News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
I realise that none of my posts stipulate handicap full allowance.  We all OK with that?

I'm fine with that Mark. Didn't want to play more than one match anyway.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
I realise that none of my posts stipulate handicap full allowance.  We all OK with that?

I'm fine with that Mark. Didn't want to play more than one match anyway.
I believe stats still suggest that, even with full allowance, low handicappers still wBeat high handicappers more often than not.  Getting shots rarely seems to help me.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Gallant

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »
FBD

The trophy should be the Eddie Waring Quaich with the "plate" comp being for the Early Bath Cup (which no doubt I'll be the first entry for on Sunday  :( ).

Niall
Sunday?  Is NBWL to be the venue for the historic first match in this competition?

No, but I'll still be entered for the comp I'm sure.

Michael

That's the sort of chat you get to entice others to make rash bets. I don't believe a word of it! Look forward to catching up with you on Saturday.

Niall

Niall, you are wise to not take Michael at his word. I recall the last time Michael and I played together, I was the victim of a pretty sound thumping at Silloth!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
One more thing.  If we're going to play at interesting places, and that must be the intention, then let's write reports here of the matches, with impressions of the courses we play on.  Those who believe there's such a thing as a good match play course may also want to comment on whether your venue is that!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Greg Taylor

Re: UK GCAers - any interest in a knockout comp?
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
I'm in - Warwick.

We didn't have a Christmas get together this year did we...?!

Hi Greg,

As I am drawn to play you I live in Rutland - maybe a match at Northants County would suffice as its almost in between us and a GCA worthy course

I am open to your suggestions

Cheers
Ben

Ben I just mailed you. Let me know if it didn't get through.

James Boon

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
Mark,

Thanks again for organising this. Is it possible that you and I will be bridging the north south divide on this or is your "limited understanding of geography" to blame?  ;D  I'll drop you an e-mail to arrange our match.

Is the plan to use an element of geographical judgement for each round, or are there 2 halves to this draw? To be honest an element of adjusting for geography seems sensible to me?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:04 AM »
James,

There are two halves to the draw, roughly, with you, Duncan and I floating.  Some geographical adjustment may, where appropriate, be applied in later rounds.....

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »
Mark

Given that there are still eight of us to join the fray in Round 2, would you agree to doing a 2nd round draw now, so the players in round one know who they would play next, rather than having to wait for all the fixtures to be fulfilled. It would give those of us waiting in the wings a vested interest in 1st round proceedings and the opportunity to do a bit of pre-planning for potential Round 2 venues.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Mark Pearce

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 04:53:50 AM »
Robin,

It's already done!  I've drawn the whole bracket.  I'll see what I can do about putting it up this evening.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 05:22:26 AM »
Thanks Mark. Look forward to seeing what you've got.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Ben Stephens

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »
Mark,

Can the draw sheet include the chosen course to play in between the players names on the sheet instead of 'VS' and one of the criteria is that both players make a comment regarding the course and give it a rating possibly using Doak Scale on the draw sheet.

It would be interesting to see what was the best course used in the knockout.

Its a no brainer that James and you have to play your match at Alwoodley :)

Cheers
Ben

MJohnson

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
OK, I have, using a random number generator and my limited understanding of geography, done a draw.  We have 24 participants, so there are 8 byes, which have gone to messrs Galbraith, Goodale, Cheslett, Arble, White, Johnson, Haring and Hiseman.  !st round matches are:  Stamm vs Wiggett; McIntosh vs Johnson, Carlton vs Graham, Boon vs Pearce, Gawith vs Dolton, Lawrence vs Muldoon, Krume vs Payne, and Greg T vs Stephens. 

I note that Niall and Michael are both at Goswick this Saturday, if they want to arrange their match for then!  I reckon contributions of £4 should cover a rather nice trophy.  I've just gone for a straight knockout this year.  If it works we can try some of the more complicated suggestions in future years.  Can we tray to get first round matches played by, say, the end of March?  Then that should give us 6-7 weeks for each of the following rounds with a view to an Autumn final.

Only one problem. There are two Johnsons noted in the draw but no initials to either. One has a bye and one has a match. Which one am I?
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

MJohnson

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 09:35:56 AM »
Aye, I'd be keen.

(St. Andrews)

I can only assume that I have a bye as David McIntosh is based in Edinburgh and will play Clyde.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
Aye, I'd be keen.

(St. Andrews)

I can only assume that I have a bye as David McIntosh is based in Edinburgh and will play Clyde.
Sorry, yes, that's right.  Clyde is the first, you have the bye.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:02:37 PM by Mark Pearce »

MJohnson

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
Aye, I'd be keen.

(St. Andrews)

Sorry Mark but your reply just shows up as ----/size --- on my laptop !!
Could you clarify please?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Sorry, don't know why that is!  Yes, you get the bye, Clyde is in first round action.  I've amended post 58 to clarify.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:51:21 PM by Mark Pearce »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
Mark

Given that there are still eight of us to join the fray in Round 2, would you agree to doing a 2nd round draw now, so the players in round one know who they would play next, rather than having to wait for all the fixtures to be fulfilled. It would give those of us waiting in the wings a vested interest in 1st round proceedings and the opportunity to do a bit of pre-planning for potential Round 2 venues.
Robin, you meet the winner of GregT vs Ben Stephens.

MJohnson

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »
Sorry, don't know why that is!  Yes, you get the bye, Clyde is in first round action.  I've amended post 58 to clarify.

Thanks for the clarification. Computers are one of the most confusing things in life.

Paul Nash

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »

I was a bit late seeing this so will join next time but happy to host a grudge match in Wokingham (Bearwood Lakes) if you need a venue - and another could join to make up a 4-ball

Sam Krume

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »

sorry to be a pain in ze derriere but I am also seeing ----/size --- on my laptop....not presuming ill be getting passed the 1st round though..

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:09 PM »

sorry to be a pain in ze derriere but I am also seeing ----/size --- on my laptop....not presuming ill be getting passed the 1st round though..

Sam,

just quote the post where you can not read the text and then resize said text to 10 to make it legible. It is one of the quirks of the revamped website.

Jon

Sam Krume

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »

Sam,

just quote the post where you can not read the text and then resize said text to 10 to make it legible. It is one of the quirks of the revamped website.

Jon

Jon,

Many thanks for your guidance on this but alas no joy. My laptop wont even let me change said mentioned text size.....

sam

Sean_A

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »
Sam

When making/editing a post, underneath SUBJECT and MESSAGING are a ton of function icons.  On the far right is a red one of brackets (I think).  Tap that thing and you can delete all the sizing, extra spacing, colour etc crap.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sam Krume

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2017, 04:57:44 AM »
Thanks Sean,
Still cant see the draw though. Never mind....never can see past the 1st round anyway!!

sam

Ben Stephens

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
Aye, I'd be keen.

(St. Andrews)

Mark is there a drawsheet that you tried to upload to this thread if so I cant see it either. Have you tried photobucket?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back