News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Re: UK GCAers - any interest in a knockout comp?
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 04:40:40 AM »
I'm in Oxford, though Mark knows that...

Adam,

Please be very careful, after watching Inspector Morse on PBS it seems the most likely city in the UK to be murdered in!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 04:59:31 AM »

Adam,

Please be very careful, after watching Inspector Morse on PBS it seems the most likely city in the UK to be murdered in!

And if you include the fictional county of Midsomer, which is based around Oxfordshire, the murder rate approaches USA levels!

;D

http://www.visitmidsomer.com/

Even the golf courses are not safe!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1447353/?ref_=adv_li_tt

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:14:41 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Simon Holt

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
I've only scanned through so forgive any repetition.  The Outpost Club have a knockout event that has people travelling across the US to play at either neutral venues or one of the competitors home clubs by mutual agreement.  If that works with much bigger distances and green fees, surely whoever is genuinely interested can make this work in the UK?

Then once (and I'm guessing the actual number of rounds) they are down to the last few rounds they have a finals weekend that all other members are welcome to.  Those not still in the matchplay play a consolation strokeplay/stableford while the finals are played out.  In that sense it would be easy to have the semis and the final at a late season UK GCA gathering while the others played around it.

Just my 2-pence.  Summer is a right-off for me unfortunately but great idea, Mark.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 07:19:55 AM »

Adam,

And if you include the fictional county of Midsomer, which is based around Oxfordshire, the murder rate approaches USA levels!

;D

http://www.visitmidsomer.com/

Even the golf courses are not safe!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1447353/?ref_=adv_li_tt
It must be a university town thing.  The fictional village of Grantchester, just outside Cambridge also seems a pretty dangerous spot to live.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Paul Dolton

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »

I'm in for the ko if it goes ahead.

Does anyone know which golf club was used in " The doglegged murders " in Midsomer ?

Ive lived in Oxford all my life and its relatively safe !

Although its very overpriced and we do enjoy some spectacular traffic jams !

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »

Does anyone know which golf club was used in " The doglegged murders " in Midsomer ?

Gerards Cross for the outbuildings, Burnham Beeches for the clubhouse, and Chiddingfold for the course.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1447353/locations

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:32:05 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Ed Tilley

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »

Id be interested.
Frilford , Oxfordshire

I'm also interested, and I also play at Frilford. Might be the easiest 1st round match to arrange!

MJohnson

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
I would be interested as it would be a good way of meeting more people on here.

Based in Stourbridge , Midlands and play at Enville and Wharton Park.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Mark Pearce

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »
OK, I have, using a random number generator and my limited understanding of geography, done a draw.  We have 24 participants, so there are 8 byes, which have gone to messrs Galbraith, Goodale, Cheslett, Arble, White, MJohnson, Haring and Hiseman.  !st round matches are:  Stamm vs Wiggett; McIntosh vs Clyde Johnson, Carlton vs Graham, Boon vs Pearce, Gawith vs Dolton, Lawrence vs Muldoon, Krume vs Payne, and Greg T vs Stephens. 

I note that Niall and Michael are both at Goswick this Saturday, if they want to arrange their match for then!  I reckon contributions of £4 should cover a rather nice trophy.  I've just gone for a straight knockout this year.  If it works we can try some of the more complicated suggestions in future years.  Can we tray to get first round matches played by, say, the end of March?  Then that should give us 6-7 weeks for each of the following rounds with a view to an Autumn final.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:21:52 PM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason Topp

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »
Will there be a parimutuel betting pool?

Marc Haring

« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
OK, I have, using a random number generator and my limited understanding of geography, done a draw.  We have 24 participants, so there are 8 byes, which have gone to messrs Galbraith, Goodale, Cheslett, Arble, White, Johnson, Haring and Hiseman.  !st round matches are:  Stamm vs Wiggett; McIntosh vs Johnson, Carlton vs Graham, Boon vs Pearce, Gawith vs Dolton, Lawrence vs Muldoon, Krume vs Payne, and Greg T vs Stephens. 

I note that Niall and Michael are both at Goswick this Saturday, if they want to arrange their match for then!  I reckon contributions of £4 should cover a rather nice trophy.  I've just gone for a straight knockout this year.  If it works we can try some of the more complicated suggestions in future years.  Can we tray to get first round matches played by, say, the end of March?  Then that should give us 6-7 weeks for each of the following rounds with a view to an Autumn final.

Sounds perfect. Thanks Mark.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »
I'm in - Warwick.

We didn't have a Christmas get together this year did we...?!

Hi Greg,

As I am drawn to play you I live in Rutland - maybe a match at Northants County would suffice as its almost in between us and a GCA worthy course

I am open to your suggestions

Cheers
Ben

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
Given that it's a knockout tournament, maybe the 'Eddie Waring' trophy? Obviously, the 'Stuart Hall' cup may not be appropriate anymore. Apologies to US (or younger) readers, who haven't the foggiest idea who either are.

Looking forward to the 2nd round, when the big guns enter the fray ;)
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »
Given that it's a knockout tournament, maybe the 'Eddie Waring' trophy? Obviously, the 'Stuart Hall' cup may not be appropriate anymore. Apologies to US (or younger) readers, who haven't the foggiest idea who either are.

Brilliant.
The full title for the trophy should however be, 'The Eddie Waring Up and Under Early Bath Memorial Trophy'

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
FBD

The trophy should be the Eddie Waring Quaich with the "plate" comp being for the Early Bath Cup (which no doubt I'll be the first entry for on Sunday  :( ).

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
FBD

The trophy should be the Eddie Waring Quaich with the "plate" comp being for the Early Bath Cup (which no doubt I'll be the first entry for on Sunday  :( ).

Niall
Sunday?  Is NBWL to be the venue for the historic first match in this competition?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »

Brilliant.
The full title for the trophy should however be, 'The Eddie Waring Up and Under Early Bath Memorial Trophy'

Cheers,
F.

bigots
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
I see no mention of the other presenter of It's a Knockout.  I believe he is still alive.  I wonder why not?

Michael Graham

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
FBD

Niall

Ah I don't know Niall. I've got a bit of twinge in my back plus I've not played much recently. I fancy you to go pretty deep this year. Hopefully I can find some semblance of a game before the weekend.

Michael

Niall C

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
FBD

Niall
Sunday?  Is NBWL to be the venue for the historic first match in this competition?

No, but I'll still be entered for the comp I'm sure.

Michael

That's the sort of chat you get to entice others to make rash bets. I don't believe a word of it! Look forward to catching up with you on Saturday.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Some right dodgy speech play going on already.
I now defo can't make Friday or Saturday this weekend (was hoping even just to drive over to Goswick for a coffee or grub), but could maybe get to NB on Sunday. Anything happening other than the big spite match?

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
FBD

Niall

Early Bath 'Tub' surely?
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Thomas Dai

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »
The full title for the trophy should however be, 'The Eddie Waring Up and Under Early Bath Memorial Trophy'.

For every Eddie saying "Up-n-under" there's a Bill saying " Garryowen"!
Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
Niall,

all his talk about a bad back from Michael is probably just preparing the way for him producing a medical exemption certificate on the first tee ;D

Jon

Mark Pearce

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
I realise that none of my posts stipulate handicap full allowance.  We all OK with that?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back