of the trees. It may be a good example of how that sort of thing could be fun.

Essex CC? I've played some very interesting Ross courses. I'd love to see another one, but...

Kyle, If I were you I'd add one more to the list.... ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MClutterbuck

I have to say it:

Anybody not adding ANGC to the most interested in playing and that has not already played there, is either trying to be a snob or in my opinion beeing a little foolish.

We can all disagree on multiple fronts about the evolution of the ANGC course, but it remains a fantastic golfing experience for all levels. One of the very best.

Jaeger Kovich

For those who have WFW as least interesting, y'all are nuts! Those green contours are absolutely world class should be studied by anyone interested in golf architecture.

BCowan

10 Most interested in, don't care if they are not on list

Shinny
Prairie Dunes
Milwaukee
Yale
Glens Falls
Kittansett
Lawsonia
Engineers
St Georges GCC
Wannamoisett
Bonus- Goat Hill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back