News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2017, 05:21:20 AM »
A not so gentle reminder to get those pesky first round games played.  If we're going to get a winner by the end of the year we do need to keep things moving.  Even though it's only March if we don't get the first round completed in the next three or four weeks then we'll be playing catch up for the whole summer.

James and I are playing next Sunday and after much digging around for a venue I have ended up conceding home advantage.  I know there's a second round match being played at Silloth tomorrow.  Any other games lined up?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2017, 06:24:20 AM »
Tony and I are playing at Gog Magog tomorrow.

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
Excellent.  Have you played there before?  I'll be interested to hear what you make of it as a couple of my new partners are members there.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
  I know there's a second round match being played at Silloth tomorrow.  Any other games lined up?

Andy Stamm and I are all set to play on the Jubilee a week on Wednesday. New course for me so I'm looking forward to that.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
Mark and I are playing at Kington on 26th March.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2017, 05:07:20 AM »
Tony and I are playing at Gog Magog tomorrow.

Adam

I have played both the Old which still has some of its Willie Park jr holes and the Wandlebury designed by Hawtree.

The old is short but challenging and is used for the Lagonda Trophy a top amateur strokeplay event.

Enjoy your round!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
Well I met up with Sancho Muldoon at Gogs and we had a fun round on a beautiful early spring afternoon.

The so-called fourteen handicap Sancho was three over par gross after twelve holes, and unsurprisingly five up. He finally closed me out with a cheery ARRIBA on the fourteenth green, five and four.

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
Well I met up with Sancho Muldoon at Gogs and we had a fun round on a beautiful early spring afternoon.

The so-called fourteen handicap Sancho was three over par gross after twelve holes, and unsurprisingly five up. He finally closed me out with a cheery ARRIBA on the fourteenth green, five and four.
I may have to call an emergency meeting of the handicap committee in advance of the next round. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2017, 06:02:03 PM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:30:49 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »
Just got home from a fabulous day at Silloth with Niall Carlton, Marty Bonnar, and my mate Adam Stott.

We played a warm-up 12 holes this morning followed by an excellent lunch. With some difficulty we dragged ourselves back to the tee for the match proper at 1.30.

The lunch took its toll on all of us, particularly the Sassanach contingent. After a bogey-free morning, +4 handicapper Adam dropped 4 shots in the first three holes and I quickly went 3 down in my match against Niall.

Adam bounced back well, with a string of birdies in the gathering wind, and I steadied the ship, avoiding going further behind but without making inroads on a very steady Niall.

The game changer was the long, very difficult 13th, played into the teeth of a gale.

My so-called mate Adam advised me that I might consider laying up with my second shot as threading a ball up the hill through the narrow gap in the heather could prove a challenge too far. As I was receiving a shot on the hole I heeded the advice and promptly hooked a five iron into a gorse bush. My provisional 3-wood of course, was duly dispatched with pin-point accuracy directly up onto the top level fairway 50 yards short of the hogs-back green.

Thank you Adam!  :)

So we arrived at the 14th tee with Niall 4 up.

Deciding that I had lured Niall sufficiently into a false sense of security I quickly won the next two holes, followed by a half on the short 16th.

Just as I was sensing that the momentum was swinging my way however, Niall produced a fabulous pitch to the 17th green, leaving himself a five-footer for a birdie. My par was not good enough as Niall drained the putt to win 3 and 1.

Adam was pleased to finish level par for 30 holes. Six worse than his handicap!

Marty was terrific company.

Well done Niall, and thanks to all for a wonderful day out at my new favourite golf course.

Adam and I can't wait for the rematch at Glasgow Gailes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:42:45 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:33:28 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
Mark,

I have just received an email from Greg T who is my opponent for the first round. Unfortunately due to work and family commitments over the next few months Greg could not find a date to play and has given me a W/O to the next round.

Hello Doc! hope your putter is not on fire by the time we meet and play our round!

Cheers
Ben

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
Alright then Ben!

I'm a bit tied up for a few weeks, so it's going to be May in all probability before we get it on.

With you in Oakham and me in Fleet, we're looking in that M40 - M1 - M11 corridor for a decent mid way venue. Let me throw the following ideas into the pot.

Berkhamsted, Ashridge, Tadmarton Heath. Maybe even Royal Worlington? Wouldn't mind copying Adam and Tony and playing Gog Magog. I designed a few holes on their new course, but have never played them.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Paul Dolton

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
Philip and I are playing on the 26th March at Huntercombe .

Rich Goodale

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to playing a grudge match with Dr. Hiseman in the finals in September at Painswick.....

