News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #325 on: October 03, 2017, 05:50:05 AM »
Sean

Hard to say. I don’t think there was much difference in length between the various tee boxes on the par 4’s. Interestingly we chose to move to the forward tee on 3 of the par 4’s (my choice on 4 and 15 and Tony’s choice on 10). For me that was to hit a club I was more comfortable with.

For the par 5’s Tony chose the forward tee on 8th and the back tee on 9th and 11th. I think by that time he might have sussed that my driver wasn’t behaving too well and that maybe lengthening the hole might work in his favour.

Niall

Niall

I was referring to the drop rule.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #326 on: October 03, 2017, 06:05:58 AM »
Ah. We only had call to use it once when I dropped at the 5th but Tony won the hole anyway.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »
Well done Spangles.  It is good to know you and Niall applied a modified Torda Cup rule and the man with honour choose the tee.  Question...did the Torda Cup rule make a difference on any hole?

Ciao

I've been musing on being able to choose the tees.

Interesting question.
I had the honour from the 4th  until the 15th.  And received 5 shots on them.  The shots certainly make a difference.
Once I’d got the two holes back, mostly my thinking was don’t lose the holes where there’s no shot and stretch the shot holes. Played 4 (pin at front) and 6 (pin at hack) off Blue (boxes).
8 had no stroke and I moved upto the reds, 428 yards. This nearly back fired as Niall played a much better tee shot, but neither of us hit the green and we walked away with a half.  You walk directly forward from the back of the green and the hole looks attractive from there. But the next day I was reminded there’s a pretty substantial, half hidden bunker in front of the Blue/White tees that’s been there some time.

9 I stretched to the back off the whites as I thought my shot in hand gave me more advantage that way.
Standing on the red tee at 10 with only a 9 iron to hit, felt good and my shot put a lot of pressure on him.
Niall had a superb 3 on 15 and on 16 he decided to layup before the burn, even though I was dormie and with my last shot about to come.    Had it been all square and my honour it would have an interesting choice. 
Can’t see how it made much difference on the majority of the par 4’s.
We also teed off 18 from the reds. I have a feeling that this is the original line, not so close to the road and closer to the current 1st green which was once the 17th.

I did feel being able to choose the tee when you had shots to come was a real confidence giver and maybe disproportionally advantageous. Maybe a more interesting format would be:
For the first 9 the person without the honour choose the tees, and then flip on the back nine to the choice of tee going with the honour.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
Tony

Just a thought. Was the stroke index from the red tees the same as from the whites/yellows?
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Sean_A

« Reply #329 on: October 05, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
Cheers Spangles.  As you know, I rarely play choose your tee with the honour to work on gameship advantage...it is 90% about playing the closest tee to the previous green.  Though I must say that at Burnham it was a revelation because it is a totally different course from the forward tees not just because of yardage, but due to angle differences and pinchpoints.  This is when I thought the course was better than I originally surmised.  It is a shame more courses don't have different angles for tee shots....so much weight s put on added yards rather than added intererest.

Doc...we usually use yellow/daily tee indexes regardless of tee colour used. 

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
Tony

Just a thought. Was the stroke index from the red tees the same as from the whites/yellows?

Exactly, lets have a recount !! Actually a good question but as we took the strokes from the gents card and the total number of shots was the same I don't think it made that much difference. I suppose moving the tee on the most difficult hole might make the differential a lot less but then there are so many other variables in each persons game to make a difference.

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
.... as you were, the SI's on the Gents and Ladies cards at NBWL are identical.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »
.... as you were, the SI's on the Gents and Ladies cards at NBWL are identical.

"Ian, what can I get you?"
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Davis

« Reply #333 on: October 05, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »
So Tony wins...now I've heard it all. Nice job Tony!

It's often said that matchplay is won or lost with the negotiation that occurs before the first tee shot. Tony is clearly a gaming master. To be able to play he hardest holes from the red tees and still get a shot, Niall that's sheer insanity. Either you were way too confident or you were just tricked into that one by one clever fellow.

There is no chance on this earth I would of been on the poor end of such a negotiation unless of course there was a beautiful woman conning me.

Again nice work on being crowned the best matchplay con-artist from the UK GCA'ers Tony!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #334 on: October 05, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »
For the first 9 the person without the honour choose the tees, and then flip on the back nine to the choice of tee going with the honour.

Congratulations Tony and well done to all who participated.

Having played it a couple of times in the company of a regular poster herein I reckon the opportunity of varying the tee has a lot of potential, especially in adverse weather. I tend to go along with Tony comment above though that predetermining who has the choice is a appropriate addition. Flip a coin for front/back-9's or odd/even SI numbers perhaps?

atb

Niall C

« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »
David

I don’t want to say too much else about my strategy in case it is noted for next year ! What I will say is that Tony hits the ball as far, and probably further than I do. In my match with James Boon, the driver was my best and most trusted weapon but when I played Tony I was struggling with it hence happy to move up to play a shorter club.

I’d also say that normally I’m happy to match my short game against anyone however in the final Tony’s short game was stronger than mine. As I said before, no excuses, just beaten by the better golfer.

Niall 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back