....assuming, of course, that I blag my way through the massively talented upper bracket.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:45:53 AM by Michael Whitaker »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2017, 05:43:19 AM »
I'm looking forward to playing a grudge match with Dr. Hiseman in the finals in September at Painswick.....

....assuming, of course, that I blag my way through the massively talented upper bracket.....

Rich
Likewise! My plan is to play Ben on a short, tight, gorse lined track with lots of chances for him to blaze it into the furze. Oh wait...did I say that out loud?
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Ben Stephens

« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:07 AM »

Rich
Likewise! My plan is to play Ben on a short, tight, gorse lined track with lots of chances for him to blaze it into the furze. Oh wait...did I say that out loud?

Guys

Looks like Doc and I have agreed to play the Sacred Nine sometime in May. Looking forward to it already!

Cheers
Ben

Matt Dawson

« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »

Rich

Guys

Looks like Doc and I have agreed to play the Sacred Nine sometime in May. Looking forward to it already!

Cheers
Ben

Ben - might be able to help you & Robin out. Will send you a PM

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
A dreich day for a first round match against David Macintosh at Pitreavie yesterday.  Giving nine shots, a tight match in which I needed to shoot 71 to beat a very steady David on the last - 2up.

A soft and shortened yellow/winter course with two temporary greens (on ten and eleven) wasn't ideal for playing, but enough to get a flavour of MacKenzie's early genius...

After a pair of fives to start, the routing centres on the "North Wood", with holes playing in and out of three side-by-side greens.

A side-profile of the par three third green gives an idea of the handful of 'MacKenzie's' - they've got to be plenty of fun (and difficult) in firmer conditions:

The seventh is a three tiered affair!

Where held back-up against a downslope, the fall-away greens offer a little more variety and craft. The fourth angles across the slope, twisting back-up to its left corner:

The drivable ninth, blind beyond an intimidating carry, narrows towards this promontory-like green; the cool shoulder at the front-right is pinned (!):

Twelve has been likened to its corresponding number at Augusta National, shallow and fronted by a stream you can see why:

Thirteen is a fine four, driving semi-blind over the top of a hill crest. Stay high right for a flat, but lengthy approach or risking the burn, kick forward and left with the slope knowing the ball on your second shot will almost inevitably be above your feet ?:

Pitreavie peters out a bit from here as it tracks around the perimeter of the property. The fifteenth green - deceived by a short cross-bunker, and falling away while climbing back behind a flanking bunker - a lone highlight.

A solid "5" on the Doak Scale in my book, and only 23GBP in the summer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:16:18 PM by Clyde Johnson »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
Twelve has been likened to its corresponding number at Augusta National, shallow and fronted by a stream you can see why:

To me, the angle of that looks more like a flipped version of the original 16th at Augusta National, before Trent Jones changed it.  MacKenzie compared the original of the 16th to a hole at Stoke Poges ... perhaps he'd practiced on another hole first!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
The original 16th at Augusta - which Gene Sarazen said was one of the worst holes on the course. In fact, Gene took credit for having Trent Jones come in and change it; he'd complained to Roberts a few years earlier. Here's his quote, from when he was 94 years old, talking about the original Augusta layout:

"No, I wasn't impressed [by the design]. I didn't care for it. It was not a good course when Jones and Mackenzie finished it -- a very poor design. Hell, number eleven was a drive and a pitch. They used to drive the seventeenth hole. Sixteen was a terrible hole, one hundred yards over a ditch. And the first hole should've been like St Andrews' [wide open] first, but it wasn't anything like it....[Years later] I remember going out for drinks with Roberts one evening and I told him that number sixteen is a terrible hole. One hundred yards over a ditch. 'Now go get Trent Jones', I said".

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:22 PM »

"To me, the angle of that looks more like a flipped version of the original 16th at Augusta National, before Trent Jones changed it.  MacKenzie compared the original of the 16th to a hole at Stoke Poges ... perhaps he'd practiced on another hole first!"

Perhaps, and probably a lazy/convenient comparison! That photo is taken almost across the green, though the medal tee (which hides low and right of the previous green) tackles it on a similar(ish) angle. The main tees take the green straight on, and from up-high:

Interestingly, a (non-Mackenzie drawn) plan made for the club's opening brochure shows the stream culverted, with the green extending across this...so perhaps not?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
A stirring comeback saw James Boon knock me out as he holed a 15 footer on 18 to win one up at Notts this afternoon, having been 3 down with 6 to play.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
A stirring comeback saw James Boon knock me out as he holed a 15 footer on 18 to win one up at Notts this afternoon, having been 3 down with 6 to play.

Did Boony do a Rory celebration in the Ryder Cup?

Well played Mark you must have been on fire to be 3 ahead with 6 to play against James on his home patch!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back